• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fishinglink
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2015

Brownell's/Satern barrel

Are the brownell's barrels with bolt good to go? Seems they are the only ones in my budget with the .136 bolt. Not really wanting to wait 6-umpteen weeks for a radical upper. Still stuck on length though. Will be reloading eventually but will start with wolf and hornady factory loads from the beginning. Thanks in advance.
  • jurassic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

They are great barrels! Brownells has a solid reputation and a warranty as good as it gets if your're not happy. AA has a sale on barrels, might want to check them out also.
    Last edited by jurassic; 12-16-2015, 03:09 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

I got two AA 16" barrels in less than a week. My buddy has killed 2 deer with his and mine gets another chance starting Friday. These build out to really light hunting rifles. Give them a call to confirm they are still in stock, but I bet they are. Barrel and bolt, about $275. Or go 24" for another $65.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Mine has the brownells saturn barrel it started off as the 24 in but was cut down to 21 inch and recrowned and it shoots fantastic will be going to range after I get back from deer hunting in the morning I will post yall up some groups with factory 123 grain sst.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

The 24" barrels are fine. The 18" MLGS with .094" gas port needs to be choked somehow. They are gassed way hard if you don't tame the gas system. I don't know why they cut such a large port in an 18" MLGS.

It shouldn't be larger than .076" on 18" MLGS.

The AA barrels being sold right now are less even with a hard use bolt. http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/6_5...ers_Parts.html

I ordered 1 and my friend ordered one recently. Ship time was within 1.5 weeks I think. They're Duracoated on top of that, and the 16" is fluted.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Fishinglink
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2015

Can one of you with the brownell's barrel mic the od at the thread shoulder? I already have a linear comp from my 300 blk that I swapped but it slips over the barrel behind the shoulder at threads. If I can't use it then I may as well order a AA barrel.

Comment

• Grendelsbane
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              The 24" barrels are fine. The 18" MLGS with .094" gas port needs to be choked somehow. They are gassed way hard if you don't tame the gas system. I don't know why they cut such a large port in an 18" MLGS.

It shouldn't be larger than .076" on 18" MLGS.

The AA barrels being sold right now are less even with a hard use bolt. http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/6_5...ers_Parts.html

I ordered 1 and my friend ordered one recently. Ship time was within 1.5 weeks I think. They're Duracoated on top of that, and the 16" is fluted.
              This thread is costing me money! ;-)

I figure a 16" to go with my 24" makes a good combo of reach and maneuverability.

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Tell me about it. I could have ordered 4 barrels for what I paid for 2 blanks, a reamer and reamer holder. But hey, building my own barrels is "priceless".

Comment

• Rainman
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2015

It's like living in the Pacific Northwest and catching your own salmon. For about $200 per pound less you can buy it at the local market freshly flown in from Alaska. ...it must just be something about the experience of doing it yourself that makes it seem worth while.

Comment

• Flyguy11
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

What did you end up going with?

Comment

• Fishinglink
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2015

Nothing yet waiting to get specs on brownell's barrel profile

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

The profile should be stated on brownells website when you look up their Saturn made barrels.

I have a brownells barrel and it's .750 from 11degree target crown to gas port, then it enlarges to .850 i remember correctly, could be wrong bout the .850. My barrel is cut down from a 24in and its a heavy profile. Hope this info helps sir.

Comment

• Fishinglink
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2015

Thanks A5, that's the info I needed. Looks like brownell's it is so I can save a few bucks on the muzzle device.

Comment

Working...
                          X