• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n10sivern
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

ok, sell me on a build

I just joined but I've been lurking and reading. I have too many ar15 receiver sets just sitting there (and AR308 receiver sets for that matter) and I have been contemplating a couple 6.5 Grendel builds. I am a longtime 6.5 lover and my favorite caliber is 6.5x55 and I have multiple rifles I built in the Swede caliber. Unfortunately, I've neglected my 6.5 love with my AR's. I have everything but a bolt and barrel for both AR15 builds. I had thought about building a 24" for long range shooting and a 20" for hunting. I was thinking about the 24" brownells barrel and bolt by satern and maybe a JSE for the cheaper hunting barrel. After reading much here, it seems that there is a lot of heat against any barrels other than the higher end $500 barrels. Is it really that hard to get 0.5 MOA accuracy out of the $200-300 barrels? I'm not planning on competition shooting with the Grendel, but I'd be unhappy if I couldn't get 0.5 MOA. I reload so that isn't an issue. It just makes me wonder why I should build a Grendel when I can build a Creedmoor or 260 and achieve that accuracy without spending $500 on a barrel. My 7mm-08 AR with a BHW barrel consistently shoots sub 0.5MOA at 100, 200, and 300 yards and 0.3MOA on good days. I've built several other AR308's and AR15's capable of similar accuracy. Not to mention, brass is easier to find and cheaper for the other AR308 calibers. I have read multiple, multiple threads talking about chamber issues and inaccuracy from mid grade barrels. I've always been enticed by the Grendel, but I can't see spending $500+ dollars on a barrel for what would basically be a niche caliber for me. So, can y'all either alleviate my concerns or tell me to stay clear?
    Last edited by n10sivern; 02-27-2017, 06:41 AM.
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

people are getting good results with odin works (barrel, bolt, gasblock @ 400)
    pf criterion start @ 325
    look at the faxon group buys

most 6.5 grendel barrels are stainless match grade. and not made in the quantity of other calibers
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• hikfromstik
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

Asking 1/2 moa of a gas gun is a pretty big order. To get that it requires bedding the gas block and receiver to barrel . I've got a Lilja and the tightest group I've attained so far with factory loads is .6" @100yds ( most groups are 3/4-1") . Gas tube alignment is of utmost importance also.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

.5 moa at 300yds is not something the average shooter is capable of.
        guaranteeing that would lead to alot of returns

Comment

• 65Whelen
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

You've been lurking then you must be aware of the 20" group buy here on the forum. That should solve your dilemma. As another lover of 6.5s, I've got a 14.5" Grendel (SHTF/brush gun), waiting patiently for the 20" group barrel buy (#2 Grendel, hunter) and recently added 26" Creedmoor (Savage 12 VLP, bolty) for the really long stuff. None of which cost $500 (barrel wise). Both the 14.5 and Creed shoot sub-moa and fully expect the 20" to do so.

And by the way, welcome to the Horde.
          Last edited by 65Whelen; 02-27-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• n10sivern
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2017

I am aware of the group buy but it looks like it'll take forever to get to the 50 orders. As for accuracy in a gas gun, I think consistent 0.5moa is achievable with a good barrel and a lot of load development to find the right powder and bullets. Saying that, my experience is limited to AR10 platform except for a precision 223 I built. Plus I only run JP triggers as I love the feel of a crisp light single stage. I'm just used to the feel of bolt action triggers. IMHO, I think triggers play a huge role in precision shooting. I don't shoot factory loads in anything so I don't know what's realistic accuracy with factory ammo.

I've wanted a grendel for a long time, but have just kept building other rifles. Now that I'm getting the itch to hunker down and build one, I'm starting to wonder the benefit other than a lighter platform than the AR308. I don't know what role it'll honestly fill for me. I know I'm just over thinking everything and I'll probably still do it anyway. Just talking my thoughts out loud to y'all for some reassurance.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

How many rounds are you referring to when you say 0.5MOA?

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Based on your op I'm going to say you should not build a Grendel.

I came to the grendel looking to fill a need that the other calibers didn't. You on the other hand state that you are very happy with your other cartridges. Based on your first comments, I don't know if the Grendel could ever satisfy you.

Good luck!
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• n10sivern
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                  Based on your op I'm going to say you should not build a Grendel.

I came to the grendel looking to fill a need that the other calibers didn't. You on the other hand state that you are very happy with your other cartridges. Based on your first comments, I don't know if the Grendel could ever satisfy you.

Good luck!
                  I'm starting to agree to an extent. I already have 4-5 AR15 each of 223 and 300AAC and also 243, 7mm-08, and 358 win in larger format AR. Only thing I don't have is a long range (>500 yard) AR15. My 223's are 10.5", 16" x3, and 18"barrels. 223 is just boring to me which is also why I considered a grendel. 6mmAR is interesting me as well

Comment

• Motorhead
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2016

I used the 24 inch satern from brownells and my best 3 round group was .224 inches at 100 yds. I've only put about 50 rounds through the gun though so who knows what will happen. We've had a long cold winter here in the Tetons so I've been itching to shoot it again for a while. I also have yet to put a factory round through it and my worst group was 2.12 inches with a lighter load.

Comment

• mdram
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2016

you could always buy a barrel bolt, convert one of your current ar's

if it doesnt do what you want, sell them.

wouldnt lose too much that way

Comment

• n10sivern
                        Unwashed
                        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Motorhead View Post
                        I used the 24 inch satern from brownells and my best 3 round group was .224 inches at 100 yds. I've only put about 50 rounds through the gun though so who knows what will happen. We've had a long cold winter here in the Tetons so I've been itching to shoot it again for a while. I also have yet to put a factory round through it and my worst group was 2.12 inches with a lighter load.
                        That's good news. If I go grendel I'll probably go this route as it's an ok barrel and comes with the bolt. All I'd need would be mags.

Comment

• Rickc
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by n10sivern View Post
                          I'm starting to agree to an extent. I already have 4-5 AR15 each of 223 and 300AAC and also 243, 7mm-08, and 358 win in larger format AR. Only thing I don't have is a long range (>500 yard) AR15. My 223's are 10.5", 16" x3, and 18"barrels. 223 is just boring to me which is also why I considered a grendel. 6mmAR is interesting me as well
                          Well I purchased a 6mm AR turbo 40 improved upper from Robert Whitley and promptly gave my precision .223 to my brother in law and sold all my other .223 AR's except for my truck gun.

the Grendel and its wildcat cousins are the most you are going to get out of the AR15.

I built a Grendel to feed my addiction to building AR's. Built this one with a JP lightweight barrel for a more practical use. Those hbars are just too heavy for anything but the bench. I have been very happy with my Grendel but then again I didn't build it to be a long range tack driver. I built it mostly for hog hunting.

Comment

• n10sivern
                            Unwashed
                            • Feb 2017

Hehe, I build my 358 Winchester for hog hunting. I have a savage bolt action for shooting subsonic and use my AR for shooting supersonic.

Comment

Working...
                            X