• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worthen86ford
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Need some direction

I wound up with another AA 16" barrel and i am beginning to think of the rifle i would build with it. There are some things that i have learned or at least heard since my original 6.5 build and i'm hoping someone can set me straight.

Rifle buffer and tube: i am told that these are the smoothest shooting buffer arrangments. Is it worth it given the gas from the 6.5. When my gun was a 5.56 it ran smooth on a carbine buffer. Had to go to H2 buffer to calm it down with 6.5 but it still isnt as smooth as before. I like fixed stocks so this would work for me. Could a suppressor be ran without an adjustable gas block utilizing the heavier buffer weight or would it be too violent?

Ideal iron sights: ideally irons would be fixed with limited mobility such as a fsb, fixed carry handle A2 rear, and free float tube. For my purposes irons would be buis. Currently run ARMS 40L and 40LF so that i can mount my scope during deer season. I prefer to shoot irons just because i get more enjoyment out of it, but i do use a scope for hunting to ensure clean kills. Something my friend noticed on his handguard mounted Buis is the poi shift when he uses the sling as a shooting aid. Obviously the handguard is flexing causing this. We both are using MIdwest industries handguards and now i'm thinking maybe i should go with a railed gas block so my handguard doesn't affect the front sight. Is it worth the trouble to have a barrel mounted front sight or is there enough variability with flip up sights that handguard movement is negligible. Normally only shoot irons out to 200yrds max mainly plinking around.

Adjustable gas: i haven't gotten into suppressors yet but i can see it coming. Right now i like what i see from slr with their detented set screw. Is adjustable gas worth it or necessary with suppressors on the 6.5? What about with just a rifle buffer arrangements? Is it worth it anyways with or without suppressors?

Let me know y'alls thoughts.

Thanks
  • jim_bob
    Warrior
    • Jul 2014

+1 for SLR adjustable gas blocks, I love mine. I like being able to adjust the gas going into the system even without a suppressor.

I run a rifle spring and buffer in my 18" Grendel and it is smooth, it has an adjustable gas block too though. ( stock is an ACE ultralight)

As for the sights, if your sight is attached to your handguard and the handguard flexes you will get POI shifts. Best solution is to get a barrel attached front sight or a stiffer handguard.

Comment

Working...
    X