Best lightweight 20-22" barrel for accuracy and lifespan (durability) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jtmbtech
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Best lightweight 20-22" barrel for accuracy and lifespan (durability) ?

I am looking for a lightweight barrel for a whitetail hunting rifle that will be used only for long range in a stand. Also will be used for long-range target shooting. I have done some research and have found 3 barrels that have bought my attention. And I just want opinions on what everyone here thinks.

1: JP 22" weighs in at 3.2 lbs cryo treated for durability
    2: lilja 20" 740 profile drop on weighs 2.6 lbs
    3: PF 20" lilja hbar weighs in 2 lbs 10 oz

I also would be willing to do another PF barrel but I want something in the 20-22" range preferably with a .750 gas block.

Also I was thinking of getting the JP enclosed adjustable buffer set up and using a lightweight steet bcg. Just to help keep weight down a little. Or would I be better with an adjustable gas block and lightweight buffer?
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

I would absolutely recommend the JP barrel. I run their 22" heavy profile and couldn't be happier with it. Currently has over 3500 rounds through it, and will still consistently hold right around MOA out to 1000 under decent conditions. The hardest part of load development for me was deciding on which 1/2"-3/4" group to pick, since almost everything shot in that range.

I haven't personally owned or shot a barrel from PF, but from everything I've read here and elsewhere I wouldn't hesitate on picking one up. I just don't have any firsthand experience with one

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Any of the barrels you listed should give you what you are looking for, As for as the jp scs and adjustable gas block. I run both on my 21 inch grendel and love them but I dont use a light weight bcg just a normal bcg.

I bought the scs that comes with the spring kit, add that with the syrac adjustable gas block and it is a very smooth running rifle

I use the syrac because the adjustment screw has a detent and not a locking screw and the adjustment screw is on the front of the block much easyer to get to adjust with a handgaurd on, very nice click adjustments as well.

Hope this helps

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

I don't see any way that you could go wring here! I think you'll be perfectly happy with any of the 3. Keep in mind that PF would turn a barrel to your specs if you'd like to tweak that barrel.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Jtmbtech
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

Thanks for all of the opinions i have been looking for months and I having a hard time making a decision. I know the lilja are button rifled is the JP? Also do you need to run both the adjustable gas block and the SCS?

Comment

• Jtmbtech
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2016

Never mind I awnsered my own question. the JP are button rifled too.

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Jtmbtech View Post
              Thanks for all of the opinions i have been looking for months and I having a hard time making a decision. I know the lilja are button rifled is the JP? Also do you need to run both the adjustable gas block and the SCS?
              I'd suggest getting whichever barrel you choice, nitrided. If you do this, whether it's cut or button will be negated and the barrel will outlast you.

You most likely won't need the adjustable gas block or the scs, but it'll make it a lot more enjoyable to shoot.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by PredatorDown View Post
                I would absolutely recommend the JP barrel. I run their 22" heavy profile and couldn't be happier with it. Currently has over 3500 rounds through it, and will still consistently hold right around MOA out to 1000 under decent conditions. The hardest part of load development for me was deciding on which 1/2"-3/4" group to pick, since almost everything shot in that range.

I haven't personally owned or shot a barrel from PF, but from everything I've read here and elsewhere I wouldn't hesitate on picking one up. I just don't have any firsthand experience with one
                I am also interested in this barrel. Is the heavy profile compatable with the Midwest industries gen 2 SS and barrel nut?

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

A Bartlien barrel from PF should be considered too. Imo Bartlien barrels are the best barrel you probably can get right now, and if it's not the top it's pretty damn close. If the Cryo treatment is important to you, than any barrel you get from PF can be Nitrided/Melonited for Durability, corrosion. I know PF is out of stock of the Medium Hbar Bartliens. But I'm sure it won't be too much longer till its back instock.

However the other barrels you listed are great barrels too and you can't go wrong with what ever you choose.
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Jtmbtech
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2016

Do you guys think I would notice a difference in accuracy between the 20 inch Lilja and the 22 inch JP? Or the 20 inch bartlien?
                    Last edited by Jtmbtech; 02-26-2016, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Jtmbtech
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2016

Also what do you guys thing about the black teflo coating JP offers? Is it inside and outside coated or just exterior like cerakote?

Comment

Working...
                      X