Cutting a barrel shorter, light bcg....will it all work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoxofRox
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

Cutting a barrel shorter, light bcg....will it all work?

Here's my plan, buy an 18" Rainier Arms Grendel barrel which has an intermediate gas system. I want to cut it down to 16", use an adjustable gas block, run a JP lmos bcg, and a JP scs buffer system.

Cutting a bit off the barrel with that longer gas system should drop the pressure a bit and should be a bit easier on the recoil system, so the lightweight bcg shouldn't get abused and any fine tuning can be done with the scs sping pack and the adjustable gas block.

Does this sound crazy?

Side note, it will likely be shot suppressed all the time but I'm curious if it will cycle unsuppressed as well.
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

I just don't know if it'll work, besides Precision Firearms will cut you a barrel at 16" so why not Going that route? Talk to mark about using a adjustable Gas Block to soften the abuse on the JP know.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• BoxofRox
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
      I just don't know if it'll work, besides Precision Firearms will cut you a barrel at 16" so why not Going that route? Talk to mark about using a adjustable Gas Block to soften the abuse on the JP know.
      I picked Rainier just because I have some of their stuff already and like it a lot, plus I like the intermediate gas system thing. In theory it should put less pressure to the bcg, which with the light bcg, that would be a good thing. Then with the adjustable gas block and adjustable springs on the scs, I would think you could make a really smooth shooting rifle.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Useing a adjustable gas block and scs has helped me smooth out the action and lower recoil on my grendel but it has a 21 inch barrel with rifle length gas and I dont run it surpressed.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

The ILGS was specifically set up for the 18" with the port diameter that it has. If you cut it short, you will most likely need to enlarge the port to get reliable cycling, especially in cold weather.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BoxofRox
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            The ILGS was specifically set up for the 18" with the port diameter that it has. If you cut it short, you will most likely need to enlarge the port to get reliable cycling, especially in cold weather.
            Should be simple enough, just might take a little trial end error. But by the end it should run nicely I'm assuming.

Comment

• BoxofRox
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2015

Do you see any possible advantage to going this route? Anything to do with lock time of the bolt and small velocity difference?

A small thing would be that the gas block is close to the end of the handguard for easier adjustment. And the fact that it's just something different, which I like.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by BoxofRox View Post
                Do you see any possible advantage to going this route? Anything to do with lock time of the bolt and small velocity difference?

A small thing would be that the gas block is close to the end of the handguard for easier adjustment. And the fact that it's just something different, which I like.
                Biggest thing I see that would concern me is, is the window being narrowed down for reliable operation?

If dwell time is reduced, what happens to the gas bleed duration? It goes down.

There are guys who have cut down RLGS to 17" and got them to work, at least with 123gr.

A 16" ILGS would run well suppressed, but you might need to open the gas port for reliable function when unsuppressed.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BoxofRox
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2015

Biggest thing I see that would concern me is, is the window being narrowed down for reliable operation?

If dwell time is reduced, what happens to the gas bleed duration? It goes down.

There are guys who have cut down RLGS to 17" and got them to work, at least with 123gr.

A 16" ILGS would run well suppressed, but you might need to open the gas port for reliable function when unsuppressed.
                  Good info, thanks. I guess I'll start with getting the components and see how it all looks and feels and go from there. I'm not opposed to an 18" but I plan on hunting coyote and deer with it so I would like to keep it in the "handy" size category.

Comment

Working...
                  X