Hunting - Faxon 18" Gunner Lightweight (7lb 1oz) WITH Optic... build in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NeilVT79
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Jinkx View Post
    Just need BCG, handguard, scope and mount. Meh basically another $G lol
    Jinx, have you thought about going with a lowmass BCG? Good way to shave oz's. With an adjustable gas system a good muzzle break and an enhanced buffer spring you can lighten your buffer also.

Comment

• Jinkx
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by NeilVT79 View Post
      Jinx, have you thought about going with a lowmass BCG? Good way to shave oz's. With an adjustable gas system a good muzzle break and an enhanced buffer spring you can lighten your buffer also.
      I have!!! Faxon has a killer lightweight bcg.

I already have a H1 spikes buffer and flat spring.. Thats about as light as it gets from my homework?

Really the only reasons I have not done the low mass BCG is cost and I have not seen much evidence of use in grendel. They are not cheap either and would put me over 2k if not right at it.

Adjustable gas blocks are heavy and pricey. I dont currently have a suppressor but that may change later in life.. So an ajustable gas block may just eventually finds its way on here lol.

I would be curious if anyone here runs a lightweight BCG. I would be willing to consider perhaps.

Comment

• NeilVT79
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2018

I've been thinking about an ultra light grendel for a while.

A few years ago I built an ultra light 5.56 ar that is 76oz. Unloaded with a micro dot. That build cost about 1k.

I used a taccom "buffer" that is only 1.1 oz
        Designed for Carbine length buffer systems and works with standard and lightweight steel bolt carrier groups to help reduce the primary recoil of the weapon. This system requires an adjustable gas system. Failure to follow the above criteria may result in poor operation or DAMAGE TO YOUR PLATFORM. Although some customers have used our recoil system with aluminum and

And this lowmass bolt carrier at 6.9oz that uses an adjustable gas key. Ive used adj gas blocks too and its pretty much the same idea just making the adjustments from different ends.

RCA Patent Pending Adjustable Gas Key has been added to the Low Mass carrier for maximum customization of your gas system and competition rifle. Low Mass Carrier Only W/ RCA gas key staked. Weighs 6.9 ounces w/ key and screws Includes: Directions, 3 1/8 screws and 2 3/16 set screws and wrench included to make

That rca carrier is pretty inexpensive for what youre getting. And that whole system makes the gun recoil like a 22lr.

Now I havent tried it on the grendel, however, I believe with the gas dialed down enough it would work great. I may turn my 16" grendel into a Guinea pig and see how it works.
        Last edited by NeilVT79; 12-11-2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Jinkx
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2018

I've been thinking about an ultra light grendel for a while.

A few years ago I built an ultra light 5.56 ar that is 76oz. Unloaded with a micro dot. That build cost about 1k.

I used a taccom "buffer" that is only 1.1 oz
          Designed for Carbine length buffer systems and works with standard and lightweight steel bolt carrier groups to help reduce the primary recoil of the weapon. This system requires an adjustable gas system. Failure to follow the above criteria may result in poor operation or DAMAGE TO YOUR PLATFORM. Although some customers have used our recoil system with aluminum and

And this lowmass bolt carrier at 6.9oz that uses an adjustable gas key. Ive used adj gas blocks too and its pretty much the same idea just making the adjustments from different ends.

RCA Patent Pending Adjustable Gas Key has been added to the Low Mass carrier for maximum customization of your gas system and competition rifle. Low Mass Carrier Only W/ RCA gas key staked. Weighs 6.9 ounces w/ key and screws Includes: Directions, 3 1/8 screws and 2 3/16 set screws and wrench included to make

That rca carrier is pretty inexpensive for what youre getting. And that whole system makes the gun recoil like a 22lr.

Now I havent tried it on the grendel, however, I believe with the gas dialed down enough it would work great. I may turn my 16" grendel into a Guinea pig and see how it works.
          Really cool info. I REALLY DIG that adjustable BCG. I would be very interested to know how it works on your grendel in an experiment. Please let us know if you get a chance to try.

Comment

• NeilVT79
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Jinkx View Post
            Really cool info. I REALLY DIG that adjustable BCG. I would be very interested to know how it works on your grendel in an experiment. Please let us know if you get a chance to try.
            Sure thing, I'll swap some parts and do some testing with it next range trip. The idea has been buzzing around in my head anyway.

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

A few things......

Faxon does not offer the 6.5 bolt option with their low mass carrier. When i called to ask for it they said they do not recommend their low mass bcg be used with a 6.5 grendal based on their testing.

Adjustable gas blocks are not expensive or heavy at all. Not sure where you got this information. Agbs can be found as cheap as $40. My middle of the road price wise superlative arms was $80.

Lrrp uses the adjustable bcg i think bootleg brand and has promoted very good results.

As far as lightweight carriers, i run suppressed using a jpscs h2 buffer and jp told me not to use a lightweight carrier, even with adjustable gas.

My ar is at 5.1 pounds without optic and suppressor and 7.2 with optic suppressor and empty 5 round mag. Plenty of places to cut weight with barrel, handguard, and stock.
              Last edited by Bigs28; 12-11-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• NeilVT79
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2018

Jinx, did you ever finish your lightweight build?

I was at the range yesterday tested my RCA low mass bolt carrier with RCA's adjustable gas key in my 16" CLGS doublestar barreled upper with A2 flash hider. Shooting off a bench with a bag under handgaurd.
                For the first test I ran my taccom 1oz buffer with the gas adjusted to just barely catch bolt on empty mag. Ran 60 rounds wolf no failures, recoil impulse was fast and snappy but also light with easily controllable muzzle rise. steel cases were flying about 10+ feet at 4oclock.
                Next I ran the same test with a normal carbine buffer ~3oz, had to adjust the gas more. Ran 60 rounds of wolf again, no failures. Recoil impulse seemed slower and pushy with slightly more muzzle rise. steel was still ejecting in same pattern.
                Last I ran with my normal full mass BCG with the carbine buffer and full gas. Ran 60 rounds of wolf with no failures. Recoil impulse was a harder push with noticeably more muzzle rise. Ejection was about 3-4 feet at 4 oclock.

In my opinion the low mass carrier runs fine with 6.5 grendel and absolutely makes it feel different. If I had a muzzle break on the front the muzzle rise would be non existent. If anyone tries the taccom buffer I would warn you to make sure the gas is way down before starting or you could damage the carrier or receiver extension.

Comment

• Jinkx
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2018

I was at the range yesterday tested my RCA low mass bolt carrier with RCA's adjustable gas key in my 16" CLGS doublestar barreled upper with A2 flash hider. Shooting off a bench with a bag under handgaurd.
                  For the first test I ran my taccom 1oz buffer with the gas adjusted to just barely catch bolt on empty mag. Ran 60 rounds wolf no failures, recoil impulse was fast and snappy but also light with easily controllable muzzle rise. steel cases were flying about 10+ feet at 4oclock.
                  Next I ran the same test with a normal carbine buffer ~3oz, had to adjust the gas more. Ran 60 rounds of wolf again, no failures. Recoil impulse seemed slower and pushy with slightly more muzzle rise. steel was still ejecting in same pattern.
                  Last I ran with my normal full mass BCG with the carbine buffer and full gas. Ran 60 rounds of wolf with no failures. Recoil impulse was a harder push with noticeably more muzzle rise. Ejection was about 3-4 feet at 4 oclock.

In my opinion the low mass carrier runs fine with 6.5 grendel and absolutely makes it feel different. If I had a muzzle break on the front the muzzle rise would be non existent. If anyone tries the taccom buffer I would warn you to make sure the gas is way down before starting or you could damage the carrier or receiver extension.
                  Fan-Freaking-Tastic!!!

Excellent info!!!!!

My build is still in process due to limited funding. I just ordered (last week) a Faxon grendel BCG and awaiting its arrival.

I only have the optic and mount, mid length gas tube (always out of stock lately everywhere I look) and a few other minor items to go before I start updating with build pics

I also almost have everything needed to begin handload work ups when the time comes. Just need a grendel case gauge. Decided on 8208XBR and hornady brass. More to come on this front for sure.

Looks like your BCG may also get ordered for me to experiment with!! Full mass BCG's do add significant Oz's

Comment

• Jinkx
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2018

I would be interested (and others as well) on results with brass based ammo as wolf is known to be underpowered.

Comment

• Jinkx
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                      A few things......

Faxon does not offer the 6.5 bolt option with their low mass carrier. When i called to ask for it they said they do not recommend their low mass bcg be used with a 6.5 grendal based on their testing.

Adjustable gas blocks are not expensive or heavy at all. Not sure where you got this information. Agbs can be found as cheap as $40. My middle of the road price wise superlative arms was $80.

Lrrp uses the adjustable bcg i think bootleg brand and has promoted very good results.

As far as lightweight carriers, i run suppressed using a jpscs h2 buffer and jp told me not to use a lightweight carrier, even with adjustable gas.

My ar is at 5.1 pounds without optic and suppressor and 7.2 with optic suppressor and empty 5 round mag. Plenty of places to cut weight with barrel, handguard, and stock.
                      I was referring to in direct comparison to normal lightweight gas blocks. The cost is twice to 4 times the cost and similar weight ratios. I was eye balling the superlative arms GB, it looks very nice!!! I may end up putting it on there anyways

Excellent info on the JP silent capture spring setup!! I have been tempted with that Apple as well. I have found very little lightweight lithium axel grease quiets my buffer springs down quite a bit which has been buying me time until I get a jpscs.

Comment

• NOLAGT
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2017

Thanks for posting this. I just got a Titanium 2A armament Regulated BCG for my @a 300blk pistol (5.9oz total with bolt) and I was wondering if I could swap in a 6.5 bolt and run that on a LW build. I knew Faxon said not to use theres...I jsut sent a email to 2a asking. I just got a PSA 12" grendel to play with the caliber but i might try to build a lite hunting rig and would like it to be a soft shooter for possible follow up pig shots.

EDIT: 2A told me that I could swap on a 6.5 bolt and run there Ti regulated BCG in the Grendel.
                        Last edited by NOLAGT; 01-18-2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by NOLAGT View Post
                          Thanks for posting this. I just got a Titanium 2A armament Regulated BCG for my @a 300blk pistol (5.9oz total with bolt) and I was wondering if I could swap in a 6.5 bolt and run that on a LW build. I knew Faxon said not to use theres...I jsut sent a email to 2a asking. I just got a PSA 12" grendel to play with the caliber but i might try to build a lite hunting rig and would like it to be a soft shooter for possible follow up pig shots.

EDIT: 2A told me that I could swap on a 6.5 bolt and run there Ti regulated BCG in the Grendel.
                          Hopefully it runs well. But sometimes just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be. Everything I've seen seems to think it's not the greatest idea. But, nothing you can't try out? I don't reckon it'll break anything.

Comment

• Jinkx
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2018

Quick update. I just ordered the final peices minus optic to FINALLY assemble this. Will post pics and assembled weight soon!!

Comment

• Jinkx
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2018

Right after ordering the handguard from Midwest Indistries.... Primary Arms sent an email out announcing they had a 12.0" MI handguard on sale for $149... That only weighs 8.2 oz. The handguard I just ordered is 12 3/8" and is 8.7 oz and was $189.... Sigh. Oh well LOL!!!

Comment

• Lastrites
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2017

Your not alone with being the only one with that type of luck, your in good company!

Comment

Working...
                                X