Barrel company recommendations and about the MagPul UBR stock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MajSlayer777
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2018

Barrel company recommendations and about the MagPul UBR stock.

Hello,

I've got a custom build I'm working on.

I was wondering if someone had a short list place places I could buy a 6.5 Gendel Match barrel.

Also being I want to use a Magpul UBR stock that is mainly for carbine length barrels, the longest barrel length I've found that has a mid-length gas system is 18". (or even a 16" would be fine if it was accurate)

Some people say don't worry about it or get an H2 or H3 buffer. I'm worried about weight and want something a bit more portable than 20-24" barrels.

Is an 18" barrel going to kill accuracy, or is there some high-quality barrels that would still do a good job. I mainly want something to reach out with more power for deer hunting.

Also, should I go for the 1:8 twist or hunt for a 1:7.5 twist? I've been studying the round and most people say 22" to 24" is the best. But I also have learned that a quality barrel with a shorter length can be just as accurate as a longer barrel, at least for 5.56.

If anyone voices their options on my problem that would be great.

Thank you for your time, nice 6.5 Grendel forum. (I really do like this round)
    MajSlayer777
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

The magpul stock is for carbine buffer tubes. You don't need a carbine length gas system for it. You can get high quality barrels from precision firearms, lilja, jp, proof research to name a few.

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by MajSlayer777 View Post
      Hello,

I've got a custom build I'm working on.

I was wondering if someone had a short list place places I could buy a 6.5 Gendel Match barrel.

Also being I want to use a Magpul UBR stock that is mainly for carbine length barrels, the longest barrel length I've found that has a mid-length gas system is 18". (or even a 16" would be fine if it was accurate)

Some people say don't worry about it or get an H2 or H3 buffer. I'm worried about weight and want something a bit more portable than 20-24" barrels.

Is an 18" barrel going to kill accuracy, or is there some high-quality barrels that would still do a good job. I mainly want something to reach out with more power for deer hunting.

Also, should I go for the 1:8 twist or hunt for a 1:7.5 twist? I've been studying the round and most people say 22" to 24" is the best. But I also have learned that a quality barrel with a shorter length can be just as accurate as a longer barrel, at least for 5.56.

If anyone voices their options on my problem that would be great.

Thank you for your time, nice 6.5 Grendel forum. (I really do like this round)
      MajSlayer777
      If I were you, I'd latch onto one of the 16" Faxon group buy barrels. They are ready to ship.

Comment

• MajSlayer777
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2018

What is a group buy? (this is new to me) Do you have a link to the 16" barrels? What kind of MOA should I expect from a 16" barrel? (Match trigger will be installed, most likely a Geissele Super Match 2-Stage, I'm used to them)

Thanks,
        MajSlayer777
        Last edited by MajSlayer777; 04-01-2018, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• Drillboss
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by MajSlayer777 View Post
          What is a group buy? (this is new to me) Do you have a link to the 16" barrels? What kind of MOA should I expect from a 16" barrel? (Match trigger will be installed, most likely a Geissele Super Match 2-Stage, I'm used to them)

Thanks,
          MajSlayer777
          Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde, here is our group buy on 16" 6.5 Grendel "Monster" barrels made to our specifications by Faxon Firearms. These barrels are built to the same quality standard as Faxon's Match series or Ballistic Advantage, but we have forum member's-only pricing on

Comment

• BCHunter
            Warrior
            • Jan 2018

What is your budget? What is "reaching out" for you? What type of hunting, spot and stalk in mountains, stand sitting in ag area, still hunting in heavily wooded area? The more details the better advice you will get.

Accurate barrels are more due to quality then barrel length.

Barrel length affects velocity, which you need for a hunting bullet to function, generally 1800fps at target distance.

Everything is a compromise, max effective range will be with a longer heavier barrel, if your max is 200 or 300 yards you can get away with a shorter lighter profile barrel.

I have an Odin Works 18" intermiate gas length..longer then mid shorter then rifle. Built mine for same purpose deer hunting with AR out to 200 yards. It has good balance with a magpul ACS-L stock, functions fine with carbine buffer and spring. Is accurate more so then shooter, gotten sub moa groups with 3 different handloads and 123 ELDM factory load.

Considering group buy barrel for second 6.5 grendal build.

Comment

• 1Shot
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

I also just built using the OdenWorks 18" and it works fine with carbine buffer and spring. I have a mag pull MO stock on it. I used a STNGR.USA 15" float tube handguard which is a GREAT tube and depending on the model averages $125/35 shipped. They are light and well built in the good old USA by Texas boys. My rifle also balances well and is a good carry weight even though I have a big old Vortex 30mm tube 6-20x44 scope on it. I have just done some break in of the barrel shooting and have not had time to do a load work up but it is defiantly a sub MOA shooter with about anything that I put in it. This barrel usually comes in a package that includes barrel that is SS and hand lapped and guaranteed MOA accuracy, complete bolt group, a tunable gas block and mid length gas tube and depending were you get it run $430/40. They also have 16" and 20". Joeboboutdoors.com is where I got mine but Oden Works has their own site. As has been said keep in mind that the longer range you intend to be shooting game the longer the barrel you are going to need to allow you to have enough velocity to have proper bullet expansion. On average from 18" barrel 123 gr bullets will run around 2450 fps and 20" will get you around 100 more fps. Depending on the bullets sleekness some will retain more velocity than others at yardage.
              Last edited by 1Shot; 04-01-2018, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X