• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BFD
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

Bear Creek Arsenal (BCA) Upper Assembly Detailed Review

This post will cover cost, features, first impressions, and any out-of-the-box issues.

For the record, I am not affiliated with BCA in any way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I built my last Grendel upper with an 18" Satern barrel, and it went well; it's a 1 MOA gun with factory ammo and handloads, and I used it to take multiple deer last fall.

I decided to build a 20" hunting upper this year, and then I saw this:

Since they offer a substantial mil discount, I ordered one with the 15" MLOK forend. It was only $319 delivered to my door.

From stem to stern -

1. Flash hider and threads: Standard A2 and crush washer, 5/8x24. When I unboxed it, the flash hider was 90 degrees off. I thought it had been incorrectly timed, but when I grabbed it I was able to spin it with two fingers. I was planning to change muzzle devices anyway, so it didn't matter much to me. While it wasn't a good sign out of the gate, things got better and stayed that way.

2. Crown: Clean. Checked under magnification. No issues noted.

3. Rail/barrel nut: BCA aluminum, 15" MLOK. No obvious issues noted. I installed a Magpul bipod mount up front, and it fit perfectly.

4. Gas block and tube: BCA low profile block, 0.750". Rifle length system properly installed. No issues noted.

5. Barrel, extension, and chamber: I was, and still am, impressed by the barrel fluting and the finish; this thing lacks nothing in the external appearance department. The bore and rifling appear GTG in all respects. The extension and the upper receiver mate well, form the standard M4 feed ramp configuration, and the ramps and lugs are clean and smooth. The chamber is 6.5G II (parallel throat) according to BCA. I checked the headspace with PTG gauges, and it was correct.

6. Upper receiver: Standard flattop. The BCA logo at the left rear is well done. No issues noted.

7. Charging handle: Standard and unremarkable in all respects.

8. BCG: They say it is all made in house. From a machining standpoint, the carrier appears to be well done overall. It is in the M16 configuration, and it is nitrided. While the staking was a little light, it was probably serviceable; I touched it up with a Brownell's tool just to make me feel better. The bolt is marked "6.5 Grendel" and "MPI", and it has what appears to be a phosphate finish. Bolt face depth is uniform, and I checked it in three locations; all three readings were 0.136". The extractor is installed with an o-ring in place, and the ejector functions properly. The cam pin, firing pin, and firing pin retaining pin are standard in appearance. Firing pin function and protrusion are good to go.

9. Fit: This upper installed properly on two different lowers.

I'll take it to the range in a couple of weeks and add an additional post that will discuss reliability, accuracy with factory ammo (most likely Hornady 123gr SST), and anything else that might come up.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Sounds good! Keep us posted.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• js8588
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

Nice. BCA is definitely putting out some excellent value these days.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Keep us posted with how well is does as your round count stacks up.. hell of a value.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

You'll get it to the range in a couple of WEEKS? You are a man of serious patience!
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I was advised by BCA they are using SAAMI compound throat in their 6.5 Grendel. A member on AR15.com cast a couple chambers on 6.5 Grendel barrels from BCA and they appeared to have the compound throat. Not that this makes a huge difference as long as the barrel is accurate and reliable.

BCA states their 6.5 Grendel barrel is Type II meaning it takes a .136 6.5 Grendel bolt (aka .136 bolt coined Type II by BHW .125 is Type I), not referring to Grendel II chamber.
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X