X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob4432
    Warrior
    • May 2016

Interesting, so according to my knowledge (which is possibly off), Odin Works, TC, Brownell's & LaRue all got into the 6.5G game after Alexander had it pretty much finalized? Wonder if they were trying to create a KeyMod vs MLok situation, or is my time table off? So glad this was pointed out and I found it before I ordered some of the TC 6.5G BCGs, then would be wondering WTF was going on.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Vascar - interesting list of vendors... the ones I've seen from Brownell's lately sure looked like Toolcraft ones...
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Guys who make them the TC way obviously concluded that making a shorter FP costs less than making a Grendel spec, longer bolt.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Before you place your BCG into your receiver, push the bolt fully into the carrier, push the firing pin fully forward and see that the pin protrudes far enough but not too far. Look at a standard 223 BCG for comparison. It is readily apparent if you have mismatched the parts.

Comment

• bob4432
            Warrior
            • May 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            Guys who make them the TC way obviously concluded that making a shorter FP costs less than making a Grendel spec, longer bolt.
            I can understand the economics of it, but doesn't that make it 3 possible bolts? What FP do the .125 bolt face bots use?

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
            Before you place your BCG into your receiver, push the bolt fully into the carrier, push the firing pin fully forward and see that the pin protrudes far enough but not too far. Look at a standard 223 BCG for comparison. It is readily apparent if you have mismatched the parts.
            Appreciate the info, I would just rather deal with the least amount of variants possible.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

After the pierced primers with Odin bolts it was realized the firing pin protrusion was to long so later bolts shipped with shortened firing pins. Whether Odin was not aware of the difference in the length of the bolts or inadvertently supplied a few bolts with full length firing pins is unknown. It’s not a big deal to shorten a firing pin .011 but if you replace a Tool craft bolt with a AA, Manson or GB Monster bolt you’ll need to get a milspec firing pin.

Any time you move away from 5.56/223 in an AR-15 the potential is there to loose some compatibility. Unfortunately there is no governing body to specify a standard like there is with military contracts.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Bob, no problem if you want to keep your bolts and pins simple. That's the conclusion I came to. At least you know that, if you want to keep the TC pair, keep it as a pair. We all have a few growing pains as we get into the Grr -- or any rifle, for that matter.

Comment

• bob4432
                  Warrior
                  • May 2016

Appreciate the info from all, just surprised to find another surprise after all this time.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Life tends to give the test first, then the lesson!!

Comment

• SDW
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2018

Does anyone have an OAL dimension on these oddball Toolcraft firing pins? Reading through this thread has gotten me to wonder if my bastardized BCG is good to go. My 6.5 bolt came from Ballistic Advantage, from whom I also bought my 6.5 barrel. Beyond the Type II and MPI etc stuff, I know nothing about it. And my bolt carrier is a NiB "Premium" unmarked models, which are rumored to come from Toolcraft.

Come to think of it, I suppose I can just pull the pin out of my "Grendel" BCG and compare its OAL with that of the FP from one of my BCM BCGs. If I do that I'll post the data here anyway. Might help someone.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2016

I can tell you when I bought my NiB Toolcraft BCG (which i love).... I asked some questions to the Toolcraft Engineer and the #1 Toolcraft BCG dealer in the U.S.
                        I am not going to paste or type the discussions from phone and email but, I can tell you both gentlemen backed up the products with great info and of course answered all my questions.
                        Toolcraft will back em up if there is any issues they assured me.

Here is some measurements for people that would like to know:

Toolcraft 5.56 NiB bolt 2.800"
                        Toolcraft 5.56 firing pin 3.2810"

AAC 5.56 NiB bolt 2.800"

Deadbolt TiN 5.56 bolt 2.8005"
                        Deadbolt firing 5.56 pin 3.2800"

Radical Arms 5.56 bolt 2.8005"
                        Radical Arms 5.56 firing pin 3.2810"

Toolcraft 6.5 Grendel NiB bolt 2.8035"
                        Toolcraft 6.5 Grendel NiB pin 3.2825"

Toolcraft 6.5 Grendel Nitride bolt 2.800"
                        Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel bolt 2.813"
                        Last edited by mdewitt71; 08-02-2018, 02:18 AM.
                        ― George Orwell

Comment

• SDW
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2018

Thanks!

Interesting. All of your measurements came out longer than mine. FWIW, I measured just the FPs from a BCM BCG and this PSA NiB BCG:

BCM pin = 3.274"
                          PSA pin = 3.279"

Mine's an old-school 6" dial caliper that I bought at some technical/industrial liquidator store a number of years ago. No brand. I made sure it was zeroed before measuring. All I know for sure now is that the PSA (possibly a Toolcraft) pin is longer than the BCM pin by about 0.005". Yet both my pins seem to be shorter than your Toolcraft 6.5G FP.

Comment

Working...
                          X