• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakegsxr11
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Refinish upper receiver

I purchased a bcm blemished upper recently and the complete finish is off plus it has large 4 inch long sections of bare aluminum. Does anyone have any pointers on refinishing this before assembly?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Black spray paint, cheap, quick and easy to touch back up.

Comment

• FRB6.5
      Warrior
      • Oct 2018

Disappointing to hear it was that bad. My BCM blem had one minor scratch that I was perfectly fine with given it was for a carry gun. Krylon is perfectly fine, if want something more durable Brownell's Aluma-hyde is a solid choice.

I'd tape off and or stuff the inside with paper to keep overspray off the teflon coating inside the upper.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

I'm fairly certain there is no Teflon coating inside, it looks and feels like a dirty chalk board. At least I know never to purchase a blem again....i was contemplating getting two, glad I didn't.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Jakegsxr11 View Post
          I'm fairly certain there is no Teflon coating inside, it looks and feels like a dirty chalk board. At least I know never to purchase a blem again....i was contemplating getting two, glad I didn't.
          Prep the upper, tape and spray the inside with Cerakote micro slick. https://www.cerakote.com/finishes/C-...-film-coating/ I coat my bolt carriers with this product too. The outside is personal preference.

Comment

• FRB6.5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by montana View Post
            Prep the upper, tape and spray the inside with Cerakote micro slick. https://www.cerakote.com/finishes/C-...-film-coating/ I coat my bolt carriers with this product too. The outside is personal preference.
            Did not even know this existed. How does it hold up?

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by FRB6.5 View Post
              Did not even know this existed. How does it hold up?
              The micro slick will show wear over time, but the lubricity properties remain. The coating was originally made for engine pistons. https://www.competitionautomotive.co...ngine-coatings If properly prepped, it is a fantastic coating. With the inside of my AR upper and bolt carrier coated with micro slick, plus the JP Custom Buffer Spring and after market trigger, the action feels like it is running on ball bearings. My AR rifles are the smoothest actions I have ever felt on any AR platform.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

I'm not even sure I'm going to use this upper any longer. I also noticed the M4 feed ramps are barely there. My Colt and Vision defense upper ramps are much larger and cleaner. Any how I contacted BCA and they emailed me back very fast asking for pictures. Hopefully they rectify the situation.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2018

Sounds like someone reached into the reject bin Vs. the blem bin.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I'm not even sure I'm going to use this upper any longer. I also noticed the M4 feed ramps are barely there. My Colt and Vision defense upper ramps are much larger and cleaner. Any how I contacted BCA and they emailed me back very fast asking for pictures. Hopefully they rectify the situation.
                    Is it a BCM or BCA upper?

Those are two entirely different companies and would explain some of your problems if it's BCA vs an actual BCM.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

Oh sorry it is BCM, I mistakenly typed BCA. You are correct that is a big difference.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

- just a bit.
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2016

LRM_EXPORT_2238125567474_20190105_170318891.jpeg

Here is what my barrel looks like in the upper. Do you guys think the feed ramps look acceptable? If so I'll probably be able to make this upper work.

Comment

• Sixoeight
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

So it's a Bravo Company Manufacturing upper? That would be quite surprising as I would expect much better even from blems. If it's BCM I would contact them, I am sure that they will make it right.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13485[/ATTACH]

Here is what my barrel looks like in the upper. Do you guys think the feed ramps look acceptable? If so I'll probably be able to make this upper work.
                              Them seem small to me and kind of sharp looking, could always blend and polish them for a few penny's and few mints of work.

Comment

Working...
                              X