Thanks
    Derek
    Alexander Arms
    0%
    ODIN
    0%
    NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I have experience with both barrels, and both will more than likely be shooters. But before I vote, I have to ask what you are doing with the rifle?

The Odin 18" is a DMR profile, and is quite heavy. Great for accuracy and shooting off a bench. The AA is a lightweight fluted barrel, more suited to carrying or hunting..

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Also depending on what your doing the 16"aa is what I have and love it

Comment

• derek45
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
        I have experience with both barrels, and both will more than likely be shooters. But before I vote, I have to ask what you are doing with the rifle?

The Odin 18" is a DMR profile, and is quite heavy. Great for accuracy and shooting off a bench. The AA is a lightweight fluted barrel, more suited to carrying or hunting..
        carrying and hunting
        NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

The AA 18" MLGS fluted is 1lb 13oz.

It has 8 flutes behind the gas block journal, and 6 in front of it.

Makes a great dual-purpose hunter/TGT AR15 barrel.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• derek45
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

This is the one I ordered.

SKU: B-65-18L-B

I considered the 16" also

probably gonna order a JP bolt from brownells when AA notifies me of shipping.

John Paul makes great stuff.

I'm like a child waiting for Santa Claus, I hate waiting on back-orders.
            NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Carrying and hunting? AA for sure.

I'm an Odin Works fanboy, but no way am I carrying that DMR barrel around the woods and over fields.

My father recently picked up the AA 18" upper using the same barrel you ordered and it shoots everything very well.

Comment

• derek45
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2017

C........

My father recently picked up the AA 18" upper using the same barrel you ordered and it shoots everything very well.
                Cool

How long did it take him to get it ?
                NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

We are a retailer for Zanders Sporting goods, and they now carry AA items in stock.. I believe we had the upper in 4 days?

Comment

• derek45
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2017

Seeing uppers, and complete Alexander rifles at Zanders . . . no barrels

Looks like they carry ODIN also.

NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

No not just barrels yet. He purchased the complete upper that has the lightweight 18" barrel.

Yes they sell Odin Works as well.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2013

If I'm hunting with it AA all the way. Love mine
                        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• derek45
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2017

how would you compare the overall quality of the two ?

crown, machining quality etc.?

I'm looking more at the Odin LW 16" posted above

Leaning more towards 16"

Deer season is approaching, and I'd like to try 6.5 this year, and want to have some handloads worked up
                          NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• Kilco
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2016

Very proud of this build. Everything went togather slick, and is functioning perfectly thus far. Surpassed my expectations. Ruger AR556 lower BCM upper Odin Works 16" barrel, BCG, tunable gas block Geissele SSA-E DPMS miculek comp Midwest industries gen 2 ss 15" Pepr mount and Redfield Revolution TAC 3-9

This is a link to my personal build with the 16" Odin Works kit. I have nothing but good things to say about it. My father has the 18" upper from AA that uses the same barrel as they sell individually. Pretty sure I did a thread on it but I'll look.

As far as quality goes, they are neck and neck. Don't have any gripes. I like the ILGS on the Odin better than the MLGS on the 18" AA, but my father's runs silky smooth and has nice 4 o'clock ejection with a non-adjustable gas block.

I prefer the standard threading on the Odin Barrels as well.

I like the 1:7.5 twist on the AA barrels a little more. Not so much for stabilization, but that terminal "Auger" effect.

So my old man has a 20.5" Vepr in Grendel, his "Kawasaki" Howa mini in Grendel, and recently got in his 18" AA complete upper. Watched as he broke it in today. It shot a easy half MOA group with Accurate 2520 under the 123 SMK. Even with the mid length gas and a hydraulic buffer, no adjustable has block it

Link to my little report on his AA 18" kit.
                            Last edited by Kilco; 09-10-2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• derek45
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2017

....As far as quality goes, they are neck and neck....
                              .....I prefer the standard threading on the Odin Barrels as well. .......
                              Called Alexander and canceled my barrel order.

Companies like Dillon have spoiled me on what I expect in customer service.

before I order the ODIN, are there any others I should consider ?

Something IN STOCK, and between $200 - $330 ?

I also prefer the 5/8 - 24 threads, same as my AR10 and 6.8 barrels.

otherwise, I will probably get the 16" ODIN.

Thanks
                              Last edited by derek45; 09-11-2017, 05:07 PM.
                              NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

Working...
                              X