• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Digitalfalcon
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

POLL: Type 1 or Type 2

Hello everyone. I've been reading and researching about the type 1 and type 2 barrels / bolts. It seems like there are more type 1 barrels available and for a more affordable price. However, from what I've read the type 2's are better / stronger. It has led my curiosity to wonder what the members of the Horde are using most. I appologize if this has been asked before but i did search and havent found a poll in here on this.
    So here is the question : Which do you own? And if both... Which do you favor?

I have a Type 1
    I have a Type 2
    I have Both but Favor Type 1
    I have Both but Favor Type 2
    I have Type 1
    0%
    I have Type 2
    0%
    I have Both but Favor Type 1
    0%
    I have Both but Favor Type 2
    0%
  • Bravo Vector Tango
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

If you want the truth, neither.

you want a true 6.5 Grendel Chamber, which is the SAAMI approved design.

Type I and Type II are both abominations of the real 6.5 Grendel Chamber.

they are both inferior to the real 6.5 Grendel chamber, and of the two, the Type I is significantly more inferior.

of course, I encourage you to do your own research.

Comment

• jurassic
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I thought type 1 or type 2 referred to the bolt?

Comment

• Digitalfalcon
        Bloodstained
        • May 2016

Originally posted by Bravo Vector Tango View Post
        If you want the truth, neither.

you want a true 6.5 Grendel Chamber, which is the SAAMI approved design.

Type I and Type II are both abominations of the real 6.5 Grendel Chamber.

they are both inferior to the real 6.5 Grendel chamber, and of the two, the Type I is significantly more inferior.

of course, I encourage you to do your own research.
        BVT, ok, now im even more confused. I am a newbie but i thought i had an understanding.
        When shopping for barrels and bolts I always come across two choices Type 1 or Type 2..... .125 or .136..... 7.62x39 or Grendel bolt. Call it what you will but its always one choice or the other. Or so I've thought. Are you saying that there is a third a " true 6.5 Grendel chamber" that is neither .125 or .136 ?

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

I have 6.5 Grendel. The exact one Bill Alexander developed and got approved by saami.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

DF you are shopping in the wrong places, imo

Stick with Alexander Arms or Precision Firearms and you will never be confused

Confusion is exactly what the others wanted to create. That's why I avoid them

Mark Twain

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
              I thought type 1 or type 2 referred to the bolt?
              i typically infers differences in both the bolt and the chamber.

type I's use the .125 bolt face
              type II's use the .136 bolt face

A type one bolt will not chamber a round in a type II chamber, and using a type I bolt with a type II chamber can cause excessive head-space issues, and possible case head separations, etc.

but the reamers for type I and II are different than the actual SAAMI approved reamer, and if i recall correctly, the angle of the shoulder and the length of the throat of the type II chamber are based on the 6.5x47 Lapua. which is significantly different than the actual Grendel throat/shoulder

Easy to see why it's a mess, and best to stick with the SAAMI standardized, straight up "6.5 Grendel" chamber.

I would also like to note that .264LBC is not a bad chambering, but If i wanted that chambering i would get something strictly chambered that ways, and not some mash-up grendel/lbc type I/II amalgamation.

If I have stated anything incorrectly, I am just fine with being corrected!

Comment

• Digitalfalcon
                Bloodstained
                • May 2016

Good Lord, I didnt mean to touch a nerve, I'm just curious and trying to learn. It's my understanding that the saami approved by Bill Alexander 6.5 Grendel has the .136 bolt recess...... which when shopping ...... seems to be reffered to as a type 2. Blame it on BHW not me. But, as I am new to all this I may be speaking at a kindergarten level. So again, I dont mean to touch a nerve I just noticed a plethora of availability in the "type 1" barrels and bolts while shopping for the Real Bill Alexander Saami approved 6.5 Grendel.... and was curios what the members were using more.

Rabiddawg, you say stick with Precision Firearms......
                Here is from there site:
                "Description
                Complete 6.5 Grendel bolt by Precision Firearms made to our specifications. 9310 steel, Shot peened and hardened. Precision Turned to Prefection, just like we ordered. Available in Phalanx (Black Nitride) or Super Match (Nickel Boron).

These are the less Common .125 Bolt face. Will also work with 7.62x39."

But my understanding is the 6.5 Grendel approved by saami and Bill Alexander had a .136 bolt face
                Last edited by Digitalfalcon; 05-16-2016, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Digitalfalcon
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2016

BVT, I understand I need to match Bolt to Chamber, so that im clear when shopping then , i should look ony for the .136 "type 2" set up?

Comment

• Digitalfalcon
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2016

Again, The reason for the poll was more curiosity than anything.

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2016

No hurt feelings here, just trying to convey some information i spent good time researching that isn't exactly everclear on the surface.

I would steer you to purchase a product with a chambering that doesn't reference type I or type II at all, because you never know what you're going to get with those, type I and type II both are not SAAMI approved, and can thus, really be any dimensions the manufacturers desire.

it's just not worth it to cut corners, i shopped around, i even contacted several MFG's about their chambers and reamers, each MFG that used some type of "type I or type II" chamber were not exactly forthcoming with technical specifications about their chambers, or reamers, about all they can say with confidence is weather they used the .125 or .136 bolt face, but there really is more to it than that.

I know, it sucks because there are not alot of true 6.5 Grendel, SAAMI reamed barrel options out there, particularly without getting into the 400-600 dollar price range

If I had to answer "Of type II and Type I, which is a worse Idea?" i'd definitely say type I is a worse idea, as the bolts are prone to breakage.

I hope I have helped you here, again just trying to provide some clarity and information that i spent a fair amount of time understanding myself.
                      Last edited by Bravo Vector Tango; 05-16-2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• IceAxe
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2014

I think it may be better to refer to the bolt only as Type 1 or 2. I have a Grendel (compound) chamber head spaced for the type 1 bolt per my request from PF. Mark did a great job and even etched the barrel for the type 1 head spaced designation.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Digitalfalcon
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by Bravo Vector Tango View Post
                          No hurt feelings here, just trying to convey some information i spent good time researching that isn't exactly everclear on the surface.

I would steer you to purchase a product with a chambering that doesn't reference type I or type II at all, because you never know what you're going to get with those, type I and type II both are not SAAMI approved, and can thus, really be any dimensions the manufacturers desire.

it's just not worth it to cut corners, i shopped around, i even contacted several MFG's about their chambers and reamers, each MFG that used some type of "type I or type II" chamber were not exactly forthcoming with technical specifications about their chambers, or reamers, about all they can say with confidence is weather they used the .125 or .136 bolt face, but there really is more to it than that.

I know, it sucks because there are not alot of true 6.5 Grendel, SAAMI reamed barrel options out there, particularly without getting into the 400-600 dollar price range

If I had to answer "Of type II and Type I, which is a worse Idea?" i'd definitely say type I is a worse idea, as the bolts are prone to breakage.

I hope I have helped you here, again just trying to provide some clarity and information that i spent a fair amount of time understanding myself.
                          BVT, thank you, that post is helpful. It gives me more to look at when im researching / shopping.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2013

I'm sorry if I/we come across as touchy but here is why (at least for me)

This cartridge very quickly became my favorite round to shoot. I have a lot invested in guns and reloading components for it. If factory ammo would stay around 17-18 bucks per box I probably wouldn't reload but I digress.

I want everyone to have as many Grendels as possible. This helps us all.

Back before my time they use to resize x39 brass because Grendel brass and ammo was hard to find. No so anymore.

Because the cases are similar guys started running x39 bolts in Grendel guns, it didn't help that Grendel bolts (.136) were (and can be) hard to get. That is why companies started head spacing barrels to the .125 bolt. They also came up with the bastardized chambers to avoid Bill A's patent. Those guilty of this should have done like les Baer and called it something else but nooooo. Why would black whole want to take responsibility for something that may not work as well as the one that had tons of money, research and development done?

Now imagine you are in a group and the Grendel comes up and some guy says " I would never choose that one because the bolts break or it won't run or it ain't accurate etc. etc. then come to find out he is referring to some thing that is NOT a Grendel after all. And to top it off the company that made the barrel and or bolt said "sorry it must be an ammo problem" or "we didn't actually cut a saami chamber but rather one that (we think) is better", " ship it back to us ( at your expense) and we will "scrape" the throat.

These are just some of the topics that repeatedly come up on this site and around the camp fire and it's just a shame that the bolt and chamber questions have to clarfied.

Good luck with your search
                            Last edited by rabiddawg; 05-16-2016, 06:33 PM.

Mark Twain

Comment

• Bravo Vector Tango
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by IceAxe View Post
                              I think it may be better to refer to the bolt only as Type 1 or 2. I have a Grendel (compound) chamber head spaced for the type 1 bolt per my request from PF. Mark did a great job and even etched the barrel for the type 1 head spaced designation.
                              this is likely true. unfortunately a lot of lesser MFG's still include the type 1/2 moniker when describing the chamber.

Your barrel there is a great example of how with a a master smith involved, things can be made to work and (I'm sure) work well.

May I ask why you opted for the Type I bolt? my interest in piqued.

Comment

Working...
                              X