• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howl
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Quiet closing

This monster bolt/faxon is especially difficult to close quietly. I'm thinking break in would do most of it, but this rig won't see high round count. (She doesn't shoot much.) This got me thinking that maybe removing the extractor o-ring or some other tweak might make getting the bolt home easier to manage, and thus easier to keep quiet.

There is no real difficulty operating the action. It's just more than usually tricky to ease the bolt home and get it fully seated. Using the bolt release or just slinging it home work like normal.

Any and all ideas, please.
  • Six5x39
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

hopefully it's not bolt or chamber issue and will loosen up . I noticed my grendel is somewhat loose side compare to other caliber like 223,300blk . but no issues cycling

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Remove the extractor o-ring. I did on one of my bolts to test and it operates just fine.
      The pin holding the extractor could be pushed out easily.

Comment

• PVBoom
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        Remove the extractor o-ring. I did on one of my bolts to test and it operates just fine.
        The pin holding the extractor could be pushed out easily.
        That won't cause function issues?

Comment

• howl
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Teh interweb also suggests clipping a couple coils off the ejector spring. These are low cost techniques, so I think I might try them. I might also grab her gun when she's not looking and run a hundred rounds of steel case through it to maybe smooth something up.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
            That won't cause function issues?
            I haven't had any extractor issues such as failure to eject.

I don't remember which bolt I removed the ring from but it was scoring brass pretty severely.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I don't use O-rings around my extractor springs.

As long as the cyclic rate is tame, there is no need for it.

It's a band-aid for the highly over-gassed/suppressed 10.3" carbines SOCOM was having issues with.

A heavier buffer and correct gas port dims helped with that more.

You can also polish your extractor face, the angled part that slides over the case rim before snapping over the rim.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

i removed the oring from my bolt as the extractor was extra firm and have not had any issues with an ar15 if you are wanting quiet bolt closing your best bet is probably a side charger the bear creek side charger is pretty cheap 140 with bcg and looks to be a clone of the lar side charger which i have one of i like it because it deletes the rear charging handle which is superfluous on a side charger
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                  i removed the oring from my bolt as the extractor was extra firm and have not had any issues with an ar15 if you are wanting quiet bolt closing your best bet is probably a side charger the bear creek side charger is pretty cheap 140 with bcg and looks to be a clone of the lar side charger which i have one of i like it because it deletes the rear charging handle which is superfluous on a side charger
                  I was playing with my BCA side charger with a fired case and had trouble getting it to snap over the case rim without pounding the charging handle.
                  I could pull the extractor open with my finger so I think it is the bolt where I removed the 0-ring.
                  I seem to remember using the forward assist on another receiver to close the bolt on a case and not having any problem.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

i was mostly talkng about holding the bolt handle to ride the bolt home if you are worried about bolt closing noise
                    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                      i was mostly talkng about holding the bolt handle to ride the bolt home if you are worried about bolt closing noise
                      On a standard AR, you could just pull the charging handle back a little and then slowly let the bolt go forward. When it stops, press the forward assist a few times to seat the round.

Comment

Working...
                      X