• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old_School
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2018

6.5 Grendel build & results

Just back from the range a few days ago and to say that I'm pleased with my Grendel build would be an understatement. This build started after I picked up a used Sabre Defence 16" Grendel barrel, bolt, gas block, mags, and a couple boxes of Hornady Black ammo for a *very good* price! I have no idea how many rounds had been put through this bbl before I got it, but I know it had at least 2 prior owners.

Went shopping for other components last summer and ended up with an Aero upper receiver and a Seekins NOXs MLok freefloat handguard. Needless to say, I soon had much more in this upper than I originally intended. I already had a spare Bolt Carrier, charging handle, and scope, so I mated the upper with the old Sabre Defence 5.56 lower I already had.

left.jpgright.jpg

After a range trip last summer, I was severely disappointed. The gun would group a couple of shots, then start spreading them all over the paper. I put it away for a few months until I had time to work on it again. I was wondering if maybe the scope (not pictured) I had picked up in a trade had possibly some loose internal components. It's an old 1" Burris 4-12x R/A mini scope that has limited eye relief, but it should have been solid for testing purposes. As I got ready to remove it and the cheap Chinese cantilevered mount, I discovered the scope mount thru-bolts weren't tight on the Picatinny rail! I violated one of my own rules of always checking all screws & mounts for tightness before heading to the range! Tightened it up and took it to the range. After checking it at 50 yds with a couple of shots, I moved out to 100 yards and started adjusting the scope for zero. It was obvious it wanted to shoot:

3shot.jpgsighting2.jpg

Once I made my final adjustments, here is the final group. First shot (top) was immediately after adjusting the elevation and windage turrets. Last 4 shots are beside the dime. Using Hornady American Gunner bulk ammo from Sportsman's Warehouse. Rest was handguard laying on 1 sandbag atop a wooden 4x4 block. No sandbags or support in rear...just snugged up against my shoulder. These Sabre barrels can shoot!

last4.jpg
    Last edited by Old_School; 01-15-2019, 01:43 AM. Reason: Wrong handguard info
  • michael1778
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2015

Was that the cold bore shot up high?

Comment

• Old_School
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by michael1778 View Post
      Was that the cold bore shot up high?
      No. I had just readjusted the scope and it's probably 25+ years old. It was a pretty cold morning (35 degrees) and I suspect the old lube inside the scope wasn't allowing the erector assembly to freely move after making my adjustments. After the 1st shot, everything moved into proper position and the remaining 4 shots fell where they should.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

That is a keeper!

Comment

Working...
        X