• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waccamawscout
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2016

muzzle device or not and is longer barrel really better

I am building another grendel and this is for shooting targets and learning to stretch it out up to a 1000 yds at times. My first question is about muzzle device or target crown. Is a muzzle device really have any benefit for a target gun. I am ordering an x caliber barrel and they suggest a heavy barrel between 20 and 24". What do you guys think
  • dreadpirate
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

20" barrel. Not sure how much more you get with 24 versus how unwieldy the rifle becomes.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Not really. Bench Rest shooters, Target Rifle and F Class shooters rarely use them. In an AR however the thread on the end almost begs for something on it.

There are four types of muzzle device;
      1. Suppressor.
      2. Muzzle brake.
      3. Flash hider.
      4. Barrel tuner.

Suppressors might make it a little more enjoyable, certainly in a bolt gun. Suppressors lessen the sound at the muzzle but also act as a muzzle brake. The added weight on the end of the barrel might also help steady the gun. They change a lot about the gun and also cost a lot. Not really needed for long range, daylight shooting at steel however.

Muzzle brakes are good for quick follow-up shots or if you want more chance at seeing the splash on your target. In this light calibre they are more a want than absolutely necessary.

A flash hider is a combat device so, depends if you are training for conflict. It can also help with dusk/night-time shooting, especially with NVD's or thermal but that's pretty niche.

Barrel tuners are rare as hens teeth. Probably testimony as to how few people think they actually do something measurable. I've only ever seen one in action on a bolt gun and over the course of a few months we came to the conclusion it was as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.

Comment

• waccamawscout
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2016

I would only use a break. I wander if it would be worth it on the already manageable recoil of the grendel

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          I've only ever seen one in action on a bolt gun and over the course of a few months we came to the conclusion it was as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.
          This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while. Thanks for the good ol' belly laugh sir!
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• waccamawscout
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2016

My thing is if the gain in fps worth the extra barrel length over 20"

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

With the intended use of the gun, the extra length can't hurt. You're looking at 60-100 fps increase. If it's .900" barrel it should be stiff enough. I don't personally like long, whippy barrels, they seem harder to tune. Just finished a 28 nosler with 28.5" pipe in 3b contour and it took some work finding the load it liked. Just my $.02

Richard
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• js8588
                Warrior
                • Jul 2017

I bought this barrel for $260 shipped. Still have a few parts to put together for the build but at $170 I'm not sure you can beat the price. The finish on mine is top notch https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProdu...l%20QPQ-Barrel

Comment

Working...
                X