Which 20MOA scope mount for my 20" DMR 6.5G setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Which 20MOA scope mount for my 20" DMR 6.5G setup?

I have newly purchased Viper PST3-15 GEN II 30mm tube scope.

So right now I have a mount from Nikon 20MOA which i bought from a store for around $80.
    I wonder if I did a wrong purchase for the mount?
    So far, I don't see my zero move or anything like that. I mean, it just works...

Some people say anything sucks unless it is Geissele Mount for ridiculous $280 or whatever the retarded price it is.

The Viper PST is not a 7075 material body...why would it need an overkill scope mount...? I mean if you fucked up rifle during combat in such a way that the scope is destroyed...the fact that mount survived doesnt do any good.

My question is, should I continue with the mount I have? Or should I get better one?
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

If it works, I'd say it doesn't suck. Get a 'better' one if you want, just don't do it because you think you have to.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

If the one you have is holding tight and doing it's job. Why would you waist money to replace it with a higher priced part?

Good rule of thumb, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

I gifted one of those mounts after using it for a year or two, it did ok but you really have to pay attention to details when mounting it as it tends to move around bit with its dual clamp construction. Later I traded into a new DNZ for about the same money and have no regrets.

Comment

• MarkS
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by R2BRO View Post
          I have newly purchased Viper PST3-15 GEN II 30mm tube scope.

So right now I have a mount from Nikon 20MOA which i bought from a store for around $80.
          I wonder if I did a wrong purchase for the mount?
          So far, I don't see my zero move or anything like that. I mean, it just works...

Some people say anything sucks unless it is Geissele Mount for ridiculous $280 or whatever the retarded price it is.

The Viper PST is not a 7075 material body...why would it need an overkill scope mount...? I mean if you fucked up rifle during combat in such a way that the scope is destroyed...the fact that mount survived doesnt do any good.

My question is, should I continue with the mount I have? Or should I get better one?
          I have the one-piece Nikon 20 MOA mount and it is working just fine for me. If it works for you, then don't fix what isn't broken.

Comment

• SDW
            Warrior
            • Jul 2018

Kinda curious, how far out have you shot up 'til now, and how far out do you think you'll be shooting, at the most? I'm just kinda wondering if you will be needing a 20 MOA mount with your Grendel. I'm very new to long range shooting myself, but I have shot out to 1000 yds with some success using my Grendel. It's a 20" DMR barrel from Ballistic Advantage. My mount's a basic Larue SPR QD, and the scope is an SWFA 10x (30mm of course). After zeroing my rifle at 100 yds I had no trouble dialing up the elevation as necessary to hit a target at 1000 yds. I don't recall how much more elevation I had on the turret exactly, but it was a bid. (I should probably try cranking it up all the way to see how much I had left.)
            Last edited by SDW; 12-21-2018, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

The SWFA 10 power has 100 MOA of elevation whereas it is not uncommon for many scopes to have 50 to 70 MOA adjustment. As an example my Leupold Mark AR 3-9-40 scope runs out of elevation adjustment around 700 yards at 450’ ASL in a 0 cant mount. With a 20 MOA mount I have enough elevation to get passed 1000 yards even at sea level.

At higher elevation you might not need a canted mount but you really need to check the ballistics of your ammo in relation to elevation and how much elevation your scope has. With that info you can decide if you need a 20 MOA mount. I have bought several 20 MOA mounts because the price was the same as 0 cant mount and I’ve had no problem zeroing my rifles.

Comment

• SDW
                Warrior
                • Jul 2018

Ah yes. Good points. As I said, I'm kinda new to this longer range stuff. Before I built the Grendel upper I had nothing I would seriously consider for long range target shooting. So if I had a 'smaller' scope, adjustment wise, then it would make sense to give myself a 20 MOA handicap. Larue makes them as well of course. Pricey though.

Comment

• Lastrites
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

The mount below was the 20moa verision I spoke of and it's base is 3 pieces.
                  Shop the latest mirrorless & DSLR cameras and NIKKOR lenses from the official Nikon eCommerce site. Explore our innovations and photo equipment!

Now if you have this one, it isn't a 20moa mount.
                  Shop the latest mirrorless & DSLR cameras and NIKKOR lenses from the official Nikon eCommerce site. Explore our innovations and photo equipment!

Either way there are other offerings that are likely far superior for not much more money and should be considered.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

For the price I really like the Warne 20 MOA one piece mount.
                    Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-24-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• easterneag
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2014

+1 on the Warren

Comment

• Redomen
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

I use a Warn and it does fine. Good price point as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X