• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRandi
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2013

JP Rifles 6.5 Grendel bolt

Just got a brand new JP Rifles 6.5 Grendel bolt for a new rifle build. First JP Bolt I’ve used with their new “enhanced” gas ring. Original version came with a McFarland 1 piece ring that was very tight. Not sure when they changed, the new gas ring is also 1 piece, but is ground on the outside. Inserting it into a known good carrier it has almost no friction. Popped some mil spec gas rings on for comparison and normal sliding friction.

You know the improvised home check of stand the assembled bolt carrier with the bolt extended face down on a table and it should remain extended. Well with the JP enhanced ring I can shake the assembled carrier back and forth and the bolt will slide.

Checked the JP manual and their web page and they state the reduced friction is normal, but they don’t say how much the sliding friction is reduced. Only that it will not pass the conventional stand test. Probably going to make a call to JP tomorrow when they open to get their take.

Going to run it as JP delivered and see how it does unless the phone conversation says otherwise. Just curious to what others have experienced using a JPRifles 6.5 Grendel bolt with the new ring setup.

Side note, perfectly machined with very nice finishing work.

David
    Last edited by DRandi; 04-18-2018, 11:49 PM.
    A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...
  • GMZ
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2018

I have one and when I received it I had the same first impressions as you.

Shot 100 rds of AG from ASC 15 rd mags no problems. Some suppressed some not.

Comment

Working...
    X