X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Comment earlier in thread about the SF guys that let the ladies use the reticle to good effect?
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
      Comment earlier in thread about the SF guys that let the ladies use the reticle to good effect?
      Ah. The GRSC reticle.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Talked to Ed today with norden performance/grsc. He said they have a 1-10x they are working on. Same length and weight as the 1-6x with a 35mm tube that they hope to be for sale by December. Their starting promotional sale will be if you buy a 1-6x you get the 1-10x free.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Over the past 2 weeks, I've taken this down to NS Range again and shot from 300-800yds with it.

Friday, I took my little kids shooting for the first time, and just grabbed a few blasters that would be fun. Started them off on a .22 LR rifle and let them sit in my lap while I shot anything bigger.

We went over to Buffalo Canyon and I tackled the 800yd buffalo right out of the gate, got a register, then put rounds on it with at least an 85% hit rate including the sighter, using Federal 120gr OTM Match this time just to see where it would be. Temp was 53˚F.

Impact was just above the 800yd stadia line for 5.56 M855 from a 14.5-16" barrel.

After letting the kids hear the impact on steel at 800yds several times, I dropped down to 450yds, all hits.

This was all done using a 25rd magazine as a monopod off my rifle case on a bench, pretty wobbly. This little gun is going to shoot really well off a bipod.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I’ll try to remember what I posted here and re-do it, since it shows blank for me.

Here’s the 6 year update on the 12” Grendel with the Faxon Group Buy barrel:

I’ve been taking the 12” Grendel out pretty much every time I shoot long range and it has not disappointed.

I have used it as a loaner during DM Courses where guys ran Wolf steel case through it day and night.

I’ve shot mostly 123gr ELD-M factory ammo through it, along with PPU 110gr and 90gr Federal TNT factory.

It’s easy to hit with on 2-3 MOA targets from 400-900yds.

With the PPU, I was able to make 3 for 3 hits out of the gate at 780yds, then made a 1st-round hit on a 2 MOA plate at 900yds, couldn’t believe it.

The circle plate is at 400yds, boring to hit. The buffalo (bison) is at 780yds. The 900yd steel is off the to the right out of the FoV of these binos. I took this photo through my Leupold binos mounted on one of my tripods. This is one of my favorite ranges to shoot at down in Central Utah.

Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-15-2024, 05:22 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

AWESOME POST! Thank you for this, and your works on this topic. It's been an inspiration in selecting some of my own configurations, and I can't deny the 12" BBL Grendel has to be the single most compact overall performance capable rifle package of all time. An amazing CQB rig, and yet retains sufficient power to be a distance target and pretty good distance hunting rig, all in an insanely tight package.

I do see you went from the cool PDW system to one that works on a more classic buffer tube. I assume the switch was for the weight savings?
              4x P100

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

I used the Maxim PDW furniture for another 12” Grendel with the same barrel, BCG, LaRue MBT-2S, and core parts, but on a 2A Balios Lite receiver set and handguard.

I went to a normal carbine RET on this, using an increased power action spring and standard 2.9oz buffer.

I went to look for more 2A Balios Lite components and was saddened to learn that Nemo Arms bought them out, and they are no longer produced or available. 2A made the best lightweight receiver sets and some of the best handguards on the market, so I’m not sure why they sold.
                Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-15-2024, 05:30 PM. Reason: Original post missing after forum overhaul

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

Is wind deflection calculated, or on real world experience? I noticed how flat the 105s are and want to play with the 107s + xbr. If the deflect less than the 123s it could be pretty good for my use.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                      Is wind deflection calculated, or on real world experience? I noticed how flat the 105s are and want to play with the 107s + xbr. If the deflect less than the 123s it could be pretty good for my use.
                      I use decades of experience in wind-reading to hold with the reticle, and for the 900yd 1st-round hit, my guess as to what the wind was doing proved to be spot-on. I was tickled silly when it connected.
                      Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-15-2024, 05:31 PM. Reason: Original post lost to forum overhaul

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• drewthebrave
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

LRRPF52 - Your informative & well-written posts are a big factor in my decision to build my first 18" Grendel almost a decade ago. Now I've finally added a 12" upper to the stable with hopes that it will fill the "do everything in a small package" role that's all the rage these days.

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences with this cartridge!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by drewthebrave View Post
                          LRRPF52 - Your informative & well-written posts are a big factor in my decision to build my first 18" Grendel almost a decade ago. Now I've finally added a 12" upper to the stable with hopes that it will fill the "do everything in a small package" role that's all the rage these days.

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences with this cartridge!
                          My pleasure. I think if I could go back to 2009 or even earlier, I would have done a 12” Grendel instead of 16”. Bootleg carriers weren’t available then though.

For a 12”, it might make more sense to move the gas port forward, and use a 45˚ port in conjunction with the suppressor.

The Ultra series didn’t exist either from TBAC, as TBAC had just barely started.

The development of certain parts all hit a critical mass for me at the right time with the Faxon group buy, TBAC Ultra 5 having just come out, the Bootleg adjustable carrier, and the LaRue MBT-2S triggers, as well as the pistol brace options on the market.

Kind of a perfect storm....
                          Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-15-2024, 05:40 PM.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Konocti's Wigwam
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2023

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                            I just got my PST 1-4 back from Vortex, and have it mounted and ready to sight in.
                            I have one of the same scopes going on my 12" Faxon when it gets here. That's a Gen 1, right? I recently called Vortex and they sent me some shims, that system kinda sucks, but I also have a PST Gen1 2.5-10x32 scope. I want LPVO for hunting though. I recently bought the Arken EP8 1-8x28 LPVO on sale.

The Gen1 PSTs are good scopes, just that the shim setup is a bit wonky.

KW
                            From my cold dead endmill...

Comment

• Brunt The Grunt
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Konocti's Wigwam View Post
                              I have one of the same scopes going on my 12" Faxon when it gets here. That's a Gen 1, right? I recently called Vortex and they sent me some shims, that system kinda sucks, but I also have a PST Gen1 2.5-10x32 scope. I want LPVO for hunting though. I recently bought the Arken EP8 1-8x28 LPVO on sale.

The Gen1 PSTs are good scopes, just that the shim setup is a bit wonky.

KW
                              Hey hows the Arken EP8 holding up? I see many strong influences on that reticle from Ed Verdugo's scopes.

@LRRPF52

have you had a chance to get your hands on one of these?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Brunt The Grunt View Post

Hey hows the Arken EP8 holding up? I see many strong influences on that reticle from Ed Verdugo's scopes.

@LRRPF52

have you had a chance to get your hands on one of these?
                                I have not. It’s hard for me to take a scope seriously in that price range though. I’ve broken too many sub-$400 scopes to trust them, and have seen many cheap scopes break at courses.

That EP8 reticle is weird with how they did the torso brackets for each range. I prefer the GRSC 1200yd reticle from the 1.1-10x FSO much more.

I use the incremental dots between each stadia line all the time.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X