Ironic.. coldest winter in Maine in my lifetime, and this happens..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Ironic.. coldest winter in Maine in my lifetime, and this happens..

Mods, feel free to delete or move this post, as it's completely irrelevant to the Grendel specifically... just looking for potential relevance from other members personal experiences.

My father has owned an auto shop/ gun shop my entire life. He started from nothing shortly after I was born, and established one of the most respected shops in Northern Aroostook county, ME. After college, I started my own section of the shop, performing gunsmithing services and some work on mod snowmobiles.

On new years eve at around 3:30, our waste oil furnace emitted a "cough", and the whole building took off like a match.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Complete and total loss. For my father, brother and I this was completely devastating, since this is all we have done our entire life.

I've been completely blown away by the support from our community. My sister started a "go-fund me" (embarrassing for us to admit) and the help has been overwhelming!!

Lost 2 Grendel builds in the works for customers using Odin Works items. Our customer rep from both Odin Works and Aero Precision who I speak with on a weekly basis completely warrantied the items free of charge. I would like you gents to consider than when purchasing items from either said company.

We have insurance for a reason, and it looks like construction of a new shop will start in two weeks, with completion being in 2 months. Lost my lathe, and all my building tools, so my current personal build is on hold.

Even in -20 weather, be mindful of fires folks!! Never thought it would happen to us, but hey, Murphy is a bitch!
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Damn Kilco, that's terrible. I worry a little bit every time I light a fireplace or heater. Guess I'll keep worrying and not get used to it.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Sorry for your loss, I can only imagine the equipment , tools and things accumulated through the years that were lost, not to mention the family history. In 2008 we came home from a job in Idaho and saw a huge plume of smoke coming from our neighborhood area. When we got close enough we could tell it was near our shop and equipment. Trees had rubbed on some power lines and caught our barn and field on fire. We had 18000 gallons of gas and diesel tanks right next to the fire. We were fortunate to have water tenders ready to go. With the help of the local fire department we only lost two work pickups and some minor damage to our barn. We had many friends and neighbors help put the fire out. Be glad no one was hurt, but that is one a hell of a way to start a new year.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
        Sorry for your loss, I can only imagine the equipment , tools and things accumulated through the years that were lost, not to mention the family history.
        It really is hard to imagine the impact. However, I'm not surprised to hear about the support from a community with whom you've spent your entire life. Best of luck to you and your family.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• kcb38
          Warrior
          • Jun 2017

At least the place was insured. Hopefully the insurance company is as easy to deal with as Aero and Odin. I've used a number of their parts in my current build and I'm sure they'll be going into my next one as well. Sorry for the loss, Kilco
          - Kirk -

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Kilco - There has never been a good time for a family business or home to be destroyed. It is truly sad some of your family's heritage was lost in that blaze, along with who knows how much in material damage. But consider this - there is the fact that nobody was injured or lost their lives in the conflagration that was once your family business, for which we can all be grateful.

My household is now praying for yours.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Last edited by Kswhitetails; 01-04-2018, 01:53 AM.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Absolutely correct Nuggin, biggest thing was nobody was hurt. My brother and I were at the shop 5 hours earlier making sure the furnace was working in the extreme cold. Our auto parts store is on one side, and a large apartment building on the other, so huge thanks went to our small local FD for containing the blaze. Thier was over 10,000 gallons of waste oil on site, as well as over 300 tires. It was quite a blaze.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

So sorry to hear. Having contributed to a F550 tankful of diesoline to my mechanic’s waste oil supply a few weeks ago, I can only imagine the blaze. But like Nuggin said, everyone’s okay. And I can’t imagine what it will take to inventory all the tools and equipment lost, but on the bright side, I’m sure there will are a few pieces of equipment that are going to be nice to have been replaced by the insurance company.
                  Last edited by StoneHendge; 01-04-2018, 04:59 AM.
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Whoa! Dang, dude, that sucks. Big time. Hang in there, buddy.
                    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Kilco,
                      Sorry to hear about this. I would add that while you lost a lot of tools and equipment and materiel, your business is still there... because it is in your family's hands, hearts and minds. All the best and wishes that this becomes just a plateau in your quest, and that you go on to greater heights.
                      I've been looking at Aero again, already have some of their pieces/parts... they make some good stuff.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• rabiddawg
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2013

Sorry to hear this Kilco.

Hang in there, you will get thru this.

Prayers for you and your family.
                        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

What a way to start a new year, it's how you rebound that really counts! Hang in there and don't be shy to ask for assistance.

Comment

• Torquaholic
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2017

Kilco, I'm sorry to read that man. ... "Completely devastating" is likely an understatement of the impact, but I'm truly thankful that no one was injured. Having been a Paramedic for 5 years in rural Texas, I can tell you things don't usually end up that way.

Big events such as this tend to offer a little perspective change for those who experience them. I hope you have a silver lining somewhere in this mess.

Side note: Glad to hear AP and Odin came through in a big way. That's the kind of customer service I want to deal with.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

My career constantly had me dealing with people who suffered through the worst tragedies imaginable. It’s amazing how the Lord will come through and supply whatever need at the appropriate time. The needs vary but people’s compassion and support helps but time heals many wounds. Another unrecognized side effect from dealing with this type of situation is it better prepares you to deal with further misfortune or tragedy. After struggling through these events your better prepared to help others in their time of need.

Things just happen in life and we are not guaranteed an easy ride. Many times there is no one to blame, it just happens. You also see God’s true nature as he has a way to restore and heal.

Comment

Working...
                              X