• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65Whelen
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Barrel, crown or thread?

I going to cut a barrel back from 18" to 16". Should I have it threaded or just have a target crown cut? If threaded, what pitch, the 9/16-24 or 5/8-24?
  • Beerswimmer
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

I would get it threaded to 5/8-24, just because then you have options. Thread protector, suppressor, compensator, etc...
    UT ALII VIVANT !!!

Comment

• Jakal
      Warrior
      • May 2014

Thread at 5/8-24 as suggested by Beerswimmer. Picked up one of these to protect the threads...use a little blue Locktite.
      Muzzle Thread Caps We are offering an internally threaded muzzle cap for AR type and other threaded muzzles. The outside diameter of these are .740″ and .875″ diameters to match our AR barrels in front of the gas block section and  5/8″ – 24 TPI threads. We machine these from the same stainless steel we... View Article

until I decide to put a Precision Firearms break on...
      Precision Firearms LMD Brake LMD- Level Muzzle Device for Normal Standard .740 Diameter Barrels. Typical AR Barrel. Tapered Muzzle end is .725". Large Diameter is .990". Length is 2 inches. This is our own in house machined Billet brake. Made from 416 Stainless. 11 Degree Target Crown. Top ports are off center to help with countering barrel torque. Includes Shim kit. Available in: For 223 Caliber - 1/2x28 For 224 Valkyrie Caliber - 5/8x24 For 6.5 Caliber - 5/8x24 For 6.5 Caliber -9/16x24 For 308 Caliber - 5/8x24 Cerakoted Stainless + $15 Phalanx (Black Nitride) +$10 Bead Blasted +$5
      ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Is it for target, hunting, or both? If hunting/both, get it threaded.

What's the barrel profile? What is the diameter of the fore end near the muzzle, or what will it be when cut?
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Is it for target, hunting, or both? If hunting/both, get it threaded...
          This^^^

Strictly design wise the 9/16 is the better fit for a Grendel Barrel. However, whatever benefits it offers does not begin to out weight the benefit of options that the 5/8 threading offers.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Only if the barrel diameter is less than .725" should u need to run a 9/16-24 thread. That should only come into play on a pencil profile. You have many more options as far as attachments with the 5/8-24 thread.

Richard
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• 65Whelen
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

The barrel is slightly smaller than the .750 gas block with no taper to the muzzle, so the 5/8x24 should work and provide more attachment options.

Another possible way to go? cut to 16" and machine a muzzle brake/flashhider into the barrel end. If I recall another Horde member had this done giving him a 14.5" barrel but still at the minimum 16" overall length. Anyone know we're I might get this done?
              Last edited by 65Whelen; 02-13-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• rocksoldier1
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2013

I believe Satern made a barrel like that at one time. Maybe still do?

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

I know that if I don't plan to suppress, and razors edge accuracy and consistency are my goals, I would suggest a simple target crown. Muzzle breaks are great and have their purpose, but the noise is cumbersome when hunting and you have to put your hearing protection on before making the shot, I've only ever used a flash hider for crown protection on a barrel already threaded, and if your planning to suppress, you probably wouldn't have to ask the question. Even with a timed brake/flash hider/suppressor, you will notice slight POI shift when you remove to clean. Some brakes arnt as bad as others, but I've found in my experience, when looking for that very fine razors edge accuracy/consistentcy, it's hard to beat a good ol target crown.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

I agree with Kilco.

Muzzle devices add length and weight (and cost) and in my experience do not improve the group size. In some cases they even decrease accuracy.

A simple and precise target crown influences the barrel's harmonics the least. It is also accessible for cleaning. Most fitted muzzle devices accumulate crud at the critical point where the bullet leaves the barrel inside the device.

Unless you need fast follow-up shots the recoil of this caliber does not mandate a muzzle device.

Comment

Working...
                    X