• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tracker12
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

GB Roll pin problems

Tried to install the gas block on my barrel and had a heck of a time getting the roll pin in. Ended up boggering it up. It is in for now but is going to need to be removed and a new one put in. Any tips for me when the new one comes in.
    AR's make shooting fun again!
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I am not the expert armorer but the last couple of roll pins have gone lots easier than the first...
    I'm assuming you mean the roll pin for the gas tube and not pinning the GB to the barrel(!) btw.
    (I do the GB pin and gas tube before putting it on the barrel). Of course you want to make sure the gas tube and GB holes are all lined up.
    first of all I measure both end diameters of the pin with a caliper, sometimes (and true this last one) one end is a tweak smaller so I lead with that end.
    Second I use a hemostat to hold it -- b/c the buggers like to jump off the GB and sproing across the room.
    I also have a small bench vise, an adjustable one like [SE 8436MVC 3" Universal Table Vise] on Amazon and hold the GB horizontally in the jaws, roll pin hole going top to bottom and gas tube sticking out sideways. I insert from the left side to right on the GB, read this somewhere on the interweb.
    And a roll pin punch (the type with the dinky ball on the tip, not just flat metal) and small tap-hammer to tap on it.
    Once it's started and firmly in the hole you can carefully take the hemostat off and continue with roll pin punch and hammer.

Anyway maybe some folks with more experience might chime in, I hope this helps you out.

ps, If you remove go from right side to left in tapping it out, plus I recommend taking it completely off the barrel first, then working on the pin.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

I have had success using a large vise grip pliers with tape on the jaws to push the pin in.
      I start the pin by holding it in a needle nose vise grip and pressing it in. Once it is in the hole a bit, use the large vise grip.
      First, adjust the large vise grip to a jaw extension where the last handle closing motion pushes the pin in a little bit.
      Then, open the vise grip and turn the adjustment screw in one quarter turn and close the vise grip to push the pin in a bit more.
      Repeat until the pin is seated.

I found that hammering on the pin would mushroom the end making it difficult to seat completely.
      Pressing the pin in does not do this.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I use Security Torx drivers as a roll-pin starters. They are Torx heads with a shallow hole drilled into them. Get a cheap set and pick the one that closest fits your roll pin. Then use a few taps of the hammer to start the pin and take the driver away to finish with the hammer.

The are only a few dollars on Fleabay and you can use them on normal Torx screws.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
          I use Security Torx drivers as a roll-pin starters. They are Torx heads with a shallow hole drilled into them. Get a cheap set and pick the one that closest fits your roll pin. Then use a few taps of the hammer to start the pin and take the driver away to finish with the hammer.

The are only a few dollars on Fleabay and you can use them on normal Torx screws.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10651[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]10652[/ATTACH]
          That was a simple but great method for starting the gas tube roll pin, thank's for sharing.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I bought a set of the Torx security bits at Lowes, where I work, on Klem's previous recommendation.
            I haven't had a chance to use them on a roll pin yet.

Edit: They are $4.98 at Lowes.
            Last edited by bj139; 01-01-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Or you can get a roll pin starter punch set for $7-9 on FleaBay or amazon...
              DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Bear in mind you can also use your security Torx set for 'Torx'ing', but a roll-pin starter punch set can only be used for roll pins...

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

Lightly taper the leading edge of the roll pin with a file or sandpaper.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• tracker12
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

I actually did taper the roll pin in the end but b that time it had already started bending. Going to call geisselle tomorrow and have them send me a couple replacement pins and will probably purchase there starter. For $10.00 and free shipping probable a no brainier.

Comment

• paulw
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2017

The Geisselle gas block pin started works great....its pointier than a typical roll pin starter punch - harder to scratch your gas block.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by tracker12 View Post
                        I actually did taper the roll pin in the end but b that time it had already started bending. Going to call geisselle tomorrow and have them send me a couple replacement pins and will probably purchase there starter. For $10.00 and free shipping probable a no brainier.
                        Ah, the dilemma of asking social media for advice but then deciding a well-known brand is more trustworthy. The power of marketing.

Hey, I'm sure it will work. Just call out loud, "One Dollar!" every time your hammer hits that punch, because that's how much that one-off tool is going to cost.

Comment

• tracker12
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

Well I need extra roll pins anyway so figured for the free shipping and a 3 extra pins geissele included I was about even. Plus the only place near me that had a roll pin wanted $2.00 for a roll pin and the place is 28 miles way.
                          Last edited by tracker12; 01-02-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Here is what I use. The needle nose ones work great to start the pin
                            The large ones with duct tape on the jaws press the pin in easily.
                            The set goes on sale a few times a year for $10.

Shop Kobalt 3-Pack Locking Plier Set at Lowe's.com. This set includes three of the most essential pliers: 6.5in locking long nose pliers,7in curved jaw locking pliers,10in curved-jaw locking pliers.use These

And the torx security bit set.

Last edited by bj139; 01-02-2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X