• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schrödinger's cat
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

First Build Questions

Hi, I've been looking to build a precision AR that is accurate at 1000 yards and I found this forum. After looking around a little I decided I'd like to be part of this community
    I guess I'll update this thread with all my questions because this will be my first build.
    Firstly do you guys think this is the best AR15 caliber to reach 1000 yards for a newbie ? I know there will be lots to learn and it's very difficult to shoot anything at that distance, and I don't want to make it harder by having a sub optimal caliber. (Yes I know a bolt gun is a better way to start) realistically I won't get many opportunities to shoot at 1000 yards because I believe the longest range in NJ is 600 yards so I'd have to travel to PA.
    Next, I'd like to get a 24" - 26" bull barrel. Are there any barrels under $350 other then the blackholeweaponry barrel that I should be looking at ?
    TIA, and thanks for having me here.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

You can look at J&T Distributing who offer several stainless steel 6.5 Grendel. Another barrel in that price range would be from Brownell's.

I can get to 1000 yards with my 20" Shilen at 350' above sea level and still stay supersonic.

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2015

I saw the doublestar barrel, but a 24" bull barrel for $187 sounded a little cheap for long range accuracy. Are they as good as BHW barrels ?

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2015

Also would you recommend the Brownells barrel (liberty - Saturn) with a bolt and medium contour for $299 or the BHW bull barrel with polygonal rifling for $270 ?

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

You have to take into consideration some barrels come with matching bolt. J&T/Double Star will sell barrel alone or with the bolt which of course adds to the price. Brownell's barrel comes with matching bolt. The BHW barrels do not generally include the bolt so you need add $50-$80 for a bolt which you have to purchase from a seperate vendor.

I know a couple people who bought Stainless Steel 6.5 Grendel barrels from J&T and they are satisfied. Only downside to the J&T barrels is they are 1:9 twist whereas some people like 1:8 twist as they plan on shooting 139-140 grain bullets. The 1:9 twist probably isn't optimum for the heavy bullets. My 1-9 twist barrels are accurate with bullets from 85-123 grains. I personally have not tried to shoot any of the heavier 6.5/.264 bullets.

If I were choosing between Brownells and BHW I'd probably buy a BHW barrel with SAAMI 6.5 Grendel chamber and 1:8 twist even if it cost more.
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-31-2015, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2015

Thank you VASCAR2, does anyone else have a recommended barrel in this price range for long range accuracy ?

Comment

• 204 AR
                Warrior
                • Sep 2015

I will second BHW. I have an 18" 1-9 twist from them that's almost 1/2 moa with 100 gr amax. Plus several other barrels from them that are just as good, and another on the way in 243 lbc.

For what you want I would go 1-8 like was suggested, 24" bull from BHW. There are never any guarantees where accuracy is concerned but that's where my money would go.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Criterion from Precision Firearms at that price range.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2015

Thank you LRRPF52

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Over time I have discovered that 2 things almost never go together, extreme accuracy and "budget"! If I were attempting a budget accuracy build, I would probably select a Criterion barrel as LRRPF suggests, or I would see if I could come up with a good Black Hole barrel. However, I would not expect either to have the accuracy of a Lilja, Shilen or Bartlein. A 24" Bartlein would probably be my first choice, with either of the other two a very close second. What you pay for with the more expensive barrels is consistency....you can EXPECT that any of those 3 will be accurate. You will occasionally get lucky and have a Criterion, Black Hole, or some other barrel that is very accurate, but you can't expect that they will be anywhere near as consistent barrel to barrel as you can Shilen, Lilja, or Bartlein.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

You can even get lucky with ER Shaw barrels (I have in past with .223 anyway). I have two in grendel that I have not fired and until I do they are both extremely accurate and not at all accurate at the same time. : )

Comment

• schrödinger's cat
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2015

Thank you. A person must be in tune with his reality. My 16 year old ford is not a Ferrari, and I can't drive it like one, but I take care of it the best I can ...

Comment

Working...
                          X