• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • King31
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2016

Help Me Build My 2nd Grendel

My first 6.5G was a 20" Odin Works that I have been very pleased with, but it is just a little too much for deer hunting. My target scope and heavy barrel are less than ideal for packing around in the woods. I have a small start on my 2nd build, but would love some ideas/suggestions on where to go. This will be a dedicated hunting rifle so would like to keep it relatively light, but still have cost in mind. My first was roughly $1800 so trying to cut that down to <$1k.

Items thus far:
    18" Faxon GB barrel
    Monster GB bolt
    Anderson Lower (not ideal, but no problems yet)
    PSA LPK and FCG (shot under 1MOA with this trigger so not worried about it for hunting)

My scope choice right now is a Vortex Strike Eagle, which I think will be good for my intended use. What does the Horde suggest??
    Trevor | NRA Life Member
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Don’t build it go buy the the 16” upper in the classifieds. Built by precision firearms with Lilja barrel.

Please buy it before I give in
    Last edited by rabiddawg; 07-12-2018, 02:43 AM.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
      Warrior
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
      Don’t build it go buy the the 16” upper in the classifieds. Built by precision firearms with Lilja barrel.

What he said!
      "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I feel sure this is the upper rabbidawg if referring to. Just click on the link below.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Don't worry about the Anderson lower. They are just as good as most of the "BIG NAME" forged lowers because they are made in the same factory only the names have been changed. I have 4 of them and never had any problems.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

I built a rifle once with a PSA lpk. Once. My money is only interested in BCM LPKs now off the shelf. There are other good ones, but I can't tell you how much I hated those PSA take down pins. I can't in good conscience recommend this choice. I know it's 50-60 bucks, but I hated that kit every time I sat down to clean that gun. Until I had to spend another $35 bucks on some Noveske pins, and thought the whole time to myself how I should have just gone with a set I knew would have been good the first time. Geez, I grew to detest that PSA kit so much look at my poor attitude towards it now!

(There have been 1000s of guys build their guns with PSA kits, and lots of them would tell you they work fine. So, take this with a grain of salt, and realize it's just one fogie's opinion... I'd rather buy a good kit from a good source for $100 and be proud of my build forever than spend $20 on a maybe set and be disappointed. My priorities have changed since I built my first rifles...)
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• BCHunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2018

The upper rabbidog sugest is a great deal that I've been resisting myself. But since you have the barrel already, I would suggest get the aero precision upper hand guard combo, from armor alley, there is only 2 styles m4e1 or s-one but for the price it is hard to beat. I would also sugest the la rue md2t trigger for 87.00 right now. The scope you suggest would work but they are heavy.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post

Give in to the temptation Dawg just give in you know you want it lmao

Comment

• King31
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2016

Finally bought a few more pieces to the puzzle.

Added a Midwest Industries 15" G3 Mlok handguard which I love on my first build and I also bought a Brownells M16 BCG to house the bolt. I think the stock is going to be my biggest hurdle to jump over now. The Odin Works Zulu looks pretty sweet and a friend just installed one so hopefully I'll be able to shoot it a time or two. Thanks everyone.
                  Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by King31 View Post
                    Finally bought a few more pieces to the puzzle.

Added a Midwest Industries 15" G3 Mlok handguard which I love on my first build and I also bought a Brownells M16 BCG to house the bolt. I think the stock is going to be my biggest hurdle to jump over now. The Odin Works Zulu looks pretty sweet and a friend just installed one so hopefully I'll be able to shoot it a time or two. Thanks everyone.
                    Moe fixed carbine is what I would sujest for a stock nice and sold stock and simple plus cheaper.

Nothing wrong with a Anderson lower they will serve you just as well as any other lower.

I second the psa lower kit I would get a Anderson lower parts kit cheap and work perfecrly. If you don't want to drop better money on a better trigger you can get a trigger adjustment screw and law call lower power trigger and hammer prongs with it from joebobs and lower the trigger pull down to 3.5 pounds. Still might have a lil creep but it will be better then the psa trigger for sure but still not as good as say a lower level two stage rra and nowhere as good as a Larue or ssa,ssa-e.

Trigger pull to me is just as important hunting as it is shooting paper maybe even more so since paper doesn't have a life your trying to take.

Hope this helps sir

Comment

Working...
                    X