Clear All
  • JMS11
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2015

Barrel/Bolt combinations

• LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. The face depth has been reported both ways to me when I've asked, whether JP is using .124" or .136".

I would need to have them in hand.

For the guys that have JP's, if you could measure your bolt face depth with the end of the slide on your calipers, that would be great.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JMS11
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2015

Thanks for the warm welcome. JP's website says it is a type II bolt, which from my understanding means it should be the .136" depth, correct? So I would think the Liberty barrel, designed for a .136" bolt, should be compatible as long as both are within manufacturing tolerances. Or is the proper headspace such a narrow window that both the bolt & barrel could be "within tolerance" but the stackup causes it to be outside of correct headspace? This is my first rifle build other than standard .223 builds so I've never really had to worry about headspace issues before.
      Last edited by JMS11; 01-02-2016, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Which barrel length are you looking at from Brownell's?

What are your goals for this build?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JMS11
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2015

I'm looking at the 18" barrel. I've read that the midlength gas system on that is overgassed so I'm planning on adjustable gas block too.

As for goals...well I want to eventually make it out to a 1000 yard range and see how it does. It also gives me a reason to get into hand loading.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

MLGS is fine, with the right port diameter for 18" Trying to get an 18" MLGS with a .094" tamed can be a pain in the neck.

I've been dealing with an Underground Tactical 18" MLGS with .094" port that even with adjustable gas, is on the ragged edge between bolt locks back, and failure to extract due to excessive carrier speed. It really needs at least an H3 buffer, if not something heavier.

If your main purpose it to shoot out to 1000yds, I would look at a longer barrel. At my altitude, it doesn't really matter as much, but down closer to sea level, you might want more speed. I'm not sure where you're at.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
            X