• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornbread
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

New build and range report

Finally got everything together and made it to the range. Build specs.

Aero slick side upper
    Aero lower
    BHW 264 LBC barrel 1x8 mid gas
    UTG pro FDE 13" rail
    SAA BCG and bolt
    Magpul CTR
    Joe Bobs adjustable gas block
    Mid length tube
    Rock river 2 stage with JP springs
    A2 flash hider
    Burris PEPR
    Nikon 4.5x14 BDC

Made it to the range today. Fired 40 rounds of Hornady 123 amax.
    I had the gas block about 3/4 open.
    First shot was ejecting about 1 oclock,opened the gas block a touch.
    I had three failures to eject in the 40 rounds.
    looked like the carrier was coming back and the rounds were not ejecting out and the carrier came forward trying to pick up another round.
    I was using a pos caldwel strap on brass collector so I'm not sure if it was causing issues.I fired 3 rounds without it at the end of the session and brass was ejecting at 3:00.

I did my normal barrel break in. Clean after every shot the first 5 and then each 5 after for 20 rounds.

Usually you can tell a lot about your barrel during the break in. I was getting powder fouling but ZERO copper. 2 patches and barrel was clean.
    Accuracy was about 3/4 to 1" initially. After 25 rounds I just shot the last 15 because the fouling was so minimal. The groups seemed to tighten, not sure if it was the barrel just breaking in or just not cleaning so much and letting the barrel settle in.

Overall very satisfied. I have no doubt with hand loads I can get 1/2" groups.
    As for the ejection issue I will see how it works out, not going to panic yet.

I know it's not a "Grendel" lol but thanks for all the help. Been lurking for quite a while.
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

The rifle looks great and seems to be a shooter. I have to ask, is it locking back all the way on an empty mag?

Comment

• Cornbread
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

Yes. The first thing I do with a new build is chamber 1 round and see if it cylcles and locks back. It locked back every time on the last round. It was just strange to have those 3 odd malfunctions.

As for the accuracy I normally shoot at our deer camp at a private 300 yd range no distractions. But it is a 2 hour drive. So I went to a public range closer to the house. 3 guys next to me blasting away. Shooting on bags not the mechanical rest we have at the camp. Still not bad.

Comment

• Buster
        Warrior
        • Mar 2012

Nice looking unit!
        Just keep shooting it,,,,probably the more you shoot it the tighter those groups will get.
        I still get fliers like that...and it still aggravates the hell out of me!

I use similar printable targets like yours......real easy to line up the reticle

Comment

• Drillboss
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

Like I said, I had to ask. A buddy of mine would reply to such questions with "Yes, I've already clubbed all of the baby seals".

My next guess is a weak extractor spring. Otherwise, you've exceeded my knowledge base.

Comment

• Cornbread
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
            Like I said, I had to ask. A buddy of mine would reply to such questions with "Yes, I've already clubbed all of the baby seals".

My next guess is a weak extractor spring. Otherwise, you've exceeded my knowledge base.
            Haha that's a good line. I was using a cheap strap on caldwel brass catcher. Just wondering if it was keeping the brass from ejecting. It was sliding around,hard to keep lined up. Next time I shoot I'm going to ditch it and just pick up the brass.

Comment

• danm
              Warrior
              • Aug 2014

Very nice, my BHW 18" 1:9 started out around .75" and progressively got better... It actually prefers SST's over Amax's but not by much. Happy Grendeling!

Comment

Working...
              X