• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arkhangel5
    Warrior
    • Apr 2016

Monster 12in build

My pistol build with Monster group buy 12".

Testing this weekend

IMG_20181019_203853897.jpg

Build list:
    Monster 12" Barrel Thx BFT!
    Aero Precision Upper
    Spikes Tactical Lower
    PSA pistol MOE EPT build kit w/ Shockwave brace
    9" Matrix Handguard
    Odin Works 6.5g BCG
    Standard birdcage flash suppressor

Weighs around 5.5lbs w/o optics

Plan for this weekend is function check, break in. Will be using Hornady 123 SSt and 123 Black.

Optic will be a 3-12x in Pepr mount to test for accuracy and then will be swapped out for a red dot sight.

SY
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Looks really good, let us know how it shoots!

Comment

• Swampfox
      Warrior
      • Sep 2018

Should be a fun one to shoot

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Very nice. You will love it. It's going to be loud. My 12" is my favorite gun to shoot. Can't wait for your range report.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I shot my 12” 6.5 Grendel yesterday evening and again today. I used foam earplugs and my Peltors most of the time but my Friend and I shot it today and I was only wearing my Peltor ear muffs. The noise and blast didn’t seem much different than my 16”. Both 12” and 16” have A-2 flash hiders and there wasn’t much noticeable flash last night at dusk. So far I really like my 12” 6.5 Grendel.

I’ve shot a PLR-16 short barrel 5.56/223 and the blast and noise on it was a lot worse than my 12” 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
            Warrior
            • Apr 2016

Well it shot good. Function tested fine with 25 rounds down the pipe.

Brass ejected at 3:00, bolts locks back on last round. No misfeeds with ASC 5 round mag.

Not overly loud, but started out shooting my braked 300WM so it was relative.

Last 5 rounds were Hornady 123 Black, grouped right around 1 moa. I will take that for now.

Shooting this configuration off a bipod will take some getting used to with the short shoulder. It is almost as if you are curled up around the gun to fire it, as short as it is.

Overall very pleased with how this pistol build turned out.

SY
            Last edited by Arkhangel5; 10-22-2018, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Thanks for the update, good to hear the Group Buy barrel is gtg!
              Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-25-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                I shot my 12” 6.5 Grendel yesterday evening and again today. I used foam earplugs and my Peltors most of the time but my Friend and I shot it today and I was only wearing my Peltor ear muffs. The noise and blast didn’t seem much different than my 16”. Both 12” and 16” have A-2 flash hiders and there wasn’t much noticeable flash last night at dusk. So far I really like my 12” 6.5 Grendel.

I’ve shot a PLR-16 short barrel 5.56/223 and the blast and noise on it was a lot worse than my 12” 6.5 Grendel.
                I noticed that too with my 12" and a TBAC Flash Hider/Suppressor Attach mount. I really can't tell much difference between it and 16-18" Grendel muzzle blast, and suppressed is the same way from shooter's ear for me with the TBAC Ultra 5.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

Maybe it's the tbac muzzle break compared to the millennium compensator but my 12" seems significantly louder then my 16". Or maybe it's just me.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Yeah, the TBAC brakes are very loud. That's why I ordered some TBAC flash hiders and brakes.

I'll only install the brakes on longer barrels, and FH on short barrels.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2016

Went out and tested build again today. No issues.

Shot a mix of handloads and factory ammo. Also got Labradar chrono data, which I did not do on first test.

Shot both 123gr match bullets and 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips today. My 123 handloads were doing 2230fps, normally 2465fps out of my 18in Grendel.

The Ballistic Tips, were running around the same velocity and POI as the 123's. All handloads were with virgin Lapua brass, IMR8208, and CCI BR primers.

Shot 2 factory SST's at 2280fps, normally 2490fps.

Round count just passed 50 in this build, no malfunctions, accuracy is acceptable.

SY

Comment

Working...
                      X