• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WSAR15
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2017

Barrel length questions.

I am seeing more and more short 6.5G barrels - 10" or so.
    I am wondering if the 6.5G behaves like the 223 and becomes a very loud dragon breath at each shot.
    The 223 was optimized for powder burn in 20" barrels. What barrel length was the 6.5G round optimized for? It seems that 18"/20"" are well performing.
    Thanks
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Kinda depends on what optimized means to you. The perfect barrel length for me is around 12". It's short, liteweight, shoots sub moa, and lethal out too 300+ for hunting.

Someone else might have different needs.

Comment

• FRB6.5
      Warrior
      • Oct 2018

They are loud to bystanders like any short barrel, but the 12" guns are interesting to say the least.
      Play with the calculator here https://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
      123 gr ELD-M run 2234 fps for me.

R-MIL Rugged 1-824 Shepherd.jpg
      1-8x 100 yard zero and can hold over to 800 with 10 mph wind without dialing, that's kind of exciting for a "pistol".

Comment

• WSAR15
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2017

By optimized I meant the barrel length in which the powder burns out most efficiently before the bullet exits the barrel. The original 55gr 5.56mm by Stoner was 20".

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by WSAR15 View Post
          By optimized I meant the barrel length in which the powder burns out most efficiently before the bullet exits the barrel. The original 55gr 5.56mm by Stoner was 20".
          The powder is burned in both of them within the first few inches.

With the SCHV rifle, a minority in Army Ordnance wanted as fast of a muzzle velocity as they could get in order to defeat a steel helmet with full perforation at 500yds. Powder burn for barrel length was not something they focused on at all. Original prototype rifles had a 22" barrel, which was later shortened to 20".

With 6.5 Grendel, the unsuppressed 12" does not sound that loud to me at all compared to a 16".

I would have to meter it to give exact db, but it's not too bad really, not like a 10.3" 5.56 NATO.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X