• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JaxsonsOldMan
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2017

Help me decide

So, I'm stuck between a few options. I'm trying to get my Grendel obsession satiated by Mayish (which rules out the group buy option and PF). I'm wanting a 20" barreled upper that would mostly be used for hunting inside of about 300 yds. That said, I would love to be able to occasionally touch steel out to 800ish just to know what it feels like. Budget is important. Would I be able to get what I'm looking for for ~$700ish?

These are the three options I was looking at:

1. Build around an Odin works barrel/BCG/gas block combo - top of my budget

2. Give grendelhunter.com a chance and keep it around $600.

3. Go with the Radical Firearms complete upper - around $600.

Thoughts? I don't think I can wait until my budget expands! I'm going nuts!!! Thanks for any input.
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Why insist on the 20 inch? Depending on your elevation, you can meet the distance requirements with an 18 and possibly 16.... With the 129 ABLR loaded, you will definitely be able to hunt within 300 with as short as a 12 inch.

Comment

• JaxsonsOldMan
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2017

I hunt from blinds that don't require much trekking, so I thought 20" was like a best of both worlds length. I'm definitely new to the cartridge. I suppose I could alter the length requirement if I felt confident I could do what I wanted with a shorter barrel, I'm just not sure why I should go shorter. There doesn't seem to be a huge quantity of readily available 16" barrels is there?

Comment

• jim_bob
        Warrior
        • Jul 2014

Alexander Arms and the Faxon group buy barrels come to mind. I'm sure Precision firearms would make you a mighty fine 16" tube too!

Comment

• JaxsonsOldMan
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2017

But there's no way I get those in the next 6-8 weeks. I have pigs that need to die!

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I'd choose the Odin, Radical Firearms have to many QC issues for me. I'm not a fan of the Grendel II chamber used in the Grendelhunter upper. A Friend has a Grendel II chamber 18" and it has not shown the accuracy of variety of ammo as my three SAMMI chamber 6.5 Grendel's. If your interested in a 20" 6.5 Grendel check out JSE Surplus, they get good reviews and get new inventory frequently.

We have drawn the winner for the Rifle from the fundraiser for our local family that had the fire. The winner is David W. from Louisiana. Thank you all so much for your donations. We appreciate you all very much! JSE
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-01-2017, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• Frank45
              Warrior
              • Mar 2016

I truly appreciate you putting a time frame on your build. I am definitely a instant gratification sort of guy. I will say though that I waited for PF for my build and cannot speak highly enough of their products. I will definitely be a repeat customer. I'll just try to buy ahead of time. That said I have a few Odinworks products and find them to be quality parts. Have you considered AA?

Comment

• brian y
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

I can only talk about Odinworks as that is what I used in my build. So far I am very pleased with the 20" barrel and how accurate it is. That is what I would recommend.
                NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• wraith1516
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

Have 2 BHW tubes 1 a 264 lbc the other a sammi grendel both are about 3/8"at 100 yds but it is my understanding that they are only chambering in the fucked up .125" bolt now to bad cross them off the listbut you could call and see if they still have any .136" ones left over

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Cross Radical off the list.

AA has complete uppers for $698 20" Entry. That's everything, ready to drop on your lower. http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Upp..._Receiver.html
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X