• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
    Anticipation was the impetus that drove the cat to commit curiosity suicide. Said so on the news, HAS to be true!
    I'm telling ya. It was Poor Judgement. Deep pockets keeps paying off witnesses for alibis.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• longbow62
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2018

So Friday evening I painted the Lilja barrel. I taped off the barrel extension, the spot where the thermal dissipator will be, gas block area, and muzzle threads. I used Alumi-Hyde II FDE and baked it for 6 hours at 150 degrees. It turned out pretty good I think. Yesterday was definitely an adventure getting the barrel on though. I mentioned earlier I am using a VLTOR MUR. The barrel would not just slide in to the receiver extension. It would barely start in about a 1/8" of the way and hang up. I put the barrel in the freezer for four hours and heated the receiver in the oven for an hour on 150. This time it got half way in by tapping with a mallet. It ended up getting totally stuck half way into the receiver. I finally got it out by beating it out using my AR bore guide. At this point I am getting a little concerned. I had to use very light grit sanding cloth on the inside of the receiver extension. I didn't remove much material I more or less just polished it. I put the barrel back in the freezer this time for six hours. I put the receiver back in the oven this time for 2 hours on 200 degrees with Aeroshell 33 coating the inside the receiver extension. This time it slid all the way in no problem but a tight fit. When everything got back to room temperature the receiver had clamped itself to the barrel extension. I cannot pull apart by hand which I hope means it will be very stable. A rough start to this build turned out okay. I hope the rest goes smoother.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Why 6 hours at 150 for the alumi-hyde when at 195 degrees for 2 hours would have got it done?

Comment

• longbow62
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2018

I just figured longer at a lower temp would be better or work just as good.

Comment

• longbow62
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2018

Got it all put together except for thermal disapator which I will order this week and scope and mount. I am leaning towards the new Vortex strike eagle 3-18x. No one seems to have them in stock, but you can backorder. Barrel ended up being a thermal fit, and torque ended up being around 80 pounds. I am really happy with the upper and lower fitment. Absolutely no wobble without using the tensioning screw. No real issues putting together except for the barrel upper tightness. My have to pull a scope off another rifle for the moment so I can start breaking it in.
            Build specifics:
            VLTOR MUR
            Aero Precision M4E1
            Lilja AR740 Grendel 8-T
            SLR adjustable gas block .750
            Spikes Melonited rifle length gas tube
            Midwest Industries 18" SP M-Loc Handguard
            Kaw Valley Linear Comp
            JP Enterprises FMOS
            JP Silent Capture Buffer
            Geissele SSA-E
            Larue A.P.E.G. grip
            Radian Raptor charging handle
            Palmetto State Armory lower parts kit
            DPMS rifle length buffer tube
            Magpul MOE rifle stock
            Elander mags 3-17's and 2-10 rounders
            Grendel.jpg

Comment

• longbow62
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2018

I finally got the JP thermal dissipator put on and a scope mounted. I just pulled a Vortex 6-20 off a rifle I don't shoot much until I get a scope just for the Grendel. I went to the extra trouble of using heat sink compound between the barrel and the dissipator. Never heard of anyone doing it, but it should improve the movement of heat from the barrel to the heat sink.

20180314_211307_resized2.jpg

Comment

• AustinTom
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2018

Looking good. How do you like that handguard? I'm thinking of ordering one for my next build.

Comment

• BCHunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2018

Nice looking build,...highly anticipating the range report.

Comment

• longbow62
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2018

I like the Midwest Industries SP model handguard I am using for my Grendel build. It only weights 16 oz. with barrel nut, but I am not crazy about the two small clamping screws that secure it to the rifle. Instructions say do not over tighten the screws. The flange the barrel nut screws inside of is what the handguard slides over and clamps around so I might use some blue loc-tite on the flange and very lightly on the clamping screws. The handguard is very solid and nice fit the way it is but I worry about the two clamping screws coming loose. The handguard is 18" and large enough that a suppressor would fit inside it. The reason I bought the larger diameter was I did not want clearance issues with the SLR adjustable gas block and the JP Thermal Dissipator. I have a Lancer Systems carbon X-long HG on my .223 AR and ended up having to dremel out a spot because the the top of the gas block was just a hair from touching the handguard. Dremeling a small slot was possible because the Lancer only has a small piece of rail on top for front sight mounting. I went with a full top rail this time and wanted no clearance issues so I made sure I got a large diameter handguard. As far as handguards go IMHO the Lancer carbons are my favorite for feel and comfort. It feels really good in cold weather versus aluminum handguards. Mine has been durable so far but I have not abused the rifle.

I hope to have some kind of range report this weekend. May only be one hundred yard groups and with only AR-Comp powder and 123 SST bullets. I am going to test only one powder and bullet combo at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X