Where to find 9/16 -24 flash hiders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Alexander

Black Weapons Armory, Smiths, AAC, Vltor, WCI, YHM, Millenium, Noveske, Gemtech, A2, JP, and there are doubtless a few others I have not mentioned.

Correctly made A2 flash hiders are machined from solid so they do cost a bit more but are concentric and straight.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Mr. Alexander, your A2 is reasonably priced, i just wish you also made an A1 in the same price range. The only A1 I have seen in the Grendel barrel threads is made by Vltor and its not reasonably priced at all at about 60 bucks.... imho.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

They are a little expensive but I machine them from bar stock not castings and they are heat treated correctly.

I like the A1 it is probably my favorite flash hider. When I made the 17HMR I made an excuse to make these again but they will bludgeon me if I try and work them up in 9/16-24.

Just for reference, cleaning out the 1/2-28 threads on a lathe gives the near perfect size to thread to 9/16-24 and the taps are a standard from McMaster-Carr.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

Thanks Bill !!! I have an A2 of yours for now ( you have the best priced one in that size threads ) and i will experiment with tapping my own as you suggest.
          I still wish you made them... surely I cant be the only nut wanting these elegantly simple flash hiders with clean lines.

Again thanks,

Happy new year!!!i
          Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Look at Vias muzzle brakes they will make a custom MB for about a 150.00 and they are about the best you can get.

Comment

Regarding the Smith Vortex: I have seen several people and at least one manufacturer encounter problems with accuracy using the Vortex's with helical slots. The hypothesis is that the muzzle pressure actually torques the device against the barrel shoulder behind the the threads, inducing stresses in that area, causing inconsistent muzzle integrity with each shot. Anyone with Smith Vortex's that shoots amazing groups?

Comment

• noobshooter

Rainier Arms sells the VLTOR in 9/16" threads for $52. I've used 'em on two builds and there's nothing that'll get hung up on brush.

Comment

• Grendel-Gene

The best economical option is to buy an A1 for under 10 bucks from Midway or Brownells and tap it... i just wish i could buy them already that way for under $20.00!!!

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Regarding the Smith Vortex: I have seen several people and at least one manufacturer encounter problems with accuracy using the Vortex's with helical slots. The hypothesis is that the muzzle pressure actually torques the device against the barrel shoulder behind the the threads, inducing stresses in that area, causing inconsistent muzzle integrity with each shot. Anyone with Smith Vortex's that shoots amazing groups?
                    Not that I personally qualify for shooting amazing groups consistently, but I know that some shooters prefer the Vortex because it isn't torqued on excessively. It goes on hand tight, then a couple of shots supposedly enable the angled flutes to tighten the device appropriately. It can also be removed to allow access to the crown, then replaced without noticeable shifts in POI. Removing a Vortex is relatively easy, so I don't think the pressure against the barrel shoulder is enough to make much difference.

My guess is that the potential influence on the exiting gas and bullet by the angled flutes might be more of a factor than the any stress placed upon the barrel. While I've gotten very good accuracy results from a Vortex, I tend to see better consistent results with the A2 FH. Could just be a fluke, or just my own imagination...
                    Drifter

Comment

You can get can an awesome muzzle break in 9/16-24, or any other thread for that matter from Ross Schuler for only $45 shipped. He's a fantastic machinist that operates out of his house. Now that I think about it, this deserves its own thread. I'll post some pics of the one I got.

Ross's email is <rem40xb1@msn.com>

Comment

• hellojoseywales@gmail.com
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2015

AAC makes a 9/16 x 24 51t blackout flash hider.

SKU: M-GREAACB
                        6.5 Grendel AAC Blackout 51T Flash Hider (9/16-24)

Comment

• hellojoseywales@gmail.com
                          Unwashed
                          • Dec 2015

I should mention that I found that flash hider here on AA's site.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2015

you can adapt to and from most any thread as well.

Comment

• am4966
                              Chieftain
                              • Jul 2014

I wonder why bill choose the 9/16x24 and not use the common 5/8x24
                              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Bill Alexander
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jul 2015

Muzzle thread standards have long been a bit of a mess. The original imperial thread size for the 30 caliber weapon was 9/16"-24. When Armalite was brought back and they built the first AR10 rifles, under the stewardship of my old mentor who was at LMT, they went with the 5/8"-24. At the time it was to avoid people using existing 30 cal muzzle devices. So the industry found itself with the 5/8-24 as the "standard" for the 308 AR which in turn worked well with a 0.875" gas block journal. The barrel running forward provided enough shoulder for a peel washer or the newer crush washer.

When we pushed the Grendel away from the heavy 24" barrels towards lighter profiles and shorter barrels, it was prudent to use the 0.750" gas block journal, which is common. This left the barrel running forward at a diameter of 0.725" and typically a shoulder for the muzzle thread of 0.700" Much as a 5.56 weapon would have. While suitable for a peel washer there is too little shoulder for a crush washer. The obvious solution was the 9/16"-24. Best of all, 7 years ago we could bore out the smaller more elegant 5.56 muzzle devices and rethread rather than be stuck with the then big and heavy 308 units. With the rise of popularity of the AR10/SR25 design we now find many better sized options which momentarily set me looking at changing the threads but equally now we have a host of options in 9/16"-24 which are generally bored to a more suitable size.

I am only just now finding similar history within 338 caliber barrel threads. The near standard in Europe/NATO is the M18-1.5 but it was never intended as the thread for the 338 caliber. It had origins on 308 rifles. When AI produced the first 338 Lapua rifles they used the muzzle brakes and hence threads they had on hand for the existing production 308 and 300 Win Mag rifles.

Comment

Working...
                                X