• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warp9764
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

Need help choosing the best NiB BCG

I already have the group buy Grendel bolt, but I need to choose my BCG. I really want a NiB treated BCG and I'm currently trying to choose between the Spike's Tactical and the Precision Firearms BCGs. Has anyone used either?

Complete, 5.56 AR-15 bolt and carrier assembly coated in Nickel Boron. These are fully assembled and ready to go. Drop it in your Milspec AR and you’re ready to shoot. Precision-machined carrier and bolt manufactured for us to our specifications with our drawing with tolerances allowed for Nickel Boron Coating. All metals, Hardness, and Coating meet or exceed Mil-spec. Carrier are faceted to give that extra custom look to the rifle. No sharp edges to aid in smoothness and reliablity. Slight carbon and brass fouling may be present from test firing to insure you will not have problems. Lifetime Guarantee with Receipt.

One of my concerns with the PF bolts is that the FW assist serrations don't carry as far forward as a standard BCG (probably not a big issue - I've never needed FW assist), but more importantly the bolt end of the BCG is faceted (rather than fully round) so I'm a little concerned about wear on the facet edges and how smoothly the BCG will ride. Any thoughts on this? Experience?

And of course, if you have alternate recommendations I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!
    Last edited by warp9764; 10-31-2017, 10:04 PM.
  • AZHTfreak
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Why NiB? It's a coating. Go nitride, will not wear, flake or peel... Genuine Toolcraft here:

Else if you want something pricier, these guys use Toolcraft BCGs and have an excellent coating process:

BC contacts the receiver on its 4 bearing surfaces, the facets do not.
    Last edited by AZHTfreak; 11-01-2017, 03:02 AM.
    DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

I bought this recently.

It's shiny and smooth and slides in the receiver smoother than my other BCGs. I shot it a few times in a 223.

I would buy it again.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        I bought this recently.

It's shiny and smooth and slides in the receiver smoother than my other BCGs. I shot it a few times in a 223.

I would buy it again.
        Wow, that's a great price for the pair!
        DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I was reading another thread on this forum and someone mentioned they had headspacing problems that may be related to the additional thickness of the NiB boltface.
          I didn't check the headspace with gauges but I had no trouble shooting it.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

For that kind of coin I would take a hard look at JP carriers. Not NiB, but the 2 QPQ finished carriers I have clean up better than any NiB component I have (including 2 NiB carriers). If your going for the look, they do make stainless carriers
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• warp9764
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2017

Yes, the look is a big part of it, I admit, so I really want a silver finish BCG. I already have the Millennium bolt from the group buy (nitride). I'll go take a look at JP, thanks. Any thoughts on how well the SS cleans up vs NiB? That was the other part I liked - the low friction and easy clean-up (in addition to the look).

Interesting - I see the JP also has less FW assist serrations and also has a faceted front-end. Hmmm, that at least gives me more confidence with the PA BCG. Still looking...
              Last edited by warp9764; 11-01-2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I needed another BCG and a charging handle so I bought this for a 223.

The bolt and carrier are both NiB so they match. I don't have a Grendel NiB bolt so they won't match if used in a Grendel.

Comment

• mdram
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2016

am an ar newb, but it seems to be NiB is a solution looking for a problem to fix

is there really anything wrong with qpq?
                  just some targets for printing
                  https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• js8588
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2017

Gonna leave this here http://www.crypticcoatings.com

Comment

• Lastrites
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2017

The only thing I've wondered about concerning QPQ/Nitride/Melonite is whether or not the process effects the heat treatment on a bolt or extractor as the process gets towards or exceeds the 1000 degree mark. They sure are slick and clean up easy enough that is for sure.

On the other hand, seems to be enough threads concerning Nib issues that I never wanted to bother with that coating. Flaking, peeling, staining, dimension issues due to plating are just a few of the reoccurring threads.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                        am an ar newb, but it seems to be NiB is a solution looking for a problem to fix

No. Just about as slick as NiB, cleans up as easy as NiB and will never have potential issues like a coating.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by mdram View Post

I've never had a problem with a qpq carrier. The same can't be said about both Nib carriers I bought. The PSA stained from the first trip to range. I thought that was maybe due to its price point. Then the Fail Zero was a 100% failure. From now on its either JP for high end or Toolcraft for me (okay, I might splurge on on a 2A Titanium Regulated BC if I'm up to something special. That has "Ion Black" coating". I guess the Ti needs ions)
                          Last edited by StoneHendge; 11-01-2017, 07:40 PM.
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                            The only thing I've wondered about concerning QPQ/Nitride/Melonite is whether or not the process effects the heat treatment on a bolt or extractor as the process gets towards or exceeds the 1000 degree mark. They sure are slick and clean up easy enough that is for sure.

On the other hand, seems to be enough threads concerning Nib issues that I never wanted to bother with that coating. Flaking, peeling, staining, dimension issues due to plating are just a few of the reoccurring threads.
                            As long as whichever vendor the bolt mfg uses for the nitride process does it correctly, there will be no issue impacting the heat treatment of either C-158 or 9310 bolts. And yes, nitriding avoids all the issues of a coating.
                            Last edited by AZHTfreak; 11-01-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• keystone183
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2013

If i were going to buy a NiB bcg, this is the one i would probably get. They are toolcraft. They are of flawless quality. But spendy.

If i had a good chunk of change burning a hole in my pocket.........i would get THIS ONE....

http://www.crypticcoatings.com/coated-titanium-bolt-carrier-group/

Comment

Working...
                              X