• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trumpet
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

Vise blocks, reaction rod, or BEV?

So, I thought I should give assembling my own uppers a go. I don't have any of the tools, I'm not a high volume builder either. So, am I doing myself a disservice by going with the clamshell upper block setup over the newer (hotter) reaction rod type? I figure I can get a set of vise blocks and an armorer's wrench for $30-ish. A BEV runs $40-ish. Are the rod types that much better?

Also recommendations for a affordable (ie...cheap) torque wrench?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

I had the clam didn't care for it at all, I use the bev block now and it holds the upper and barrel extension very well.

As far as the torque wrench I got mine through harber freight can't remember the brand right off hand but it has work great for me.

Comment

• Trumpet
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2016

1/2" torque wrench, right?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Let me go check what size it is real quick like lol.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Yep 1/2 is the size mine is and it's in foot pounds not inch pounds, it's made by tekton.

Comment

• jim_bob
            Warrior
            • Jul 2014

Reaction Rod FTW!

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

For a one-off build you might not need an armourers wrench, depending on the barrel nut/handguard you want to use. You will need a torque rod however and this is my preferred method of doing up barrel nuts. The Geissele Reaction Rod is expensive ($100) compared to the Brownells Barrel Extension Torque Tool ($50) which does exactly the same thing. Some barrel/nuts/handguards require a torque rod and an armourers wrench.

I don't use those receiver clamshells anymore They are 'old-school' and put a lot of stress on the receiver as you torque things up. I do have a barrel vise however which clamps onto the barrel for doing up things like muzzle devices. You can buy cheap clamping jaws from Brownells for $39 that fir into your vise at home, or make your own jaws for a one-off job out of wood.

Do you know what handguard and buffer tube you are going to use? The buffer tube will need some sort of tool to do up nice and tight.

Comment

Working...
              X