How do you bed a barrel to the upper receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

If I may, I believe what is being referred to is the balance of two masses on either side of a fulcrum. The barrel represents one of of the masses. The receiver, buttstock and scope form the other mass. The two masses meet at the fulcrum (the extension and upper receiver). At rest, a certain (minor) amount of torque applied to the barrel nut is necessary to overcome the two masses and bring them to equilibrium at the fulcrum. A properly trued and faced setup will then possess nearly 100% contact at the fulcrum, with nearly 100% parallel components.

Now, add to that, the function of a harmonic inducing shock (the weapon firing). These shock waves cause the barrel mass to flex and whip, which induces angular torque at the fulcrum. If the barrel nut is sufficiently tightened, it will prevent the shock induced waves from causing the two masses to move at the fulcrum, thus reducing the effects of harmonic torque on accuracy.

What can be counter-intuitive is that the lighter profile barrels tend to require the barrel nut to be tightened to a higher torque value. This is due to the nature of harmonic shocks. The lighter barrels can whip more at the muzzle end than the heavier profiles. This is because the thinner, lesser mass (pencil barrel) moves a greater distance when a given shock impulse is applied than would a thicker, heavier mass (bull barrel). This greater motion at the muzzle end of the mass translates to greater torque being applied at the fulcrum. To overcome this greater (albeit momentary) torque, the barrel nut must be tightened to a higher value to prevent motion.

In other words, light whippy barrels need to be tightened to a higher torque value than heavier, stiffer ones. The Barrel Nut is the component at the fulcrum which determines how much torque is coupled between the two masses, and how the shock waves are affected.

There are two ways to tune the system, with respect to system harmonics. You can try to mitigate their effects by dampening them (stiffer, heavier, bedding, etc.). Or you can try to tune them (shift the frequency) so that a given load (bullet, transit time, barrel length) all coincide to produce consistent, accurate exit alignments at the muzzle.

As this applies to the Barrel nut, (the one common knob we can all turn without adding anything new), finding the correct torque is the most direct way to minimize harmonics as a variable to the accuracy equation.

What is the correct torque? That is where some of the barrel manufacturers and upper manufacturers should come in. Most don't bother and go with what's been out there for decades. Others actually try and come up with some useful numbers specific to their own product. This can explain the different barrel nut torques being reported in the wild.

Hope this helps or, at the very least, doesn't muddy up the water.

ETA: My post does not address the portion of LRRPF52's mention of the muzzle devices or scope rings, but I think that the idea of resonance and torque coupling applies to them, as well.
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 01-06-2019, 03:47 PM. Reason: Further muddying.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bob4432 View Post
      Mind expounding on this theory or give a reputable link that explains it?

Thanks in advance,
      Bib

Comment

• Bazinga
        Bloodstained
        • May 2018

Retaining compound is what I have used. Loctite 620 equivalent i believe. Have to look a the exact brand tonight.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bob4432 View Post
          Mind expounding on this theory or give a reputable link that explains it?

Thanks in advance,
          Bib
          You'll have to bear with me since the way I learned to look at the world was from an aviation perspective when I was growing up. My parents (mainly my dad) worked on many different cutting edge military aerospace programs, and my dad would come home from working on those things to then pursue his real passion with theoretical physics.

He would often explain some of the challenges they faced, or other programs faced, from a physics perspective when I would ask questions as a curious child. This often included explanations of video footage detailing things that had gone wrong in test flights, aerodynamic behavior of different designs, stresses, torsional loads, oscillations, vibrations, and the engineering solutions to those problems.

Things like buffeting seemed to always be a problem with airframes and missiles, where a certain resonant frequency in the buffeting would amplify itself at different speeds and flight regimes. They would have to re-design critical structures and shapes of the airframe and airfoil to deal with these problems, and you can see evolutions of specific structures on popular fighter aircraft if you were paying attention.

Anyway, some of the same principles apply to firearms when chasing accuracy, only instead of aerodynamic forces acting on the rifle, we're looking at the shockwave propagating from the detonation or explosive conflagration of the propellant acting on the chamber and barrel, and everything attached to that barrel.

Here's a great video that illustrates the various phenomena much better:

Go to 2:16 and watch the red colored gas block especially
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• FW Conch
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

With all that going on it's a wonder we can hit anything. I guess the pill is out of the muzzle before most of that happens?

Comment

Working...
            X