Super ultra light and ultra precise 20" 6.5G barrel :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Super ultra light and ultra precise 20" 6.5G barrel :)

Yes, that is what im looking for some of next builds. It must be ULTRA light, but also Match quality...and at the same time the one which forgives me magdumps and doesnt loose precision cuz of that.

too much to ask? what would be recommendations?
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Can't have both. Mag dumps create heat, which even the thickest barrel will start to drift.

Your best bet is a Proof Research CF barrel, but I don't know that I would mag dump with an $800 barrel.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

My first thought was JP with thermal dissipator but they only offer 18” or 22”. My other option would be LaRue ultimate upper. I’m not sure there is a barrel capable of what you want. Life can be full of compromises.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-28-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Bobke
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

Comment

• R2BRO
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

ok, if i drop the "magdump" requirement. and need following:

1) ultralight
          2) ultra precise

what else can i get? 22" is also OK for me (not less than 20")
          any more options?

Comment

• Bobke
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

Last edited by Bobke; 09-28-2018, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

I have not shot either, but Stonehenge did have both, and swore his Proof CF cooled faster than the JP. Either way, then it's a weight issue for the OP.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• centerfire
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

I have a CF Proof barrel and it is not a lightweight barrel. A pencil barrel will weigh less.

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Huh. I would have thought the CF would drastically reduce the weight.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• centerfire
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                    Huh. I would have thought the CF would drastically reduce the weight.
                    It does. The Proof CF barrel weighs less than a steel barrel of the same profile. It's a bull barrel profile though.

Comment

• Swampfox
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2018

I will say a heavier gun stabilizes better than a lite gun. To put in perspective the military’s accuracy went down when they changed from the M1 Grand (a great rifle) to the M16. Also bench guns are heavy for this reason. You never stated what you wanted the gun for hunting that you will be carrying I agree ultra lite.

Comment

• R2BRO
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

well i want the gun which i can realistically carry during many hours AND a very accurate one.

when you say "heavier gun stabilizes better", do you mean a case when fast repetitive shots are made?
                        What if i fire with 2-3 second interval? do i really need to care about stabilization then? for single shots...?

Comment

• Swampfox
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
                          well i want the gun which i can realistically carry during many hours AND a very accurate one.

when you say "heavier gun stabilizes better", do you mean a case when fast repetitive shots are made?
                          What if i fire with 2-3 second interval? do i really need to care about stabilization then? for single shots...?
                          When I talk about a heavier gun stabilizes better when you put a gun to your shoulder a heavier gun will not move as much as a lite gun so inherently heavier guns are more accurate. Try it you will see it for your self. Also look at Competition shooters all their guns are heavy for this reason. Now with being able to carry for many hrs a lite/ultra lite gun would be your best bet. Carbon Fiber as has be stated before will be your best bet.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

First off forget the mag dumps.

Plan a budget of 2000 or more dollars and only buy the most light weight of parts there is on the market.

Don't add anything to the rifle you don't need to meaning if it don't hold the gun together or used to hold it in your hands while carrying it are shooting it don't put it on it.

Then buy the most top shelf custom barrel know to produce the smallest groups, then send it to adco and have them take it down to .630 profile over every each of the barrel they will do.

Then build it put it in the safe and safe up anouther 2000 bucks to buy the lightest weight titanuim scope mount they make and the lightest weight scope with the power range you want to use.

Then only carry a 5 round make loaded with handloads that have been dialed into competition level accuracy wise.

And BA bammm you will have the lightest weight most accurate ar grendel anyone has anywhere's, great for packing all day and will kill whatever you point it at.

But be ready to only print those tiny groups if you fire 1 round bout every 3 mints because if you don't by the second round the barrel will have heated up enough to drift a good ways off your zero.

Sorry if that comes off a bit smart buttish.

You can't have super light weight and that long of a barrel and hope to achieve what your wanting.

Now build it to come in at around 8 to 9 pounds with a nice thick stiff upper and good quality parts through out and you get a rifle that will be steadier in hand when fired and keeps that accuracy throw more rounds before barrel heat shifts point of impact from your zero.

It's really not that bad to pack a 8 to 9 pound rifle hunting for several hours, I do it every year and some of my walks are close to 3 miles back, so that's 6 miles round trip.

Also to note a shorter thicker profile barrel that has been fluted will be lighter in weight and stiffer then the same profile 20 inch barrel and will tend to hold a lil better group as well.

So in theory you can drop down to a 16 inch profiled like the AA lite that I have and still shoot as tight or tighter groups as my 20 group buy makes but be much lighter in weight and a lil more compact for busting the brush for bambi.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• R2BRO
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

hmm okay... i get it, i dont want that mega madness, just precise and light reasonable enough, and yeah 8-9lbs is ok... well... my current grendel build with BCA 20" straight fluted weighs 11.5 lbs together with Vortex Strike eagle scope... thats a bit heavy...

Comment

Working...
                              X