• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sniper338
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

6.5 Grendel REBUILD!

So last year I wore out a cheap gas block, it dang near just gummed up, locked up, and was spewing gas from under the block, I started having bad ejection issues and jams left and right...

I bought an SLR adjustable gas block, low and behold it wouldnt fit in the handguard. So I took apart the whole AR, cleaned everything really well, then we moved.

The AR sat around for the last 8 months in pieces. During this time I was researching everything AR and getting back up to date on quality parts, learned how to true up upper receivers, planned on doing that, lots of little ins and outs tricks.

I found one handguard that MIGHT fit with this bull barrel and .936 gas block. When I found this handguard, I found it went with an upper receiver and thats all it would fit. "Shit, now I gotta buy a new upper receiver too, my wifes going to kill me."

Billet vs forged? Whats that? Back to more learning I went.

Ok so I thought, we will upgrade the upper receiver too while Im at it, tighten things up spec wise, its my only choice anyways...

I got it all delivered throughout this last week, and finally was able to put it together this morning. Everything came together and low and behold it all fit and worked out!!! I was so worried about the gas block and handguard, they clear and free float, BARLEY!!

The seekins IRMT-3 V3 upper receiver/match handguard was exactly what I needed. The weaked point on an AR upper is the barrel tennon part of the Upper. Seekins came out with this new innovation of a big strong thick barrel tennon. The barrel goes in, and the barrel nut threads into the tennon vs threading on the outside. This takes all the weight of the heavy barrel and supports it much much better while making it truely free floating. The handguard slips on OVER the tennon never contacting the barrel nut, or barrel. This is a much higher quality set up vs the standard configuration. With the standard configuration and stress on the handguard effects and stresses the barrel and receiver, causing receiver flex. (ESPECIALLY WITH THE BARREL I HAVE).

See video on youtube as explained by seekins precision: search the upper name videio by lowlight.

New build/upgrade is as follows:

6.5 GRENDEL
    Ergo palm swell grip
    Magpul PRS stock
    Geisselie single stage trigger at 5oz
    Stag forged lower
    BOB SLED single shot mag
    JP silent capture H2 buffer
    Phase 5 right handed bolt release
    Extended charging handle
    Les baer bolt carrier and parts
    Les baer bolt
    Triggershim receiver pin shims
    Triggertech upper "U" shaped cnc spacer/shim. (These two different shimstake all the play/gap out of the upper and lower fit, there is no wobble, it is TIGHT fitting, doesnt move, no play).
    Seekins irmt v3 precision upper receiver
    Seekins SP3R 15 inch (flat bottom, flat sides, triangle shaped hand guard makes for monolithic rail look.)
    Seekins 5 slot accessory rail with mounted joypod bipod.

Saturn custom built cut rifle barrel 8.725 twist at 24 inches, .960ish at barrel nut, .936 gas block, down to .920 at muzzle, threaded 5/8x24 tpi.
    American rifle company 1 piece 30 moascope rail and rings, intigrated bubble level
    Sightron S-III 5-25 mil/mil FFP

This barrel has shot 3 inch 5 shot groups perfect waterline at 750 yards, hopefully it will be a bit more consistant now. Only thing I got left is getting a seekins billet lower, and getting a cerakote job done, but, cant afford those two things right now...

I got pictures but its a pain to upload anything here.
    Last edited by Sniper338; 01-03-2019, 07:04 PM.
  • Mad Charlie
    Warrior
    • May 2017

5 oz sounds really light...

Nice build menu.

Comment

Working...
    X