• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Recommend me a top notch BCG please

Hi,

I bought some shitty cheap BCG, and after around ~500 rnds, my extractor broke there.

Please recommend me a really great BCG for gas system; I prefer now to have a Nickel Boron type, and if possible - a light weight one.

Any recommendations? (of course for Grendel 6.5 caliber )
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Cryptic coatings to answer your question. Call them. They just did a limited run of .136 bolts. They use toolcraft bolts and coat them.

Comment

• mdram
      Warrior
      • Sep 2016

.136 or .125?
      why not just a good bolt like a jp, pf, ect?
      or an extractor from one of them?
      just some targets for printing
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

That, or a JP. Their LMOS (or whatever, it's eearley) are great looking and from all reports work like a sewing machine when the system is tuned right.
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• R2BRO
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

So just curious, is using lower grade barrel with higher grade BCG spoils the BCG? or what?

My grendel is Type 2.

Also, my barrel now is the $140 one

And, when someone mentioned toolcraft, so did you mean something like this:
            Toolcraft 6.5 Grendel / 6mm ARC Bolt Carrier Group - Nickel Boron - TC65GBCGNIB, Best Prices and Fast Shipping at Arm or Ally!

what if i buy that above thing?

p.s. I do not like idea of spare extractors, i wanna build one setup which will last for 20k shots without any need of part replacement!

Comment

• R2BRO
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

wow but this just bolt costs $140

and its quality extractor ONLY costs $60!!!

whereas that above link from toolcraft sells the whole BCG for just $120... so is JP much better than that toolcraft thing i posted before?

Comment

• mdram
                Warrior
                • Sep 2016

note: the toolcraft uses a special firing pin. a standard mil spec firing pin will not work

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

There is no problem using an expensive bolt or bolt carrier group with a cheaper barrel. In my mind the most important component in an AR-15 is the barrel. You can have the most expensive best manufactured bolt and/or carrier manufactured but it will likely have very little to no effect on accuracy.

I’m cheap and try to use my money wisely. I try to choose quality barrel, trigger/FCG and optic. These are the most critical components to me in an AR-15. I have a very nice Precision Firearms 6.5 Grendel BCG I bought on sale. It cleans up a little easier than my phosphate or Nitride PSA carriers but the function is no different even though the PF looks great.

For a budget build in your situation I’d buy a couple extractors now or two new extractors and a spare complete bolt (probably a group buy bolt when they are back in stock) for if the bolt ever fails

Comment

• mdram
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2016

wasnt there talk one time of group by for extractors?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
                      So just curious, is using lower grade barrel with higher grade BCG spoils the BCG? or what?

My grendel is Type 2.

Also, my barrel now is the $140 one

And, when someone mentioned toolcraft, so did you mean something like this:
                      Toolcraft 6.5 Grendel / 6mm ARC Bolt Carrier Group - Nickel Boron - TC65GBCGNIB, Best Prices and Fast Shipping at Arm or Ally!

what if i buy that above thing?

p.s. I do not like idea of spare extractors, i wanna build one setup which will last for 20k shots without any need of part replacement!
                      I think your asking a bit to much of the system to go 20k rounds without needing to change any parts.

If you think about it every single part and piece used in the ar is a wear in/wear out replace part.

Now that thats out the way.

Spend the money and buy a replacment extractor from AA then go to righttobear website and get their lowmass bcg for 60 bucks and if you need them get a firing pin,retaining pin and cam pin to complete the bcg.

Make sure you have a lowmass buffer and adjustable gas block to use with the lowmass bcg or you won't get the full effect of tunned gas and less recoil.

Hope this helps but don't expect the gun to go 20k rounds without something being wore out and needing repair or replacment that's just unrealistic.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

I have a Toolcraft with over 300+ QPQ doing just fine for $79 I paid for it. I also have the NiB and it has had some problems with NiB barrel extensions. Save your money the nitrided QPQ work just fine.
                        Last edited by Popeye212; 08-31-2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

You wanted a "really great BCG recommendation" - didn't say anything about price considerations. As far as I know, your BCG is a piece of steel. Phosphated, standard, mil-spec (whatever this really means) seem to work as well as any ultra expensive coated and polished doohickeys.

If it were me, I'd go find a PSA unmarked standard bcg and run it if you have issues with your current carrier. Replace the bolt with a good one, and you should be good to go. Bluntforcetrauma (BFT) says the bolts are a few months out, but when they land that'll be your best option IMO.

If you need something more immediate, I can't think of a better supplier than AA. They designed the thing, they should sell you a quality part. And I've never heard any complaints about them not taking care of a customer.

My two cents, good luck.
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Sounds like if you replace the extractor it may work reliably, forever.

Comment

• se3388
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2011

I have two 6.5 Grendel (bolts are from Group Buy here), one 308 AR (Nickel Boron coated) and two 7.62 x 39 bcg's all from Toolcraft and all have worked perfectly with several hundred rounds through each. One 6.5 and one 7.62 x 39 bcg has several thousand rounds through them, the 308 AR bcg has probably 1200 rounds through it.

Steve........

Comment

Working...
                              X