• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roo_ster
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

First Grendel and AR15 Built: AA 16" Incursion Upper, PSA Lower & LPK

Or, at least the go-bang bits. Have scope mount and some other bits on order (forward picatinny sling mount, sling swivel, Limbsaver recoil pad for the Magpul stock, LaRue MBT-2S trigger).

* Alexander Arms 16" Incursion completed upper:

With an AA A2 flash hider. This is their lightest-weight upper, lighter than their "lightweight."

I wanted my first build--and the build for my wife & daughter--to be relatively trouble-free.

* PSA Blemished Bullet-Pictogram Lower
    I bought two. Could not discern any blemishes on either.

* Palmetto State Armory Magpul MOE Lower Build Kit, Black - 598
    This has a milspec trigger that has been finished pretty well. Smooth, but a little creepy. Probably 6+lbs. All in all not a bad trigger, but I want my wife & daughter to have it easier with the MBT-2S trigger. Will re-use milspec trigger on another build, maybe a HD build.

Alexander Arms complete rifles weigh in at 5.9lbs in this configuration, the usual M4 clones run about 6.5lbs.

==============

I will mount a Leupold 2-7x33mscope in a Warne XSKEL one-piece combo mount+ring deal.

Will mount a Midwest Industries sling mount deal on the handguard to implement a 2-point patrol sling. Neither wife nor daughter quite up to use of a sling as a shooting aid, so nothing lost mounting the sling this way.

Last, will mount a StreamlightTLR-1 green LED game light or one of my other TLR-1 gun lights up on the forearm for night hunts.

Have ordered Hornady 123gr SST, Hornady 123gr ELD-M Black, and Federal Fusion 120gr to see which shoots best or well-enough. And some cheap Wolf 100gr fodder.

==============

Build was simple. Last time I tinkered with AR15s was in the service nigh on 20 years ago. I had that experience plus other resources for the build. During the build, I relied mostly on Larry Potterfield's youtube video. I have all the tools, save the trigger guard ear block and the hammer block. Will get the hammer block for next build. I have 3 other stripped lowers that need building, so I don't think of the tool purchase as extravagant. Did not lose a spring or detent.

Took me a few hours. The first time I take on mechanical projects I take my time, as I have been burned by rushing and/or ham-fisting it in the past. I can't see any reason why I ought not to assemble a lower from parts in a single hour. Next builds, I will build totally from parts, to include the upper.

I have several mags, all steel deals form AA:
    2x 17 rnd
    1x 24 round "hi cap"
    1x 10 round
    1x 4 round

Everything function checks just fine. I was surprised at how front-heavy the AR15 is with a light weight collapsible butt stock. I had forgotten that. Were it not for NFA foolishness, I would consider a shorter (12" or so) build for wife & daughter to get mass even lower and shift balance rear-wards. I was thinking next to build a light(-er, given the art of hte possible & budget) weight 18" or 20" bbl variand for my own self.

Looking forward to checking it out with live ammo. This AR15 is for medium game, most likely hogs, then deer. Hope the SST and Fusion shoot well.
    Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
    ----Horace
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Sounds great! Pictures and range reports are always welcome.

Comment

• roo_ster
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      Sounds great! Pictures and range reports are always welcome.
      Got the mount in last night. Will mount scope and take some pics.

Will include range reports as they happen.
      Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
      ----Horace

Comment

Working...
      X