• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smithsession8
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2015

The Rattle Can Plunge

Been thinking of painting my AR for a long time now, and I've read up on the methods for everything from Cerakote to Rattle can. Originally wanted to do Cerakote, and maybe will one day still, but it's permenant and I'm poor. So I figure I'll do a rattle can job, because I do like the worn look, I can always touch it up. And if I don't like it, I can strip it off and Cerakote the bugger!

I've decided that I want to paint it very similar to the ADM UIC AR-15. Love the Color and the contrast between it and the Magpul FDE.

Or this pic screenshot from a Youtube video and cropped:
    MAC UIC AR (2).png

The Question:
    Does anyone know a color that should come out like that? I'll be painting over the Black Anodizing and I want it just a shade darker than the Magpul FDE.
    I've looked at Aervoe Coyote, and it looks pretty close in some pictures and way to chocolate brown in others. When I was looking at Cerakote colors I was thinking Austrian Dark Earth if you're more familiar with it and know a cheap rattle can alternative.

Thanks in advance!
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Some automotive paint stores can put mixed paint into aerosol cans for you. They may have some paint chips you could look at and choose from. I have used paint chips from lowes to scan with the color match camera. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

If you have a compressor you can buy a mini spray gun and use it instead of the rattle can.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• 762n40
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2015

Brownells aluma hyde is one of the better spray cans I found to my liking. After applying it needs a good 10-20 days to fully cure. There magpul fde is a close match to the magpul furniture. That color seems to show up lighter in pictures to my eye, so any posted picture you may see will look lighter in the picture than to the naked eye. Shake the can plenty before applying, and a big tip is to spray some paint out of can away from your project first, before each coat, to clear any unmixed paint from getting on your finished project. Any paint that has the flatening additive needs to be mixed ( can shaken ) constantly.

Comment

Working...
      X