• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandi
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2014

Need Help With Carbine Stock on Rifle Build

So I'm finally getting close to being able to assemble my first real top to bottom build and I need some advice. I want to use a carbine stock on it (most likely the Luth-AR MBA-3) and I'm hoping someone has already done this and can recommend a buffer that works well.

It's a 20" barrel, rifle length gas system, SLR adjustable gas block...not sure if that makes a difference but there it is. I've heard folks say that the carbine buffer works, those that say the rifle buffer works and those that say I need something else but none of them were from folks that did it with the 6.5 Grendel.

Anyone put a carbine stock on a Grendel caliber rifle that can recommend a buffer that will work? Thanks.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

The buffer tube pretty much determines the spring and buffer. If your using a rifle length buffer tube use a rifle length spring and rifle buffer. Since your wanting to use a carbine buffer tube with an adjustable gas block you can use a standard carbine buffer spring and standard 3 ounce carbine buffer. You just adjust the gas to where the bolt is caught by the bolt catch on an empty mag. You can add a little more gas to ensure the rifle functions dirty or in colder weather.

I have a 20” Shilen barrel with rifle length gas port and am using a carbine buffer tube, carbine spring and supplied carbine buffer with a JP adjustable gas block. Mine has been gtg and very pleasant to shoot. Stacks brass at about 4 O Clock.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Depends on what weight bcg you have.

I had a 18 inch with rifle gas on carbine tube, jp spring and standard carbine buffer but couldn't get it the gas to tune with a m16 profile bcg, swapped out the m16 bcg with my jp lowmass big and it worked fine.

Then I took tungsten weights and brought the weight of the carbine buffer up to h2 and put the m16 profile bcg back in and refined gas and it ran fine that way as well.

Now the rifle tube and buffer I had less work to get it to run no matter if I used lowmass parts are standard parts I could tune the gas to run either way just fine.

Guess it just depends on what length stock your most comfortable with, bottom line is every rifle is different and you won't know for sure till you build it and set the gas if you will have a issue are not with whatever buffer system you selected.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• Brandi
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2014

Hmmm....so should work with the carbine buffer if using an adjustable gas block. Just FYI, the BCG is a regular nickel boron Spikes Tactical model so I assume it's pretty close in weight to standard BCG's made by everyone. Since I probably won't be able to afford the new buttstock for now (it's taken 3 years just to save enough for what I have) I'll have to use the spare A2 buttstock I have for now. I've got an extra pink Magpul MOE but it would look pretty silly on this rifle lol.

Much thanks y'all!!

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

For the A2 stock and a rifle length buffer tube, you can use a carbine buffer and spring, just insert a carbine/rifle spacer into the tube first, then the spring and buffer weight. I have done this and the carbine buffer/spring worked fine in a Magpul fixed rifle stock.

Spikes tactical bcg should be gtg for you, of course with the Grendel bolt...
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Brandi View Post
            Hmmm....so should work with the carbine buffer if using an adjustable gas block. Just FYI, the BCG is a regular nickel boron Spikes Tactical model so I assume it's pretty close in weight to standard BCG's made by everyone. Since I probably won't be able to afford the new buttstock for now (it's taken 3 years just to save enough for what I have) I'll have to use the spare A2 buttstock I have for now. I've got an extra pink Magpul MOE but it would look pretty silly on this rifle lol.

Much thanks y'all!!
            You can damage your rifle if you use a carbine buffer in a rifle RET, without using a spacer.

The rails on the BCG will impact the lower receiver at the base of the RET boss inside the lower, steel against aluminum.

I would just use a rifle buffer and spring inside a rifle RET and be done with it.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

I am running a Luth MB3, AP carbine buffer tube and spring with a Spikes T1 buffer (same weight as H2 I weighed em) 20" BA rifle length tube. It ejects most of em at 3:00 with a vltor non adjustable gas block.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                You can damage your rifle if you use a carbine buffer in a rifle RET, without using a spacer.

The rails on the BCG will impact the lower receiver at the base of the RET boss inside the lower, steel against aluminum.

I would just use a rifle buffer and spring inside a rifle RET and be done with it.
                Roger, that's why I added the spacer. I didn't have a rifle buffer so researched it, tried it out and the complete combo works well.
                Wouldn't think of using just the carbine spring and buffer in the rifle length tube...
                But rifle/rifle/rifle is certainly the norm.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Brandi
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant that I'll be using the A2 stock with it's rifle buffer and spring until I can buy the other stock.

Comment

Working...
                  X