• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeepster18_88
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

BCA Grendel upper looks used?

I decided to look at the crown of the barrel after reading where someone had what looked to be a hacked off muzzle crown. There's a lot of powder build up across the muzzle and in the threads of the flash hider. I don't believe I've ever seen anything like that on a new gun after just the normal test firing. It looks more like a few hundred rounds of build up IMO. Maybe they just use really dirty test ammo. Has anyone else experienced this or is it more likely that they sent me a returned upper instead of a new one? I've already ran a half dozen patches through it and they look pretty nasty.
  • Cereal Thriller
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2019

call them and talk to someone about it.

if someone returns a barrel for whatever reason it should not go back out until fully inspected and if any doubt of it should be destroyed for potential liability.

Comment

• Jeepster18_88
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

I started going through the forums and it appears that they use cheap Russian ammo to function test. Makes sense to see a nasty bore but I'm surprised it wasn't cleaned before shipping out. Maybe I got one of the Friday deals. The outside definitely didn't look used and looks much better than the $250 price tag. If that's the only place they cut costs, I can deal with it. I'll take it for a test run in the morning.

Comment

• SightedIn
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

I had a friend awhile back that got a used upper from them( it was 223 though). He contemplated keeping it until he also noticed that Bca shipped it to him in a box with almost no padding so the side charge was bent. Between the two issues he said forget it and returned it.
        On the other hand i have bought two barrels from them(223, wouldnt dare grendel) the last one just last month, and both were fine and one shoots great actually. The other is not bad but not great so it gets a red dot

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Jeepster18_88 View Post
          I decided to look at the crown of the barrel after reading where someone had what looked to be a hacked off muzzle crown. There's a lot of powder build up across the muzzle and in the threads of the flash hider. I don't believe I've ever seen anything like that on a new gun after just the normal test firing. It looks more like a few hundred rounds of build up IMO. Maybe they just use really dirty test ammo. Has anyone else experienced this or is it more likely that they sent me a returned upper instead of a new one? I've already ran a half dozen patches through it and they look pretty nasty.
          J18:

If it shoots to your standards, might as well keep it. If it doesn't seem to shoot no matter what you do, they sent you a upper someone returned because it wouldn't shoot.

LR55

Comment

• Rangerofthenorth
            Warrior
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
            J18:

If it shoots to your standards, might as well keep it. If it doesn't seem to shoot no matter what you do, they sent you a upper someone returned because it wouldn't shoot.

LR55
            So they "recycle" their returns to new customers until "somebody" finally accepts it?!

Comment

• LTQZ
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2019

I got my 6.5 Grr upper from BCA. While it shot good, the chamber was really chewed which destroyed the brass, so I had my FFL send it back. They replaced the barrel, and returned the upper to me. The chamber is much better. They did send 3 spent cases and it is really cheep, steel case ammo and the barrel was very dirty. I will keep it, this barrel is more accurate, so far, than the first; however, I may do a custom build later. I really want to help out the "little guys" but there is a limit.
              Knowledge and understanding leads to Wisdom.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Rangerofthenorth View Post
                So they "recycle" their returns to new customers until "somebody" finally accepts it?!
                ROTN:

Have no idea if they deliberately do that or not. It wouldn't surprise me because not much does when it comes to mediocre AR-15 companies.

We have had guys document specific problems with barrels, return the barrel for repair, wait for a few months to a year, get a 'new' or 'repaired' barrel back only to find it was the same one they returned and nothing had been done. Have had enough of it for me to not trust most places.

If I were to spend my money on a complete rifle or upper, I would go with Precision, LaRue, or JP.

LR55

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  ROTN:

Have no idea if they deliberately do that or not. It wouldn't surprise me because not much does when it comes to mediocre AR-15 companies.

We have had guys document specific problems with barrels, return the barrel for repair, wait for a few months to a year, get a 'new' or 'repaired' barrel back only to find it was the same one they returned and nothing had been done. Have had enough of it for me to not trust most places.

If I were to spend my money on a complete rifle or upper, I would go with Precision, LaRue, or JP.

LR55
                  ^^++

Buy once, cry once.

Anymore, I just don't have the time to play the UPS lottery and hope for a 1 in 5 chance of getting a good fill in the blank from one of the lesser companies.

By going with a known good company, I save untold hours, dollars and trips to the range searching for the magic combination to make a barrel shoot. My Larue Ultimate Upper required nothing more than a couple of boxes of factory ammo to settle it down and prove it could shoot. Mark, at Precision has been one real stand up guy, with great products, and his receivers are second to none. I spent a bit of money on a few different BHW barrels, all of which rewarded me with some very very nice shooting rifles. I can't speak to them now, but they were an excellent value, 6 or 7 years ago.

The most effective tool at my disposal just happens to be my checkbook, applied judiciously to a skilled, knowledgeable merchant.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

I just looked into the muzzle on my new unfired BCA upper and there appears to be a lot of powder residue built up on the face of the crown and the threads of the flash hider. It doesn't look like normal test firing but more like several hundred rounds have went through it. Has anyone else experienced anything like that with

Seems like others on the forum have experienced problems with BCA stuff.

Comment

• Jeepster18_88
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

It doesn't appear that this is a used upper. I'm just not used to seeing powder residue left on something from the manufacturer. I'll get it broke in and see what it will do soon. Either way, my rifles are all short range hunters and $250 for a complete upper shipped to my house is a bargain. I don't mind a challenge and welcome any company that can build an affordable and functional firearm at a cost point that it attracts people to the sport. It will not be my last upper by them.

Comment

• MOCCW
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Jeepster18_88 View Post
                        I have a very similar problem.It came in a cardboard box with no protection. The finish on the upper look as if it was rub off. I have not been to the range to test it out.oh one other thing it did not have the 3 fired rounds in the box.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

WoW look at that. Yet anouther thread about problems with a BCA product.

Op send it back for a refund and buy something of better quality. Don't not waist your time, effort and hard earned money on their junk, just move on.

Comment

• FLshooter
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2019

Take the advice and contact their CS.They will tell you to their Warranty Dept an email and you’ll have a return label in a few days.Their CS is vey customer friendly and will take care of it.

Comment

• Grumpy
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                              WoW look at that. Yet anouther thread about problems with a BCA product.

Op send it back for a refund and buy something of better quality. Don't not waist your time, effort and hard earned money on their junk, just move on.
                              Fact. But first, tape a copper-clad US penny to it so you can legally claim that you returned something of value.
                              The king answered, "Say this: 'Don't let the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.'" 1 Kings 20:11

Comment

Working...
                              X