• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrimeReaper
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2018

Dang why am I so indecisive?

I'm going to build an 18" deer hunting rig with the rifle gas Monster barrel and a scope. Thats for sure. At first I wanted to kind of scratch an itch and use the A2 configuration. But since it's going to have a scope, I decided on a flat-top. Also trying to save as much on the build I was going to use a flat top railed gas block w no pinning instead of a pinned front sight post. Well now I've decided since this IS a Grendel just use a M lok free float handguard and a low pro gas block for the better accuacy instead of an A2 handguard.
    Well dang now that brings me to the butt stock. I was thinking I would use the Cavalry A1 shorter length fixed buttstock. With it I would also have the "advantages" of using the rifle length buffer. But now I'm wondering how comfortable I would be with a heavy hunting coat and the fixed stock. I often run my other AR with the Magpul ACS-L stock on just the second or third click when I'm hunting. On that rifle I do use the longer A5 buffer system and it's been nothing but reliable. So now I am kind of considering just dropping the SPR-ish look I would still have using the fixed buttstock and just going all practical with a sliding buttstock. I guess I'll just have build a real retro rifle after I get done with the Grendel!
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

I hate to throw more confusion at you, but since it's a hunting rifle why don't you build a bolt gun off of a barreled action Then build a retro gun, then build a 12" pistol Grendel, then build a....
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• GrimeReaper
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2018

Nah, gonna stay with the AR15 platform. Lol one thing I am sure of! I think I am going to stay with / try the fixed stock. Then build an A1 .22lr upper to play with.

Comment

• Glockpride
        Warrior
        • Sep 2018

Just get an 18” however you want it. Or a 20”. Or a bolt gun. Or smooth handguards with rails and an adjustable gas block for the future suppressor. Or a 1-6x optic or 4-12x or a 5-25x.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

The lowers and uppers are swappable. Have a traditional lower for a retro look and a collapsible stock lower for hunting.
          Pretend like you're playing with Legos.

Comment

• GrimeReaper
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2018

LOL, in the long run I am. After I get this Grendel built, I am going to build an A1 22LR to share the Grendel lower. Then I'll probably build another lower to live on one of the two.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Indecision comes from so many options, which are practically endless with all the companies making so many different individual component systems for the AR15.

I would focus on your primary intent: a deer hunting rifle

Get a basic 18" upper together and go from there.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Chev2500
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2018

They are heavy but on both my hunting guns ( ar15 in 6.5 GR, ar10 7.62x51) I have the Magpul prs you can find the older gen on sale

Comment

Working...
                X