• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figure4LegLock
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2018

Need barrel for 16"

I'm looking to rebarrel into a 6.5 grendel and also build one from the ground up. The application will be woods hunting(hog and still-hunt). Im going 16" due to losing almost no fps from 18".

Which 16" should I grab? Odin, Ballistic Advantage, AA or faxon premium. They all look very similar with the only noticeable difference being odin's higher price (not a problem if it's a better barrel) and intermediate gas length (which could be a problem if finicky or a positive if reliable).

I'd ideally like a finish (nitrided??) barrel that is accurate, light and reliable. Faxon's 5R rifling will not be good for wolf steel will it?
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Here's another option:

Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde, here is our group buy on 16" 6.5 Grendel "Monster" barrels made to our specifications by Faxon Firearms. These barrels are built to the same quality standard as Faxon's Match series or Ballistic Advantage, but we have forum member's-only pricing on

The Wolf steel case does tend to shoot better with conventional rifling, rather than 5R.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Pick the barrel and ditch the wolf ammo. The ammo will negate any advantages you might see in 1 barrel of the 3 over the other, imo.

I want my ammo/barrel to be accurate even when hunting, so that the only extra moa introduced would be my fault if at all...
      yeah steel is good for plinking but... plus the wolf bullet, IIRC, is an undersized diameter so you're introducing several variables into your hunting shot that ought not to be there.
      Just my opinion, others like wolf a lot... so -

I have 2 faxons and an odin, all of them are excellent choices.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

If the Wolf is accurate enough for you use it. You will save about $550 after shooting 1000 rounds.

I have the Faxon 20" group buy (5R EE rifling) and it shot Wolf about 2.3 MOA.

I also have a 20" Ballistic Advantage (BA) barrel and it shot Wolf about 2 MOA.

I have an 18" BA barrel as well and I think it was about 2 MOA with Wolf.

I posted about all of them with pictures in this forum.
        18" here : http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...light=bj139+BA

I didn't see any significant difference between the rifling types.
        Last edited by bj139; 03-12-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

I went with an Odin 16" package that DSArms built up, really couldn't beat their price as it hit most of my check off points and it shoots very well, they also have some built BA barrels too at a fair price. Would have gone with the AA but the lead time went from 3 weeks to 6 at the minimum and I didn't really want to wait at the time.

Nitride is good if done right, if not it will rust as one of mine has which is very disappointing. SS can be painted easily and affords great protection for little effort.

Comment

• 1Shot
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

joeboboutdoors.com has the 16" Odenworks package that includes tunable gas block and tube and CBG for $436 I ordered the 18" package last night for myself.

Comment

• Schrambo
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

So... Lilja, if it's in your budget... Cavity Back Bullets 105gr...

CBB MKZ 105gr 09212017.pdf

Comment

• Figure4LegLock
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2018

Man you guys are too much. Now I have even more options than before. I may just have to buy one of each.

Ideally I want the ballistic advantage barrel with the pinned gas block but with a nitride finish. I hunt in the humid swamps of Florida and have had problems with rusting.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Figure 4-Check this...IMG_1787.JPG

AA lite SS bbl., squared upper, matching hard use bolt, charging handle- decent hand guard, Saturn muzzle brake, AA thread protector, A2 flash hider.

Air dry Cerakote - Magpul flat dark earth. Under 100 rounds through. Safe is too full.
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 03-13-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

Does the Mary Kay stuff come with it Sneaky?

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Only if you want it drill boss, wife snuck that in there- she sells that stuff. Hee hee

Comment

• Drillboss
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                        Only if you want it drill boss, wife snuck that in there- she sells that stuff. Hee hee
                        I couldn't resist...

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I would have posted the same...

To FF4LL- I would be willing to separate the upper, I could use the rec. for a pal's project. Let me know.
                          Last edited by sneaky one; 03-13-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Lastrites
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

Figure4, I too do a bit of swamp hunting in FL as I am out of boca and you would be doing a disservice to yourself in not contacting the Sneaky One as that would be a very nice set up for you.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Stainless barrels are taylor made for damp environments.

Comment

Working...
                              X