Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini14 SCAR 18" 6.5 grendel

Hi,

im new here and just in the planning processes for a mini 14 in 6.5 grendel. 18" barrel in a sage SCAR stock.

Any advice before I start cutting metal?
  • longdayjake

You are venturing into new ground and you probably won't get muc help around here. However, I am really excited to see the end product.

Comment

Ouch,
      I was hoping for a guiding light. Ok, i will post as I go!

Comment

Who is making your barrel? The gas port size in the Ruger will need to be calculated for the pressure at the port. Are you using the Ranch Rifle as a basic frame?
        Sounds like fun. A good idea.

Comment

Im getting a douglas blank and turning it myself. Im also going to flute it with some LTR look-a-like flutes before the gas block and after the block a couple of inches so i can still mount up an OPS inc supressor.

Im leaning in the direction of an ASI adjustable gas block so i can bypass all the port balancing and bushing riff raff.

For the rifle i found a smoking deal on a 6.8spc Mini. Those were all ranch rifles werent they? I really didnt look it over that hard, since i just want to tear it apart anyway.

Originally posted by Rapidrob View Post
          Who is making your barrel? The gas port size in the Ruger will need to be calculated for the pressure at the port. Are you using the Ranch Rifle as a basic frame?
          Sounds like fun. A good idea.

Comment

I never followed up! well long story short. It was a bitch. Lots of work. Everything was trial and error but here is the finished product.

i started with a 6.8 mini so I could put a taper on the nose of the bolt and open the boltface on my own and not have to accept ruger's tolerance. Barrel is a douglas. I bought the gas block from ASI and had some gas bushings made. I run a .040" bushing and with the suppressor it slings brass pretty good, but un suppressed it drops the brass about a foot away. I use promag 6.8 mags and they have a little trouble when fully loaded. Im still chasing that problem.

Comment

Very nice work. Is this one of the groups shot with it?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to start with a mini-30? That being said good work
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

That is indeed impressive craftsmanship! Well done.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Excellent!!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Got to love it when a plan comes together. Great idea and it looks nice. Well done.

Comment

Nice

Comment

That was, in fact, the first 4 shots. The funny thing is, Now that its done i have a gun that weighs as much as an AR-10 with all those options!!

Comment

Easier yes, But i did some stuff with the bolt that required some extra material to machine off, so the smaller bolt face left me more to work with.
                              Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                              Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to start with a mini-30? That being said good work

Comment

Working...
                              X