• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

New 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel-Upper build

So, I ordered a 6.5 Grendel 20" fluted Ballistic Advantage barrel from ArmOrAlly.com (got a pretty good deal IMO), put it with an Aero Upper receiver and a Stoner lightweight 13.5" free-float, BCM gas block and melonite rifle length gas tube. I added a VG6-6.5 Gamma MB and matched it all onto an existing lower.

First impressions of the barrel, fit and finish are excellent, it is a bead blasted stainless, barrel was clean, the flutes line up with the Ext pin and the gas port. Had to heat up the receiver and cool down the barrel so they would fit, it was REALLY tight (but that's a good thing). It weighs in at 33 0z, which is lots lighter than most of the 20" I was seeing... they were more like 42-46-49 oz, the med heavy/DMR style weights.
    Total rifle weight comes in at 8 lb 14 oz (with the Vortex 30mm scope)... only about 10-12 oz heavier than my 16er. Nice.

65-20BA-pic.jpg

65-20-BA-Flutes2.jpg

So I plopped on a 4-12x40 Prostaff for initial breakin... which went pretty well, not really shooting for groups yet but everything cycled with no FTF, FTE's etc. Using 123 Hornady AG and 123 Black rounds, and a few Federal 90 AE's.

But I didn't like the scope on there so, I had just bought that new Vortex Diamondback Tactical, 30mm, 4-16x44 FFP, and that really helps my sight! MOA dots and lots of elevation potential, 85 MOA.

With 50 rounds downrange I already have some sub-1" groups at 100 yds in several loads, commercial and handload. No chrony results yet, those will come a bit later.
    All shots at 100 yds, indoor range, 72 *F, elev 328.

123AG: 0.920" and 1 Stonehenge.
    123 Hdy Black (3 rounds): 0.784" (A second pair of 0.492 but from a different box/lot# of HdyBlk)
    123 SST (28.2 gr AR-comp load), 4 rounds, 0.945"
    123 SST (28.4 gr AR-Comp), 3 rounds, 1.164"
    And the "Screamer!!"
    110 Controlled Chaos, (29.8 gr XBR), 0.541"
    (the grid lines on this background paper are at 0.2" btw)

65-BA-Shots-083118.jpg

So..... so far , so good! My initial impressions are very positive, for the session I had some trouble getting my rear bag to work for me, that I think accounts for some of the spread and POI shifts during the session.
    But I'm seeing 5 loads, 4 different bullets, 2 commercial and 3 handloads, with decent groupings, for a round count of 50 so far.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

If it follows mine at about 80 rds. you will see them tighten up even more. That is with following their break in routine FYI the "Frosty/Cryo" treatment makes them much easier to go in.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I used my secret micro-laser-reblation machine instead .....

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

As long as it was a liquid nitrogen laser it still qualifies, right?
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Have to re-read the label....................

BAM!!!!! you're right on the money!!!!!

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

I have a little more tweaking to do on it and finalize w/ some strategic thread-locker in a couple places....
            But it seems to like some of the same loads I'm using for my 16er and the howa... which is nice.

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
              As long as it was a liquid nitrogen laser it still qualifies, right?
              No need to spoil her just yet

Comment

• Popeye212
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2018

Where are you putting threadlocker mine was so tight seemed like a waste.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

A small dab for the castle nut, a little bit on the MB threads, and the gas block setscrews. Most times I also do some on the scope rings. Loktite blue all round. (Never use Rocksett!!). The barrel nut/barrel/receiver yeah, is pretty tight, for now I'm leaving that alone.

Comment

• Pootyng
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2018

Comment

• Pootyng
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2018

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Haven't done any chrony yet... that will come soon however.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Range trip tonight for my new 20" Ballistic Adv barrel, and first chrono results using my Mgtospd.
                          This is an indoor 100 yd range, not too many shooters tonight so lots of time and I brought several sample sets along.

Hornady brass and most handloads have cci450 primers. All MV-sets were 4 shots.
                          The handloads are all ones I have on hand or ones I know work well in one or 2 of my current Grendels.
                          It's always nice to find a handload that works for more than 1 rifle!

1. 123 SST w/ AR Comp, 28.4 gr, (this one has 205M primers). 2504, sd=4
                          2. 123 SST w/ AR Comp, 28.2 grs, cci450's, 2514, sd=4.
                          3. 110 Control Chaos w/ XBR 29.8, 2659, sd=4.
                          4. Factory 123 SST, 2505, sd=5.
                          5. Factory Hdy Black, 2511, sd=5.
                          6. Hdy AG123, 2428, sd=7
                          7. Fed AE-90 TNT, 2891, sd=11
                          8. 107SMK's w/ H335, 29.4 grs, 2676, sd=16.

This barrel is fast -- actually faster than I was expecting!
                          But I'm not complaining. Total count now ~80 rounds downrange.

Finally I shot one 3-set of Hdy Black for group size, since this is supposed to be a sub-MOA barrel.....

0.236"!!! (1" squares in the pic)
                          'Course then I got all flustered and shot the next group at 1.1"....

65-20BA-090518.jpg

Comment

• kcb38
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                            'Course then I got all flustered and shot the next group at 1.1"...
                            And that 1.1" group looked huge before you measured it, I'm sure. Hate when that happens. Shoot a nice tight group like that and then the wheels come off. Very frustrating. But hey that group you posted is excellent. I hope that once I get back to my rifle with the 20" BA I start seeing groups like that.
                            - Kirk -

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                              Range trip tonight for my new 20" Ballistic Adv barrel, and first chrono results using my Mgtospd.
                              This is an indoor 100 yd range, not too many shooters tonight so lots of time and I brought several sample sets along.

Hornady brass and most handloads have cci450 primers. All MV-sets were 4 shots.
                              The handloads are all ones I have on hand or ones I know work well in one or 2 of my current Grendels.
                              It's always nice to find a handload that works for more than 1 rifle!

1. 123 SST w/ AR Comp, 28.4 gr, (this one has 205M primers). 2504, sd=4
                              2. 123 SST w/ AR Comp, 28.2 grs, cci450's, 2514, sd=4.
                              3. 110 Control Chaos w/ XBR 29.8, 2659, sd=4.
                              4. Factory 123 SST, 2505, sd=5.
                              5. Factory Hdy Black, 2511, sd=5.
                              6. Hdy AG123, 2428, sd=7
                              7. Fed AE-90 TNT, 2891, sd=11
                              8. 107SMK's w/ H335, 29.4 grs, 2676, sd=16.

This barrel is fast -- actually faster than I was expecting!
                              But I'm not complaining. Total count now ~80 rounds downrange.

Finally I shot one 3-set of Hdy Black for group size, since this is supposed to be a sub-MOA barrel.....

0.236"!!! (1" squares in the pic)
                              'Course then I got all flustered and shot the next group at 1.1"....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12659[/ATTACH]
                              Beautiful. I like BA barrels as well.
                              I have a 20", 18" and 12.5". All Grendels.

Comment

Working...
                              X