• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xtultegra
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Deflector denting the mouth of the brass

Is this normal for the 6.5G? My cases are ejecting at 4 O'clock. I have an adjustable gas port and dialed a 3/4 turn open after dialing down to a failure to lock back. I have always been a bolt gun guy. So my knowledge is limited to my own research. This is my first center fire semi-auto.
  • 37L1
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

It's normal for any AR. Put some sticky back velcro on the deflector.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

Normal. Doesn't hurt the brass, and it's doing it's intended job. Like 37 said, put a pad on the deflector. A small piece of closed cell black window weatherstripping works great too.
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• ClutchAutomatic
        Warrior
        • Jan 2018

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I cut a strip off of this for mine

Comment

• NightFisher
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2018

I cut a couple of coils off of my ejector spring and that seemed to cure my problem with dented case mouths.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Carefully release the ejector so you don't lose it. Cut off the amount of coil that protrudes when the spring is relaxed. It should be a couple of coils. This should fix it and you won't need to use Velcro.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              Carefully release the ejector so you don't lose it. Cut off the amount of coil that protrudes when the spring is relaxed. It should be a couple of coils. This should fix it and you won't need to use Velcro.
              This is the way I recommend. While you have the ejector out, you may as well polish and radius the ejector to aid in feeding.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• xtultegra
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2018

Cutting the spring scares me a little. But I do love to tinker. I spent a couple of hours polishing my trigger group. (I have polished many sears on many different mechanisms). I think I'll go with velcro for the time being and maybe try cutting the spring and polishing the ejector down the road. Thanks to all. I really appreciate the help!

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Nothing to be scared about, it doesn't affect safety. Plus, those springs are $2 each, or 3 for $5 at Brownells.

I cut the spring and it cured the denting. Not a single failure to eject in hundreds of rounds since.

Velcro manages the symptoms whereas shortening the spring is the cure.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                    Velcro manages the symptoms whereas shortening the spring is the cure.
                    This is a good point Klem. Well said. May be time for me to buy some springs to trim for my own.
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                    X