• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

New pistol project brainstorm thread

So, after the decision to Pistol whip my SBR to the curb, and while I wait for approvals, I am trying to decide how to go about building my new 12" group buy barrel into the perfect suppressible "truck gun".
    Think ugly; Looks "well loved" and over used. The goal here is to pack her into a backpack or other traveling bag, or toss in the behind the seat din, and... well all lawful purposes. Deer, 'yotes, bad guys...

I am going to build on my extra stripped CMT lower sitting in the corner patiently waiting it's turn, and a just acquired Tranquillo 260 brake to put the suppressor on.

I have a list so far of must (maybe) haves:

Folder for length reduction while stowed (maybe)
    Low magnification optic (Probably a MK AR Leupold 1-4) (Maybe, but the Grendel is easily capable of 300 yds in a 12")
    MBT trigger
    BCM Mod4
    Piston kit - the more adjustability in the GB the better, probably Superlative... (big maybe)
    A good sling - single point, TBD
    SB Tactical PDW pistol brace (maybe, the SBM4 is also good)

2-25 rd mags

And for the rest:
    Cheap (as in used name brand - EE is my friend) parts to complete the build - upper, 10-10.5 hand-guard, LPK, tube, etc. SO -

OK here's the dilemma - looka here:

f317f207-3f61-4994-ba4e-2ff04746608a (Custom).jpg

Buy this, or one similar for around 200 bucks, swap in my 12" and bolt, and BAM upper is done, and is basically true to purpose. Except for the friggin optic...

I can't help but think that'd make a damn sexy 12" pistol grunge-gun. Forget the optic, piston, and the other ancillary build candy.

Man, this one's gonna get me making lists for sure... Plus, I've always loved the classic look of a FSB on an SBR/pistol. Perhaps I'm funny...

Chime in! Two cents, two quarters, two bills... whatever. Live vicariously in it. In the end, it's gonna be just a brainstorm, so help me come up with good ideas to make good use of my 12" pistol barrel.

(what I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna do is go embarrass some dude with a 308 carbine at 300 yards... and no, my FIL doesn't count. You never saw this...)
    Last edited by Kswhitetails; 09-28-2017, 08:29 PM.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

My Department had some 10.5” colt 9MM SMG’s and they really handled good. A 12” 6.5 Grendel in that configuration would not bother me in the least but I’m old school. My first 16” 6:5 Grendel I setup just like my duty 5:56/223 AR-15 with 16” barrel and carbine gas system and fixed front sight post.

I’ve used a Strike Eagle with an upper with fixed front sight and the front sight never bothered me regardless whether a red dot sight or LPV scope.

Comment

• Troutguide
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Three thoughts first it would look damn cool second it looks heavy third will it affect accuracy.

And I too hope to show some friends up with my little 12" pistol.
      Last edited by Troutguide; 09-28-2017, 11:57 PM.
      "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• explorecaves
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

For a true truck gun especially with a piston system, perhaps look into the Dolos system.... combined with a folder and pistol brace for storage of the barrel assembly and you have a very compact package.

Discreet carry solutions for AR15 rifles and pistols. Configure your existing firearm to fit in a backpack, satchel, messenger bag, or even an ammo can, with Pantheon Arms.

Comment

• explorecaves
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

I've been considering something similar, going to be following this thread and looking foward to your build.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

This forum is an incrediable wealth of knowledge. I hadn’t seen this brand of quick disconnect barrel system before. The technology/ingenuity used to develope accessories for the AR-15 is almost overwhelming. Thanks for posting!

Comment

• explorecaves
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Only problem I see with the Dolos system is the possibility of bending your gas tube. That is why I suggested the use of a piston system as that is less likely to be bent as easily....

It is absolutely a perfect system for a pistol caliber blow back build

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                  Only problem I see with the Dolos system is the possibility of bending your gas tube. That is why I suggested the use of a piston system as that is less likely to be bent as easily....

It is absolutely a perfect system for a pistol caliber blow back build
                  That would be able to everything a Sub2k can do with one added benefit - it'll shoot straight! (Not that I'd ever dream of keeping an FDE one in 40 in a laptop bag along with 8 loaded mags very close to the front door)
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• worthen86ford
                    Warrior
                    • May 2016

I did something similar but with a 10.5" anderson barrel i had chopped from 16". I took the old fsb and tapped it in 5 places with set screws to hold it in place instead of taper pins. It was ok and met the lightweight beater grendel i was going for, but a few sales on primary arms and midwest industries later it is free floated with a pig and fixed irons.

If it were me i would skip the FSB and go straight to a FF handguard. I love the look of FSBs too but I can't leave well enough alone.

Comment

Working...
                    X