• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turnerco
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Rattle can camo

I have never minded my black rifle, but have been contemplating going the camo route lately. I am kicking around going the cheap route and doing a custom rattle can camo set up so that I can have complete control over the pattern and colors that I could go with, but have not completely convinced myself that this would be the best way to go. I have seen the aerosol cerakote products, but having no personal experience with them, I am nervous about the outcome.

Looking for any advice on if the aerosol route is a terrible idea, or if this would be a decent option for affordable custom camo. Also if anyone has pictures of anything they have done, I would definitely be open to some inspiration.
  • howl
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Krylon is fairly durable.

Comment

• Six5x39
      Warrior
      • Sep 2017

It is pretty easy to do . only part that that takes much time is to prep around scope turret caps and anywhere that it needs to be block off . there are lots of vids on youtube showing step by step . here's my can job . just got done with my grendel ( drying ) soon be be added to the family

Comment

• Turnerco
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
        It is pretty easy to do . only part that that takes much time is to prep around scope turret caps and anywhere that it needs to be block off . there are lots of vids on youtube showing step by step . here's my can job . just got done with my grendel ( drying ) soon be be added to the family

What did you use for stencils?

Comment

• Six5x39
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

im sure everyone does it lil differently . first I do is base coat . I did FDE

I put all kinds of stuff I can put over lol

3rd . I use FDE over again using stencils ( here are few I printed out from google image and trace to cut

Comment

• Turnerco
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2017

Have you had to go back and touch things up from time to time as far as scratches and the like goes? Mine will spend some time at the range, but mostly carried on day hike type trips in the woods and won't be babied much. Did you use just generic spray paint in the desired colors, or something like a cerakote product?

Comment

• Six5x39
              Warrior
              • Sep 2017

mines get banged up in hike . paint gets chipped . I don't paint over , unless Im doing the rifle again for another designed . I think it gives lil character banged up . I used 3 camp paints from local auto store . they were flat type

Comment

• PVBoom
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Wow, thanks for the step by step.

What do you mean by "camp paint". So I guess it's autopart store krylon instead of Home Depot rustoleum?

I have also been contemplating this, in arid flecktarn.
                Last edited by PVBoom; 10-24-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• explorecaves
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

assuming it is auto correct.... probably meant camo paint

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
                    mines get banged up in hike . paint gets chipped . I don't paint over , unless Im doing the rifle again for another designed . I think it gives lil character banged up ....
                    +1
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bakabone25
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

I did a krylon camo on my 556 ar over 3 years ago. I topped it all off with krylon flat clear coat. Ive had no scratches or any chip problems yet. Very durable. and i do not pamper this gun. Just my input, its worth a try for you.

Comment

• Turnerco
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2017

I may do a trial run on a stamped ak I have before I take the plunge on my ar. from what I am gathering here, I shouldn't feel to bad about taking a can of krylon to it rather than having it dipped or something similar.

Comment

• Troutguide
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

"Rattle Can" comes off with enough paint thinner and elbow grease if you screw it up or change your mind. Just watch your scope.
                          "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• PVBoom
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2017

Well, I'll have enough balls to do this sometime, but probably not immediately after I assemble this 1500 dollar (or whatever) grendel with its nice scope. The thought of spraying the scope seems the hardest. but yeah, sometime ...

Comment

• Turnerco
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by PVBoom View Post
                              Well, I'll have enough balls to do this sometime, but probably not immediately after I assemble this 1500 dollar (or whatever) grendel with its nice scope. The thought of spraying the scope seems the hardest. but yeah, sometime ...
                              My thought exactly. I don't really feel warm and fuzzy about spray painting a mortgage payment. I will try and do a trial run on the taliban style ak this weekend and get some pictures up.

If anyone has any personal camo in a can trophies they are proud of, I would love to see them.

Comment

Working...
                              X