• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Adjustable gas block

Ok gent's need some opinions.

Been running both my ar grendel with jp split yoke design adjustable gas blocks, well after gathering the strength to get out of bed rest today I went to put the finishing touches on my second rebuild using the Spartan side charging uppers I just started useing.

Got it all together went to set the gas level to hornady black and can't get proper function to safe my life, go back tear it all down to double check proper placment.

That's when I noticed something on the gas block, when I put the two halves together I could see they were no longer round and starting to egg shape.

So I'm thinking this is allowing gas to escape the system and cause the problem.

Now this gas block has been on this barrel close too two years and has been uninstalled and reinstalled several times over the course of two years, so it has seen some action.

I'm going to get a new gas block but what y'all think should I just reorder anouther split yoke design from JP knowing in a year or two I will have to replace it again or should I go with a different company's adjustable gas block.

What say the members?
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Are you in a hurry?

Understood that the gas block is well used, but it's condition seems strange to me, especially considering its JP. I'd suggest a returning it to JP with a polite letter asking what would cause it to deform. It'd be interesting to hear their take on it. They might suggest it's a defect and offer to replace it our discount a replacement.

I just installed my first JP gas block on a 5.56 SPR build. I like it a lot.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Blocks should not stretch and deform. Nor are they consumable parts that you replace like tyres on a car. That split yoke design looks like a solution looking for a problem. Perhaps a standard, boring one-piece block that you know will last the lifetime of the gun.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
        Are you in a hurry?

Understood that the gas block is well used, but it's condition seems strange to me, especially considering its JP. I'd suggest a returning it to JP with a polite letter asking what would cause it to deform. It'd be interesting to hear their take on it. They might suggest it's a defect and offer to replace it our discount a replacement.

I just installed my first JP gas block on a 5.56 SPR build. I like it a lot.
        Nope not in a hurry.

Love my JP products and like I said it has been installed and uninstalled on this barrel many times since I first put it on the barrel.

I'm going to give them a call tommorw but don't see them giving up a replacment due to it being heavily used for two years.

I noticed when I went to reinstall it after changing to the Spartan upper that the top section of the gas block wouldn't sit flat on the barrel like it was out of round, had to use a dead blow hammer to seat it to the profile of the barrel, then finished installing it and setting the screws to tourqe.

When I took it back off I put the two pieces together and screwed them together by hand like it would be on the barrel and you can see by eye that the two pieces are out of round.

I also noticed that even with it being bedded with red locktite I was still getting gas leakage around the block and where the gas tube enters the block.

This type of leak has never happened with this block before and I have always bedded the gas tube and block to barrel since learning about doing this from LRRPF52.

May just go with anouther JP gas block but not the split yoke design.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

I would go the boring route. The need for a heavy hammer is definitely a clue.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

You are correct grayfox about the hammer thing.

I'm not made about it heck it's been used and abused for two years now so it having a issue now is no surprise even top shelf parts like the ones from JP have a useable life span.

That old saying anything man made can and will fail.

Not sire if I'm going to go back with the split yoke design or just get there normal clamp on design to replace this one.

It is nice to not have to take the brake off the barrel when I want to break it down for inspection or cleaning, heck even my barrel nut fits over my muzzle break so that's a awesome thing too.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Get a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. You can adjust gas flow 1 of 2 ways, either by restriction or by bleed off.
              Kill a hog. Save the planet.
              My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                Get a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. You can adjust gas flow 1 of 2 ways, either by restriction or by bleed off.
                I looked at them last night.

Haven't ordered yet as I'm waiting to hear back from JP, they asked for pics of the block, said they have never heard of that design having a issue like that.

I don't think they will warranty it, nor do I believe they should due to it being used hard for the better part of 2 years.

But never hurts to cover the bases before dropping more cash.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Couple of pics.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

That design looks innovative but needs a different type of metal or more meat in places. You have just become their long-term R&D tester...I hope they reward you with a replacement!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                      That design looks innovative but needs a different type of metal or more meat in places. You have just become their long-term R&D tester...I hope they reward you with a replacement!
                      It really is a great design and super simple to get lined up correctly.

I did hear back from them and they said this is the first time they have seen this issue with this design.

I don't believe they should warranty it or replace it for free as it's two years old now and I have used the heck out of it, bet it has been on and off this barrel 30-40 times now.

It's steel not aluminum so it has aged well and worked great till this point.

It's just reached its end of operational life span.

When I clean my rifles I take them down to part level scrubb and inspect and then reassemble, so it has seen more abuse then most would ever put on it.

Still waiting on JP to say if they want to give me one, not looking for it to be honestly , perfectly happy buying a new one.
                      Last edited by A5BLASTER; 06-25-2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

The second JP block I purchased fit my Shilen perfectly. The first one was out of spec. Nobody is perfect.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mesa1978 View Post
                          The second JP block I purchased fit my Shilen perfectly. The first one was out of spec. Nobody is perfect.
                          You are correct there sir, nobody and nothing is perfect.

Started this post just to see what adjustable blocks most members were during and to see if I found one that would make me want to try different then JP.

At this time I haven't so most likely will be getting their click adjustable version of the same gas block I have now.

Hard to go wrong with JP their parts and customer service has served me well so far.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                            Blocks should not stretch and deform. Nor are they consumable parts that you replace like tyres on a car. That split yoke design looks like a solution looking for a problem. Perhaps a standard, boring one-piece block that you know will last the lifetime of the gun.
                            Sorry I missed this post somehow sir.

I'm going to have to disagree with you whole heartily 100% every part of a ar rifle, it matter's not if ar15 or ar10 is a consumable part.

Point being they are made from metal and made by man they are domed to fail at some point.
                            Last edited by A5BLASTER; 06-26-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Les
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2016

I've used an SLR clamp on for my 2 builds, seems to work well.
                              Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

Working...
                              X