• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dead Center Miss
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

Muzzle devices

Are you guys just using 308 muzzle devices (flash hiders, comps/brakes) or are you finding and using 6.5?

The radical arms upper I am using has a rather large hole in the brake and got me wondering. I need to get something (probably just a flash hider) for the other 16" upper I have.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Their are 6.5 specific muzzle devices.

Alexander arms has some as well but they are 9/16x24 thread pitch which you probably don't have.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I use both, mostly the 6.5 class now, as in the VG6-gamma 6.5.
      All brakes are over-bored for their calibers btw, usually about 30-40 thou over diameter IIRC.
      A study by the PRS blog discussed the difference in 6.5 vs 308 (7.62) for a 6.5 device, and the upshot is that there is only about 1% reduction in effectiveness. This is b/c the gasses behave in a choked flow manner through the brake hole so you don't lose as much effectiveness as you would think.
      We had some choke flow phenomena in some of our (nuclear industry) accident analyses when examining break flows through a break or defect in a pipe with high-pressure/high temperature water in it, thus the rate of mass loss was not as high as previously estimated.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

I just bought my first VG6 Epsilon 65 muzzle brake and a .308 bullet will not fit through the bore.

I have to be careful not to install it on a 308 or I may end up with an Elmer Fudd muzzle brake.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
          Their are 6.5 specific muzzle devices.

Alexander arms has some as well but they are 9/16x24 thread pitch which you probably don't have.
          Actually,I think the 16" upper is 9/16"

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
            Warrior
            • Sep 2018

I'll have to check the inner diameter of the radical muzzle brake, but it looks like a 35 caliber bullet would drop clean through it lol

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

After seeing the comparison done on the PRS blog I went with a 308 brake simple because it also won several brake shootoffs as well.

Other then the flash hider on my AA barrel that is 9/16x24 the m4-72 severe duty is the only brake I use and the 16 inch will end up with one as well sooner or later.

Terrific brake but man is it load and a heck of a concussion wave.

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

A5, the m4-72 is exactly as you say!!! I tried it and couldn't really take it for 20" or under barrels...

For these shorter ones, try the VG6-6.5 gamma, you'll be happy at how well it does and no back-wash flow, especially on the 16-18er's. Nice compact little package too.

For longer bbls, there's also the APA little B* brake... I use a couple of those too, they don't have the m4-72 back-wash issue either.

Comment

• muvef
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2017

Granite Ridge Outfitters did have VG6 on sale. I would check there.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                    A5, the m4-72 is exactly as you say!!! I tried it and couldn't really take it for 20" or under barrels...

For these shorter ones, try the VG6-6.5 gamma, you'll be happy at how well it does and no back-wash flow, especially on the 16-18er's. Nice compact little package too.

For longer bbls, there's also the APA little B* brake... I use a couple of those too, they don't have the m4-72 back-wash issue either.
                    It doest bother me at all as far as the concussion I never feel it, it's the guy next to me at the range that does lmao.

As far as the sound level I wear ear pro at all times even while hunting.

Comment

• Pootyng
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2018

I would also check bkingsfirearms.com he runs good deals on ar stuff

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                        It doest bother me at all as far as the concussion I never feel it, it's the guy next to me at the range that does lmao.

As far as the sound level I wear ear pro at all times even while hunting.
                        For me it waen't so much a concussion feeling, rather more like a backwash-whoosh effect to the face. Just didn't really appeal to me, is all. They were kind enough to take it as a return, so thumbs up to them.

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2018

Checked the inner diameter of the brake that came on the Radical upper. .370"

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Dead Center Miss View Post
                            Checked the inner diameter of the brake that came on the Radical upper. .370"
                            I have a Radical Firearms 24" barrel I bought from a member here with the same looking muzzle brake.
                            I did not find any noticeable recoil reduction with vs. without but there was a noticeable increase in muzzle blast with.
                            I will try the VG6 Epsilon soon and see if there is a reduction without too much blast.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                              For me it waen't so much a concussion feeling, rather more like a backwash-whoosh effect to the face. Just didn't really appeal to me, is all. They were kind enough to take it as a return, so thumbs up to them.
                              That's strange I don't feel anything coming back toward me with mine.

I wonder if one of the ports on yours wasn't cut correctly or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X