• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedXds
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2016

Another "If only one" with a twist!

OK guys I'm 5'10", stocky 180-190 and 41 yrs. I've been shooting in little league competition to just blasting away sense I was 7. I've had everything from FAL's to precision.. I'm a avid hunter living in SC and I also enjoy long distance shooting. As far as my hunting rig I've been humping a Remy 308, 26" sendero profile, sitting in a McMillan A3 sniper filled, and it shoots lights out. Issue is humping that 16lb behemoth in the woods and through tight spots. Which brings me to here after doing the research building a 6.5 Grendel is so effective and efficient it fits my needs perfectly. I've got my share of rifles of course but what I'm about to do is essentially unheard-of for someone like me. Being that the AR platform is so modular I really am striving to build a single multipurpose do everything well enough rifle...emphasis on hunting (deer & hogs) and self defense with the occasional trip to the range out to >1,000. If I find that I can manage this I'm willing to become the master of one rifle (already solved the handgun lol).

So here is what I've got thus far:

1) PSA upper and lower forged with buffer tube. Cerekote Burnt Bronze. Now I've got this on sale in house because it was blemished but that's no biggie. Unassembled....I feel a little too much slop but know how to deal with that...should I start over??
    2) Gen 1 LMT sopmod
    3) Leupold Mk4 2.5 x 10 x 40 M3 (really wish I had a M2 illuminated. And I'll have to send my scope in to add illumination and custom turrents)
    4) Aimpoint CompM4 still in the QRP (need a new cowitness base and thinking on Midwest Industries mount)
    5) 13" Troy Alpha with integrated front sight. With squid grips (keeps my hands from freezing or slipping. Love it
    6) Troy rear BUS
    7)BCM MOD 3
    8)Harris Bipod no picatinny mount
    9)Vickers/Blue Force sling
    10) Bad Ass Bolt release
    11) Moe grip

That's about it. So working off that give me some ideas? What would YOU add or change? I've looked at the Magpul PRS and I like it. The style of hunting I do is physical, sometimes at night. Stands are far out, I stalk, and use climbers too. So weight comes into play as does barrel length. Nothing longer than 20". I'm on the fence about running supressed, I'm 50/50. Seriously guys throw some ideas at me what have I missed?

I'm pretty serious on
    1) ADM Recon 20 MOA QD
    2) LMT MBT-2S vs Geissle National Match (use to a 2lb perfect trigger on my 700)
    3)Troy ambi safety

So if your only to build 1 rifle in 6.5 Grendel what would you build for me?
    Last edited by RedXds; 02-08-2016, 04:02 AM.
  • Beerswimmer
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

A quality barrel and decide on sight. I'd ditch the BUIS, unless you have a QR setup for your primary sight.
    UT ALII VIVANT !!!

Comment

• COTNTOP
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Larue QD for the Aimpoint

Comment

• Fredman
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Go with a 3.5# trigger. You can avoid bump firing, and premature firing while hunting.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Get a good barrel/bolt combo with the SAAMI chamber and a reputable bolt/extractor.

I like the 16-18" for versatility. A 20" at sea level will be better for reaching out if you ever find a range that has over 1000yds (very rare out East).

A 16" or shorter will cover all your hunting needs really, and is still supersonic to 975yds at sea level in 59* F temp with a 123gr SMK or Scenar at 2450fps.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• RedXds
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2016

I like having a BUS. Old habits die hard I suppose. Plus my rail has a integrated flip up front site. Everything will be modular even though accuracy may take a hit reguardless of manufacture claims on removal and repeatable optic switching. I hope I'm wrong on that. I know others have had good success with quality QD mounts....we'll see. I'm just accustomed to rock solid mounts. LaRue mount that allows a lower (absolute) cowitness will be my top pick yes.

Where I live I've got access to 500, 650, 800, and one nearby has a 1000yrd range. So I liked the challenges of shooting distance...it's so rewarding to learn your dope and reading wind. Pleanty meat on that bone to grow lol.

To be honest the 16" barrel would be my preference. I like the handy size, ESPECIALLY going through the thick brush I sometimes go when hunting. I've read your data on 16 vs 18 inch barrels, so I can live with shorter IF and it's a big IF I can get lucky to obtain one that's very accurate. And again, allows me to go hang out and not get smoked too bad with my buddies that shoot competitively (338 lapua, the other .260 Remington). So while I'm always up for saving money on the barrel I'm willing to spend. But I also realize that spending crazy amounts of money doesn't still guarantee any sizable gains in some cases from what I've read dealing with the 6.5

I know I'm of the minority on barrel lengths, but I'm open to having a longer barrel up to 20" max. That I can still live with.

BTW, any information or opinions on the Christian (?) Armory carbon fiber 20" barrels? Typically I think CF barrels are overkill but this may have a place if they come with gleaming recommendations....
            Last edited by RedXds; 02-08-2016, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X